Money Spent

Missed Sticks

Roeder has so far spent £15m on two players - Martins £10m and Duff £5m. Rossi, Sibierski and Bernard cost us only a minimal fee in the case of Sib.

He's sold Viana £1.7m, Chopra £500k, Faye £2m and Boumsong £3.3m total of over £7.5m.

We've also lost some players due to their contract expiring. Brittain for example but most noticeably Alan Shearer who will have been lifting £3m minimum in my opinion.

That pretty much suggests that Roeders outlay in terms of fees paid is £15m out and £7.5m in give or take a couple of hundred thousand here and there.

The Club are also saving up to £8m this season in the way of both Shearer and for the duration of his injury, Owens (£5m) wages.

So the £7.5m recieved plus the £8m wages saved means that in actual fact Roeder has wheeled and dealed and hasn't spent anything of note, if at all.

Consider the wages of the sold players will go a long way if not all the way to covering the wages of the 'new' players.

Also, Bowyer wasn't mentioned. Anyway, i'm sure some of you have read it, just wondering if any of you money heads could confirm if this is the case.

We're not saving on all of Owen's injuries. I think we are in line for £2m of the likely £5m but the rest depends on the upcoming court action and there are no guarantees on that.

You still can't hide from the fact that, Duff aside, we've replaced shit with shit. I'm not counting Martins in this, because the jury is still out on him, but I personally think we've been done for £10m.

I think that's harsh tbh. I'm sure he will score goals for us but I admit I think we have spent over the odds at £10m when you look at who we could have signed for less.

The two main 'savings' being attributed to Roeder in that quote are on Shearer and Owen's wages-both of which developments have been nothing to do with him. How is that Roeder wheeling and dealing? Shearer retired and Owen got crocked.

Also as with any serious injury, it could be that Owen comes back a shadow of the player he formerly was, meaning his value might have been decimated overnight. Just as I think it's ridiculous to attribute those apparent 'savings' to Glenn, equally I'd hardly think it fair to Roeder if he was blamed for wiping 20-odd million of the clubs balance sheet either if Owen came back shite.

You still can't hide from the fact that, Duff aside, we've replaced shit with shit. I'm not counting Martins in this, because the jury is still out on him, but I personally think we've been done for £10m.

I think that's harsh tbh. I'm sure he will score goals for us but I admit I think we have spent over the odds at £10m when you look at who we could have signed for less.

He's obviously got the quality so we'll see what happens. The £10 million price tag is the biggest flashing neon sign that it was a panic buy that you will ever see however.

It's completely hypothetical of course because we cant know for certain, but I think we could have had Martins for half that if our timing and managerial acumen/pulling power had been better. And thats if we'd actually settled on him in the first place (which is clearly doubtful, it's almost certain he was all that was left that was willing to come in the circumstances).

I think it's those sort of deals that show how much in actual fact having Roeder as manager can cost us in real terms. I know he's cost us nowt to appoint and his wages wont be much compared to his forebears, but signings like that show this to be a false economy. I don't blame Glenn for this, but the chairman. The same thing can be said for when he appointed Souness as some of his transfer deals were amongst the most over inflated in the club's history. This is because Souness didnt have a fucking clue long term and was just dealing with crises as and when they arose.

Bobby was the last manager to have a long term plan, the problem with that being he was obviously getting on a bit and couldnt have followed it through himself. That should have been obvious to even the likes of Shepherd however and this situation needed strong leadership and foresight. The circumstances of his dismissal and Souness' appointment therefore have to rank alongside the most spectacular instances of mismanagement of a top level football club in the past ten years.

He's obviously got the quality so we'll see what happens. The £10 million price tag is the biggest flashing neon sign that it was a panic buy that you will ever see however.

It's completely hypothetical of course because we cant know for certain, but I think we could have had Martins for half that if our timing and managerial acumen/pulling power had been better. And thats if we'd actually settled on him in the first place (which is clearly doubtful, it's almost certain he was all that was left that was willing to come in the circumstances).

I think it's those sort of deals that show how much in actual fact having Roeder as manager can cost us in real terms. I know he's cost us nowt to appoint and his wages wont be much compared to his forebears, but signings like that show this to be a false economy. I don't blame Glenn for this, but the chairman. The same thing can be said for when he appointed Souness as some of his transfer deals were amongst the most over inflated in the club's history. This is because Souness didnt have a fucking clue long term and was just dealing with crises as and when they arose.

Bobby was the last manager to have a long term plan, the problem with that being he was obviously getting on a bit and couldnt have followed it through himself. That should have been obvious to even the likes of Shepherd however and this situation needed strong leadership and foresight. The circumstances of his dismissal and Souness' appointment therefore have to rank alongside the most spectacular instances of mismanagement of a top level football club in the past ten years.

Good post, I agree entirely except I'm not yet convinced by Martins' quality and can still see him being a flop, which frankly will be disastrous.

Good post, I agree entirely except I'm not yet convinced by Martins' quality and can still see him being a flop, which frankly will be disastrous.

Howay man, did you not see those somersaults!? :lol:

Manc-mag in using howay in the right context shocker! :D

Spelled correctly too, some people should take note.

:lol:

"Half-way the Lads" I feel sorry for Cath, sitting next to that fuckwit at the match!

Any chance I could have Gemmill's Geordieship? He's clearly an imposter and I promise to give it a reet good go.

That's "reet canny gan"

I reckon you're an imposter anarl, reet over-egged that, and no proper Geordie could be a gayer. :lol:

Any chance I could have Gemmill's Geordieship? He's clearly an imposter and I promise to give it a reet good go.

I've actually witnessed him trying to converse with genuine Geordies on a match day and I'd say about 70% of them havent got a clue what he's talking about. He thinks I dont notice cos I'm from Manchester, but the looks on some of their faces as he attempts the most rudimentary colloquialisms has to be seen to be rightly understood.

I'm not saying Martins is terrible, I'm just saying he doesn't look a £10m footballer. Overpriced.

Most expensive player in the world per inch - FACT.

Not sure about that - Michael Owen was only a few inches bigger for an extra 8 million not to mention his wages & Martins has probably played more games for us already although I guess Owen has more goals!

Well with the fans behind him he can only succeed. :lol: