Streetfighter - The Later Years

BlueStar

:lol: You dweeb. I would even let you pick which character I needed to be, and I would still lace you all over the place with manic button pressing and anti-clockwise circle movements on the directional pad. You would be diving for the reset button.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol: You dweeb. I would even let you pick which character I needed to be, and I would still lace you all over the place with manic button pressing and anti-clockwise circle movements on the directional pad. You would be diving for the reset button.

Whatever. :lol:

Anyone else agree with Gemmill's assertion there is no skill in fighting games?

he's wrong but just like the Howay arguement he's never going to back down. He's quickly turning into a slightly more amusing version of Leazes tbh

he's wrong but just like the Howay arguement he's never going to back down. He's quickly turning into a slightly more amusing version of Leazes tbh

Do you or do you not think we were wrong to sell Craig Bellamy?

Guest Patrokles

there's definitely skill and style involved in fighting games, no question about it.

BUT, having said that, skill isn't a prerequisite to winning.

there's definitely skill and style involved in fighting games, no question about it.

In the same way that it isn't a prerequisite for winning at anything, YES.

Guest Patrokles

No, but especially. Take a chess grandmaster against someone who has never played before. There's no way the GM would lose. Take a professional football side playing a team comprised of people who have never played football. Take a javelin thrower who has trained for years, compared to someone who has never thrown one before. I could give innumerable other examples. If you said to those people: 'look, just: move the pieces/kick the ball in the goal/throw the fucking thing,' they would not be anywhere close to competing.

In a beat-em-up, if you give the d-pad to someone who has never played before, and say 'mate, just press all the fucking buttons in a random order as quickly as you can,' they would stand a fairly good chance of victory.

No, but especially. Take a chess grandmaster against someone who has never played before. There's no way the GM would lose. Take a professional football side playing a team comprised of people who have never played football. Take a javelin thrower who has trained for years, compared to someone who has never thrown one before. I could give innumerable other examples. If you said to those people: 'look, just: move the pieces/kick the ball in the goal/throw the fucking thing,' they would not be anywhere close to competing.

In a beat-em-up, if you give the d-pad to someone who has never played before, and say 'mate, just press all the fucking buttons in a random order as quickly as you can,' they would stand a fairly good chance of victory.

You think a player who'd played Street Fighter for as many hours as a professional footballer or chess grandmaster had played their respective games, would have problems with a button basher?

Guest Patrokles

You think a player who'd played Street Fighter for as many hours as a professional footballer or chess grandmaster had played their respective games, would have problems with a button basher?

Alright then, name me another occasion where a complete and utter newcomer who has never played or had anything remotely to do with the sport/game/situation can come and trounce someone who has played for a considerable length of time?

I can think of things like Paper, Scissors, Stone, etc. none of which involve skill.

Alright then, name me another occasion where a complete and utter newcomer who has never played or had anything remotely to do with the sport/game/situation can come and trounce someone who has played for a considerable length of time?

I can think of things like Paper, Scissors, Stone, etc. none of which involve skill.

What a vague argument, are you having trouble backing up your claim that skill is not pre-requisite as in other sports? So what we're now going to argue is whether it's closer in comlexity to Chess or Cock/Muff/Bumhole?

I've never met anyone who plays Street Fighter at the level of a Grand Master tbh.

I do agree there's skill involved, but this thread is far too amusing to stop now. :)

:(

Indeed! Renton's right, Gemmill is wrong but its been entertaining reading the thread!

Obviously a "spastic button basher" or whatever it was Renton called Gemmill has a slight chance of snatching a victory against an expert but that's the same as an FA cup uspet. Get the expert and basher to play a number of times and the expert will cane the "Gemmill" pretty much every time.

I was ok at street fighter type games but on the amiga i'd cane anyone at SWOS, Kick off 2 or Speedball 2 and Gemmil can do as much random bashing as he likes to no avail :D

Fishing/angling! You could spend years mastering the fineries of the sport and have some flukey bastard come along and land a giant fish the likes of which you dream about on their first go!

I do agree there's skill involved, but this thread is far too amusing to stop now. :)

:(

Indeed! Renton's right, Gemmill is wrong but its been entertaining reading the thread!

Obviously a "spastic button basher" or whatever it was Renton called Gemmill has a slight chance of snatching a victory against an expert but that's the same as an FA cup uspet. Get the expert and basher to play a number of times and the expert will cane the "Gemmill" pretty much every time.

I was ok at street fighter type games but on the amiga i'd cane anyone at SWOS, Kick off 2 or Speedball 2 and Gemmil can do as much random bashing as he likes to no avail :D

Only in the throes of passion tbh.

And "cane the Gemmill"? Starting to worry about this place...

Guest Patrokles

What a vague argument, are you having trouble backing up your claim that skill is not pre-requisite as in other sports? So what we're now going to argue is whether it's closer in comlexity to Chess or Cock/Muff/Bumhole?

I've never met anyone who plays Street Fighter at the level of a Grand Master tbh.

Good job of answering my question. I can only suggest that you saw the argument as vague because you didn't understand it. I wasn't referring there to a GM Street Fighter player, but simply a player who has played for a good amount of time without being obsessed by it.

I do agree there's skill involved, but this thread is far too amusing to stop now. :(

:D

I was ok at street fighter type games but on the amiga i'd cane anyone at SWOS, Kick off 2 or Speedball 2 and Gemmil can do as much random bashing as he likes to no avail :rolleyes:

Only in the throes of passion tbh.

And "cane the Gemmill"? Starting to worry about this place...

:)

Sounds a bit like a euphamism tbh, as in Jimbo is just off to "Cane the Gemmill", it also implies that Gemmill is a cock, so it works on many levels. :D

Sounds a bit like a euphamism tbh, as in Jimbo is just off to "Cane the Gemmill", it also implies that Gemmill is a cock, so it works on many levels. :D

:) Gold! Sorry Gemmill, but I'm making it my internet project for the year that that one sticks. :(

I may regret it...

Guest Patrokles

Why would someone as smart as you need to resort to insults. Strange..it's almost as if you're not as smart as you think you are. :)

I never really claimed to be smart. Just really fucking awesome.

p.s. you still dodge my question admirably.

p.p.s. I see no insults. Your persecution complex is worse than mine!

Edited by Patrokles