Slow news day?

peasepud

Top News story on ITV 10.30 news is about a muslim woman who has been attacked in Liverpool.

Not a good thing, I agree however when they go into the story what happened was the bloke that attacked her shouted some abuse and then pulled her headscarf off.

So basically the top news should have the headline.....

"Woman has scarf removed in street attack".

Not exactly ground breaking news like, Im sure the families of people murdered, some old granny thats been mugged etc will be wondering what makes this story so special.

And no before anyone decides to say that Im being racist, my view on the whole wearing of veils, headscarfs etc are that each to their own, people should be able to wear what they want when they want.

Its just not big news tbh.

the whole head scarf thing is pissing me off now, i live in blackburn for me sins and these women are everywhere and the way things are in the world at the moment it could be anyone under there, now i'm not jackie straws biggest fan by a long way but he is a high profile mp, if this bloke is holding these meetings with people who are wearing these scarfs then who is to say that it is who its ment to be under the thing, just my opinion but living amongst it is p'ing my off

Some of these women may wear it due to religious reasons but this isn't an Islamic state and whilst I respect their choice to wear it they aren't making the effort they should be to try to break down the barriers between Islamic and the British culture.

And it is the usual complete overreaction to anyone even mentioning any issue to do with Islam, fair play to Jack Straw for speaking out but the reaction from certain Muslim leaders haven't done them any favours.

ive said before that the muslim community needs to employ someone like max clifford to help with their PR.

i also think that if, as part of someones religion, a person wishes to wear a certain type of clothing a certain way - then they should be allowed to.

a minorities integration into a larger community has got fuck all to do with the clothes they wear tbh.

a minorities integration into a larger community has got fuck all to do with the clothes they wear tbh.

Usually I'd agree but when a woman is covered from head to toe apart from her eyes it naturally projects a negative image of the person. British Muslims have to realise that if they are to live here peacefully they have to make some effort to integrate with British culture in the same way that the public, which to a large extent have already done, have to accept their differences.

I wonder what else happened today then?

Hmmm......

Friday, October 06, 2006

The bomb factory you won't hear about posted by bat020

Police officers raided a home in Lancashire on Monday night and uncovered a huge cache of chemicals used to make explosives. Officers say it is the largest haul of such chemicals ever found in this country. One man has already appeared in front of Burnley magistrates charged under the Explosives Substances Act 1883. Another man has also been charged after a raid on his house uncovered rocket launcher and a nuclear biological suit.

You'd have thought this would be national front page news, wouldn't you? After all the hype, at last we have solid evidence of terrorists attempting to perpetrate a murderous outrage on the population - prosecutors say the pair had "some kind of master plan".

Except, of course, that the men charged are not Asian Islamists, but white fascists. Robert Cottage, who has been charged for the explosives haul, stood for the BNP in Colne at the last elections.

Source: http://leninology.blogspot.com/2006/10/bom...hear-about.html

I can see why a story like this didn't make the news on such a momentous day as today.

Edited by indigo

in wanting these women to cast off their veils, is it for their benefit ? or for ours ??

Both, as Luke said it is a sign of oppression and from the public's pyschological view they wouldn't seem so strange and mysterious and therefore would be more ready to accept them.

The shite being spouted by some Muslim leaders doesn't help, in moving to a foreign country they are going to have to adapt, that doesn't just go for Muslims but for everyone, the same way that we and our women should respect their culture by not walking through their streets semi-naked whilst on holiday there.

The problem of Muslims and integration into society isn't going to disappear any time soon and its going to need a bit of give and take from both sides but as of yet they have not appeared willing to compromise.

Am I mistaken or are headscarves not mentioned in the Qu'ran? Aren't they a cultural rather than religious thing? In which case they are used to subjugate women and keep them as private possesions of the husband / father. I would like to point out I understand I may be wrong and if I am fair enough.

Am I mistaken or are headscarves not mentioned in the Qu'ran? Aren't they a cultural rather than religious thing? In which case they are used to subjugate women and keep them as private possesions of the husband / father. I would like to point out I understand I may be wrong and if I am fair enough.

As far as I know the Quran mentions dressing with modesty and covering up but doesn't specifically mention covering the face so it does appear to be a cultural thing rather than religious.

as someone said on the nwes, it's no different to a jew wearing a skullcap.

No different to wearing a skullcap the size of an elephant's diaphragm.

Guest Patrokles

I don't think elephants use birth control. That's why we have to shoot them.

:)

Good thing with an elephant though is that they'd never forget to wear their diaphragm!

Whether its a cultural thing, a religious thing or both the fact remains its about oppressing women as from their youth onwards they aren't given a choice of not wearing something and are brought up to believe they should do it and that its right.

Sometimes they argue it actually empowers women or that its a matter of choice and a relief to wear them and not have to worry about appearance or men looking at them as sex objects. But put simply look at women round the world who are not made to do this by their religion/culture and how many choose to go round in a burqa or hijab (Sp?) and the answer is none.

Personally i wouldn' say they can't wear them, i'd say the woman should have complete freedom of choice to wear or not wear what they like, the same as their men do. However this isn't an option as they've been brought up to wear them regardless of their own personal preference, so the only "choice" is which type of covering they go for, and for all you know that "choice" may have been made by their father/husband.