SKY+ is dead

Jimbo

Keeps freezing up on playback, read up on a few websites and it sounds like its the hard drive fucked, out of warranty too.

Might be a good excuse for an upgrade !!!

for £90 you can get a 250gig hard drive that will give 120 hours of playback.

Standard Hard drive in mine is only 40gig, 20hrs playback, very tempted !!!

Keeps freezing up on playback, read up on a few websites and it sounds like its the hard drive fucked, out of warranty too.

theres just regular hard drives arnt they ?

£90 should buy you 400gb or even 500gb from ebay if your lucky.

theres just regular hard drives arnt they ?

£90 should buy you 400gb or even 500gb from ebay if your lucky.

Nah they are "CE" hard drives whatever that is, specifically for PVR's like SKY+ or Tivo, although there are basic Maxtor drives that work but only specific models.

seemingly theres a load of standard HDs that work fine in SKY+ including:

250Gb Samsung SpinPoint™ P80 ATA-133 (7200rpm,8mb) - PATA

Have a look over here > http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=355381

Cheers, been reading that, seems Maxtor and Samsung are the ones to go for !

My Sky + box is also doing the freeze thingy.

I thought i would have to get a new box. Can i just buy and install a compatible hard drive? Won't that mean having to phone those wankers at Sky and have them reconfigure all the gubbins?

I would really like to avoid paying shitloads for a new box

I really wish I understood all this :lol:

I would love to kick Telewest into touch.

Sky+ :

How much to install?

How much is it per month after that?

Does it, can it, service two (maybe more) tv's?

Can Sky provide internet and phone also?

Do I get a blow job with it on a regular basis?

Questions, questions. Anyone know the answers?

Sky+ :

How much to install? £99 for SKY+ box, Free installation if you choose multiroom (ie aditional sky box in another room to watch other channels. if not installation is £60

How much is it per month after that? you need a multi channel package to get SKY+ without having to pay the £10 a month additional SKY+ fee, so I would guess you'll be atleast spending £35 a month.

Does it, can it, service two (maybe more) tv's? two options, choose SKY multi room which is another £10 a month or get a digi-sender that will wirelessly transmit your sky signal to another room, only drawback is that you can only watch what is on the first TV

Can Sky provide internet and phone also? yes and yes

Do I get a blow job with it on a regular basis? no

Same has kept happening to my Sky+, bastard hard drives gone totally on the blink now after a number of previous reboots brought it back to life. Time to move on now getting HD next week, pricy but what the fuck i watch enough footy to justify it.

Upgrade arrived, fitted it inside 15mins, works like a charm !

120hrs recording time ! Soccer AM takes only 4% drive space rather than 25% !

Highly recommended !!!

Highly recommended !!!

How much did it end up costing and how easy is it to fit?

£90 with postage, took 15mins to fit, you get all the tools to do the job, instructions are brilliant, and a piece of piss to do !

Highly recommended !!!

£90 with postage, took 15mins to fit, you get all the tools to do the job, instructions are brilliant, and a piece of piss to do !

Did you have to inform Sky?

Do you lose all your recordings and those awaiting recording?

Cheers :calmdown:

Highly recommended !!!

Nope, not informed SKY, I've had it 3 years so I consider it mine, yes I did lose my recordings and my Series links but it only took a few minutes to re program them, you can get a program that will back these up but it requires connecting your old and new drives to a PC to back it up, seemed more trouble than its worth.

Highly recommended !!!

Nope, not informed SKY, I've had it 3 years so I consider it mine, yes I did lose my recordings and my Series links but it only took a few minutes to re program them, you can get a program that will back these up but it requires connecting your old and new drives to a PC to back it up, seemed more trouble than its worth.

Thanks, i might just get it then. As long as Sky won't stop me telly or anything :calmdown:

The only downside of upgrading your harddrive on the standard 40GB machine is that, when you get a fair few recordings stored, the program synopsis seems to get a bit muddled - i.e. you press the Info button on your recording of 'Be Cool' and you get the skinny on the latest episode of 'Ghost Whisperer'!

Other than that, I've had a 250GB drive in mine for almost 2 years now and haven't had any problems with it.

The only downside of upgrading your harddrive on the standard 40GB machine is that, when you get a fair few recordings stored, the program synopsis seems to get a bit muddled - i.e. you press the Info button on your recording of 'Be Cool' and you get the skinny on the latest episode of 'Ghost Whisperer'!

Other than that, I've had a 250GB drive in mine for almost 2 years now and haven't had any problems with it.

That happens on my box now mate and I've done no upgrades, so I don't think that's as a result of you upgrading.

What I don't understand is where you find the time to watch that much telly though. Once mine gets over half full (10 hours) I pretty much know I'm going to be deleting at least 5 hours off there because I'll never get round to watching it. How can you watch 120 hours worth of stuff?! Do you have a lot of stuff on there that you plan to keep forever or something?

Is Sky+ free to Sky World subscribers? Had the full package for years now but never been arsed with Sky+.

What about 'installation'? Is it worth having?

Edited by nufc4ever

Sky + is absolute class. It used to be free to Skyworld subscribers. Well, the deal was that you either paid for your installation or you got the installation free if you moved your old box to a different room and paid £10 extra a month for multiroom. Not sure what the current deal is.

There is no ongoing subscription cost if you've got premium channels though.

One thing I always wondered is - the pause live TV function; when you resume is it playing from a stream back from the HDD or does it go back to live pictures?

Just always thought it would be great to pause it for 10mins or so then start watching. That way you could fast forward though the adverts. Or is that just a load of rubbish? :calmdown:

One thing I always wondered is - the pause live TV function; when you resume is it playing from a stream back from the HDD or does it go back to live pictures?

Just always thought it would be great to pause it for 10mins or so then start watching. That way you could fast forward though the adverts. Or is that just a load of rubbish? :calmdown:

With the exception of live football that is how I watch most of my TV. I never watch any programmes when they are actually aired but watch them later and by fast forwarding through the breaks watch hour long programmes in about 40 mins.