Co-Op

Noelie

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tbh I'm still pretty convinced you were bored and spoiling for a fight from the off. I still think you are. I still can't be arsed.

Edit: for Renton's alter-ego :calmdown:

Edited by alex

Tbh I'm still pretty convinced you were bored and spoiling for a fight from the off. I still think you are. I still can't be arsed.

:calmdown: I'm telling you I'm not, why would I bother lying about it? Some people found the discussion interesting, and funny in places. How have I given the impression i'm spoiling for a fight?

The amount of times I've been misread on this site is astounding tbh. Hope SB was right about me being difficult to read. :calmdown:

Edited by ObaGol

http://zapatopi.net/metrictime/

Should we change to Metric Time too?

No, it's not really necessary, time is already in straight forward units that everyone understands and were designed to be easy to do calculations with (very easy to divide 24 and 60). The SI unit is the second, and everything beneath that is metric/decimal anyway. You could also get rid of degrees and replace with radians, but that is far too hard to visualize......

We should get rid of Fahrenheit though - another ridiculous system, now used only in the US and by pensioners thankfully.

10 metric hours in a day

100 metric minutes in a metric hour

100 metric seconds in a metric minute

10 days in a metric week (called a dekade)

Well, I can't see any problems with that.

http://zapatopi.net/metrictime/

Should we change to Metric Time too?

No, it's not really necessary, time is already in straight forward units that everyone understands and were designed to be easy to do calculations with (very easy to divide 24 and 60). The SI unit is the second, and everything beneath that is metric/decimal anyway. You could also get rid of degrees and replace with radians, but that is far too hard to visualize......

stick in the mud, you are as bad as Noellie

We should get rid of Fahrenheit though - another ridiculous system, now used only in the US and by pensioners thankfully.

How is that any worse than imperial system, though? Things like seconds in a week are a pain to work out.

Sorry to dwell on it, I don't want to seem like I'm spoiling (which Alex sounds like he is tbh!) Seriously Alex, are you in a bad mood today? :calmdown:

How is that any worse than imperial system, though? Things like seconds in a week are a pain to work out.

Sorry to dwell on it, I don't want to seem like I'm spoiling (which Alex sounds like he is tbh!) Seriously Alex, are you in a bad mood today? :calmdown:

The thing is the imperial system is completely irrational - 16 ounces in a pound, 14 pounds in a stone, fuck knows how many stones in a ton etc. Then there's length, area, volume etc. The other day Meenzers fat hom joke was almost loss because Gemmill didn't know there were 6 feet in a fathom.

I can live with 24 and 60, and they are easily divisible. To change would be horrific and lead to the collapse of civilisation for a time imo. And anyway, who needs to know how many seconds there are in a week?

The other day Meenzers fat hom joke was almost loss because Gemmill didn't know there were 6 feet in a fathom.

Undoubtedly the best argument in favour of the metric system in this thread to date. :calmdown:

Calculations like that would be reasonbly common for programming any date based functions.

I just don't see how 16 - 14 - 142 is any less rational than 60 - 60 - 24 - 7 - 4.4.

EDIT: Now you've got me interested in the origins of these things, when there are other things I need to be doing! Month/day/season/year all easy, but why hour? And if we'd been raised on octal would it be any more copmplex than decimal?

Edited by ObaGol

The thing is the imperial system is completely irrational - 16 ounces in a pound, 14 pounds in a stone, fuck knows how many stones in a ton etc. Then there's length, area, volume etc. The other day Meenzers fat hom joke was almost loss because Gemmill didn't know there were 6 feet in a fathom.

I can live with 24 and 60, and they are easily divisible. To change would be horrific and lead to the collapse of civilisation for a time imo. And anyway, who needs to know how many seconds there are in a week?

Er excuse me, dickwad! I made the connection between the fathom and six feet, so shut it. :calmdown:

Calculations like that would be reasonbly common for programming any date based functions.

I just don't see how 16 - 14 - 142 is any less rational than 60 - 60 - 24 - 7 - 4.4.

It would be too difficult to change time, and it's a universal system, unlike the imperial system, which only exists in a small number of countries which were once part of the commmon wealth.

Also there are some factors youcan't change about time - for instance how many times the sun rotates before it orbits the sun - so whatever you do would be a bit of a fudge.

And if we'd been raised on octal would it be any more copmplex than decimal?

No, not if you were used to it and had 8 digits. In fact, it would be considerably easier, as it has 2 and 4 as its factors (handy for converting binary too).

Er excuse me, dickwad! I made the connection between the fathom and six feet, so shut it. :calmdown:

Only after clarification, turnip brain.

It would be too difficult to change time, and it's a universal system, unlike the imperial system, which only exists in a small number of countries which were once part of the commmon wealth.

Also there are some factors youcan't change about time - for instance how many times the sun rotates before it orbits the sun - so whatever you do would be a bit of a fudge.

Space and time are interwoven and therefore as unchangeable as each other, no? It's only their representation that we're talking about, the distance from Newcastle to Paris isn't changing any more than rotations of the Sun. Now you've reminded me of my pet hate, all the things you're talking about cause no real problems for programming, but American date format has been a huge fucking problem for us, A LOT. Now that's something I'd like to see someone hang for!

Just had an e-mail from a cousin whose daughter works for the Co-Op and she says that the Co-Op store on Newgate Street and the one in Gateshead are up for sale.

Sad isn't it when stores and company's you've grown up with and known all your life disappear, more British identity lost :calmdown:

Award-winningly off topic. I really have to go do some work now.

Space and time are interwoven and therefore as unchangeable as each other, no? It's only their representation that we're talking about, the distance from Newcastle to Paris isn't changing any more than rotations of the Sun. Now you've reminded me of my pet hate, all the things you're talking about cause no real problems for programming, but American date format has been a huge fucking problem for us, A LOT. Now that's something I'd like to see someone hang for!

The numbers of days in a year is absolute though. Presumably we are all agreed a year and a day are important concepts, so this limits how we can represent time. The distance between Paris and London is only important in how it relates to other distances, surely.

The American date system is wrong, I agree, the wankers!