*Tyne Bridge Travel News*

catmag

There's been an incident ongoing since about midnight and both the Swing Bridge and the Tyne Bridge are currently CLOSED. Police are in negotiations with a man who sounds like he's trying to hoy himself over the side.

Just thought I should warn you!!

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, if he was serious, surely he would have just turned up and lobbed himself over the side. It would never have got to the stage where the police even got there, never mind negotiated with him for 7 or 8 hours.

By the way, if he was serious, surely he would have just turned up and lobbed himself over the side. It would never have got to the stage where the police even got there, never mind negotiated with him for 7 or 8 hours.

If i ever need a sympathetic ear i know where to come....

I'm guessing Gemmill wasn't entirely serious, but my office is next to the bridge and it's frequently shut by would-be jumpers. The successful ones do it straight away however, I've never seen one being talked down jump. Whatever their problems, it's pretty selfish.

Edit: re-reading it, I can't see what you're getting at? I agree with Gemmill.

Edited by Renton

I'm guessing Gemmill wasn't entirely serious, but my office is next to the bridge and it's frequently shut by would-be jumpers. The successful ones do it straight away however, I've never seen one being talked down jump. Whatever their problems, it's pretty selfish.

Edit: re-reading it, I can't see what you're getting at? I agree with Gemmill.

Pair of bastards. :blink:

There's been an incident ongoing since about midnight and both the Swing Bridge and the Tyne Bridge are currently CLOSED. Police are in negotiations with a man who sounds like he's trying to hoy himself over the side.

Both bridges shut?

Cant he make his mind up where he wants to jump from ? :blink:

Both bridges shut?

Cant he make his mind up where he wants to jump from ? :blink:

He was armed as well. So not only could he not make his mind up which bridge to jump off, he couldn't make his mind up how to kill himself.

Or there is a good Negotiator.... Come to think of it... Maybe thats what Rob W does for a living...

Needed someone to help him on his way! :blink:

9 times out of ten its attention seeking as people who really want to commit suicide will already have done it by a more quick, efficient and discreet method away from the public eye.

So Gemmill is right, either get on with it or stop messing everybody else lives up as well!!!

9 times out of ten its attention seeking as people who really want to commit suicide will already have done it by a more quick, efficient and discreet method away from the public eye.

So Gemmill is right, either get on with it or stop messing everybody else lives up as well!!!

I would tend use the term "cry for help" rather than "attention seeking" tbh.

Crying for help armed with a gun though? I think you're probably right, and you have to have some pity for an individual that feels for whatever reason that they need to do something like that, but it's still fucking annoying.

What happened in the end anyway? Did he hoy himself off?

Crying for help armed with a gun though? I think you're probably right, and you have to have some pity for an individual that feels for whatever reason that they need to do something like that, but it's still fucking annoying.

If he had a gun they were justified in shooting him down imo.

After he'd jumped? :blink: In case he flew into a building or something?

If he'd only gone on the millenium they could have just tilted him off. In fact they could have just kept tilting him up and down until he made his mind up.

After he'd jumped? :blink: In case he flew into a building or something?

He didn't jump though? I would have given him 10 minutes for 3 options - come down, jump, or get shot. Sorted.