Michael Shields on his way home

bobbyshinton

"Shields has always insisted he played no part in the attack on the barman, claiming he was asleep in his hotel when it took place.

Another Liverpool man, 20-year-old Graham Sankey, made a written confession to the attack after returning to the UK, although his solicitor now claims he was referring to a different brawl. "

ahhh - Liverpudlians - don't yaa love 'em?

It seems to be a miscarriage of justice so I hope he is freed soon enough. It's a disgrace the money that had to be paid too.

Probably did it imo.

Ten years starting in 2005 - but with time oof he would be out in 5 on a British tariff - I'm not sure if we have to apply Bulgarian rules or not in cases like this - I'm pretty sure we can't change the original sentence or finding of Guilty mind

from the Beeb

Jailed fan set for return to UK

Michael Shields is serving a 10-year sentence in Bulgaria

The Bulgarian authorities said the formalities had been completed to allow Michael Shields, 19, of Liverpool, to serve his sentence in Britain.

The Liverpool fan is serving 10 years for the attempted murder of a barman during a brawl in Varna in May 2005.

A spokeswoman for the campaign to clear his name said: "He could be back by next weekend."

Innocence campaign

The Foreign Office confirmed on Thursday that the Bulgarian authorities had authorised the transfer. A spokesman said: "We will now be making arrangements for the transfer of Michael Shields to a UK prison."

The Shields family have campaigned to prove his innocence and, in the meantime, have him moved to a British prison.

The Bulgarian court had ordered that a fine of almost £70,000, and interest, together totalling nearly £90,000, had to be paid before Michael was able to be transferred.

Sleep claim

The money was collected by his family and supporters in a fundraising campaign and has now been paid. Bulgarian prosecutor Kamen Mihov told the news agency AFP: "The lengthy procedure of Shields' transfer was finally completed as his family paid the 200,000-leva (£68,580) fine together with the accumulated interest of 50,000-leva (£17,145)."

Shields has always insisted he played no part in the attack on the barman, claiming he was asleep in his hotel when it took place. Another Liverpool man, 20-year-old Graham Sankey, made a written confession to the attack after returning to the UK, although his solicitor now claims he was referring to a different brawl.

Edited by Rob W

It's great that during all this free an innocent man coverage, no one seems to give a stuff about the bloke whose head got squashed to about half it's normal size when all he was doing was trying to make a living and feed his family.

Obviously not as compelling a story than some supposedly innocent brit imprisoned abroad for the likes of Trevor McDonald.

It seems to be a miscarriage of justice so I hope he is freed soon enough. It's a disgrace the money that had to be paid too.

Probably did it imo.

Why did someone else claim responsibility, only to retract his confession when he realised the consequences? Personally from what I have read I reckon he's innocent, but I'm certain his guilt was nowhere near proven beyond reasonable doubt, or even in the balance of probabilites.

Maybe I'm biting, and no doubt I will get labelled as a scouse lover again, but the city he comes from is irrelevant, my sympathies would be the same if he was a mackem. Some people in this thread want to have a look at their prejudices and think how they would feel if they were 19 and fitted up for something they hadn't done by Eastern European gestapo.

Edited by Renton

Probably did it imo.

Why did someone else claim responsibility, only to retract his confession when he realised the consequences? Personally from what I have read I reckon he's innocent, but I'm certain his guilt was nowhere near proven beyond reasonable doubt, or even in the balance of probabilites.

Maybe I'm biting, and no doubt I will get labelled as a scouse lover again, but the city he comes from is irrelevant, my sympathies would be the same if he was a mackem. Some people in this thread want to have a look at their prejudices and think how they would feel if they were 19 and fitted up for something they hadn't done by Eastern European gestapo.

:razz:

Probably did it imo.

Prejudices you say? In any case my assessment has nothing to do with him being from Liverpool or being a Liverpool fans as I have nothing against either the city, people or the football club.

people should be doubly carefull when they leave the UK and E Europe has a well deserved reputation for dodgy coppers and hard justice - God help you if fall into the hands of the Russians for example

saying that some Liverpool fan nearly killed the barman and without seeing all thw evidence we'll never know if the conviction is "safe" or not

probbaly better for him to be here rather than there but he's passed up a great opportunity to become fluent in Bulgarian

The victim is adamant the right man was convicted iirc.

Trouble is witness id are notoriously dodgy and Shields had a reasonable alibi that suggests he was not even there. There was no forensic evidence to connect him either.

I'm not sure if I am prejudiced Alex, but I would say that the Bulgarian police and legal system is absolutely years behind us, and I would have little faith in their ability or motives in avoiding miscarriages of justice.

His alibi was that he was in bed....................

a tough one to prove unless he had company I guess

Aye, you can't exactly see a bunch of Scouse blokes queueing up to claim they were sharing a room...