Alternative Vote Referendum

Happy Face

Alternative Vote Referendum  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

In the AV system proposed by the referendum, voters will still be electing just one candidate associated with one geographic constituency. Instead of simply voting for one candidate choice on the ballot paper (with an 'X'), the voter would instead rank one or more of the candidates in order of preference. If after first preferences have been counted, no one candidate has a majority of the votes cast, then the bottom candidate will be eliminated and their next available preference will be redistributed accordingly. The process continues repeatedly until one candidate reaches a majority and wins.

How you going to vote?

Personally I think I would prefer PR. My Tory vote is wasted in South Tyneside under FPTP and AV.

This being the case I will vote to stick with the current system.

What do you think about the argument that this might be a starting point on the way to PR?

(and probably the last chance as such for quite a while)

You mean the FPTP system that has brought us the current coalition? The current system has also produced such results as a virtual dictatorship under Blair, a party system that has MPs being little more than livestock following orders, creates safe seats where a party can put forward any old mong, and wastes the majority of votes?

AV won't be so radically different to FPTP when compared to say STV or the National List, and isn't that hard to understand. Those who say we should stick with FPTP because we can't fathom reform is a condescending, patronising twat who wants to keep the plebs stupid and obedient.

I see AV as a shit compromise to PR.

It's difficult one to decide what I should vote for, not to vote for AV to spite that cunt Nick Clegg, or to vote for it to spite that cunt David Cameron. On balance I will probably vote yes - just.