My MP3 Player History

Hatful Of Hollow

Have had my Ipod for three years now and use it every day back and forth to work, journeys to Newcastle etc and everythings still working fine..

I had to send my ipod back twice in the first 2 years, but the last replacement lasted 3 years without issue.

I think the first and second generations were a bit dodgy. Recently moved to a fifth generation model.

EDIT: and I use it for 5 or 6 hours a day on average.

Edited by Happy Face

Bought a Phillips one a few year ago, had to have it replaced 3 times in about 4 months. The 3rd time got it exchanged for a Creative, which worked fine til I dropped it :unsure:

So I decided to get myself an iPod, never had any problems at all.

had my iPod for a couple of years and use it for at least 3 hours daily, transferring songs daily, fucking about with the settings... lock stock the fucking lot. and no real problems although I did have to reset it after I plugged it into one of the none-apple iPod Speaker docks.

Guest Patrokles

My Archos, I noticed, is terribly battered and has been dropped numerous times, generally on concrete from a few feet. But it still works perfectly, despite its cosmetic ravages.

My Sony works fine but I can't put any songs on it now, I had a problem with my pc before and when I went to put a new album on it wiped everything off it. Managed to get all the old ones back on but anytime I try and put a new one on the pc just freezes and i have to restart. Shame because I still have about 3gb worth of space left and some albums I really want to put on it.

• 2 months later...

It's that time again...

Zen Vision M is properly fucked, last week it crashed and when I reset 3,000 tracks and all the photos were missing, although this didnt affect the free memory on the player. Since then I can't transfer any music onto it, so back to Currys it goes once more.

Might just get my money back this time, rather than get a replacement player, not sure what i'll get next though, can anyone recommen a decent non-Creative/iPod MP3 Player?

I had to replace the logic board on my iPod because I managed to snap off the data connector at the bottom, can't fault the iPod, it was due to my ham-fistedness rather than any inherant fault.

Had my Ipod for bout 2 years, only got broke once and that was my brother's fault. Still in good working condition :D

surely this thread proves that getting an iPod is actually worth it then? since everyone seems to be saying they've had no problems or at worst ones which require nothing more technical than resetting the thing (which loses you no songs or data)

My Sony works fine but I can't put any songs on it now, I had a problem with my pc before and when I went to put a new album on it wiped everything off it. Managed to get all the old ones back on but anytime I try and put a new one on the pc just freezes and i have to restart. Shame because I still have about 3gb worth of space left and some albums I really want to put on it.

Fixed :blink:

Not sure why i've never went in for iPods like, think I just wanted somethihng different initally.

Comet do the same player as mine but 60gb, for £194.70, my 30gb version cost £190 from Currys.

Got my money back from Currys tonight, £190, for some reason I thought i'd payed £170 for it.

Anyway, Comet are ordering in the 60gb version for me, will be there on Wednesday.

Well I bought my iPod in September 2005 and it was my second iPod. The first one was irrepairable, not due to my negligence, it was just fucked. Well, this new one first gave me trouble in August 2006 and has been sent in for repair three times. Most recently it was sent back in early March and seemed to be fine until today. Again, I'm not negligent or careless with the things, if anything I treat them too well and I'm constantly getting shit from my workmates for how well I treat it. Today it shit itself again, and I'm getting the little sad face icon on the screen again. It won't even register when I plug it into the computer so I can't even try a factory reset.

Fuck Apple, and fuck iPods. I'm not shelling out another couple of hundred pounds for a new one and I'm getting sick of mailing this thing in. For that much money they shouldn't be disposable.

Well I bought my iPod in September 2005 and it was my second iPod. The first one was irrepairable, not due to my negligence, it was just fucked. Well, this new one first gave me trouble in August 2006 and has been sent in for repair three times. Most recently it was sent back in early March and seemed to be fine until today. Again, I'm not negligent or careless with the things, if anything I treat them too well and I'm constantly getting shit from my workmates for how well I treat it. Today it shit itself again, and I'm getting the little sad face icon on the screen again. It won't even register when I plug it into the computer so I can't even try a factory reset.

Fuck Apple, and fuck iPods. I'm not shelling out another couple of hundred pounds for a new one and I'm getting sick of mailing this thing in. For that much money they shouldn't be disposable.

that's weird, I've not heard of anyone else having that amount of bother with an iPod... which one was it?

that's weird, I've not heard of anyone else having that amount of bother with an iPod... which one was it?

It's a 60 Gig photo iPod, the last model of them before the video ones hit. I've had two of the fuckers in three years and had no end of trouble. They usually make it until the year mark and then it's all down hill. I think I have an iPod curse or something. Bastards.

It's a 60 Gig photo iPod, the last model of them before the video ones hit. I've had two of the fuckers in three years and had no end of trouble. They usually make it until the year mark and then it's all down hill. I think I have an iPod curse or something. Bastards.

Could it be the model? When you've replaced it haven't you thought about going for a video model or downgrading to a standard nano or something?

• 1 month later...
Got my money back from Currys tonight, £190, for some reason I thought i'd payed £170 for it.

Anyway, Comet are ordering in the 60gb version for me, will be there on Wednesday.

...and it didn't even last 2 months.

"Harddisk Problem" apparently, i'm really leaning towards crossing over to the Apple side now, Comet/Currys do an 80gb one for £239.