Morrissey in BBC Eurovision talks

Meenzer

Morrissey in talks for Eurovision

Former Smiths singer Morrissey could represent the UK at the 2007 Eurovision Song Contest, the BBC has confirmed.

The Mancunian musician first expressed an interest in taking part after Daz Sampson's song, Teenage Life, came fifth from last in the 2006 contest.

"I was horrified but not surprised to see the UK fail," he said. "Why didn't they ask me?"

The BBC says it is in talks with the singer to write and possibly perform a track for this year's contest in May.

But a spokeswoman for the corporation warned "nothing is confirmed at the moment".

The BBC has approached several other high-profile acts as it tries to "up the ante on the calibre of artists" taking part in the annual competition, she added.

Morrissey, 47, first found fame with indie group The Smiths, whose dark, brooding songs and social commentary on issues such as vegetarianism won a devoted following.

The band also released a series of acclaimed albums, including The Queen is Dead, which regularly feature in critics' all-time best lists.

They split up in 1987, after which Morrissey launched a successful solo career, scoring 10 top 10 singles in the UK.

He has been linked to the Eurovision song contest before, working with the UK's first winner, Sandie Shaw, in the 1980s.

Last year, the video for his You Have Killed Me single featured a pastiche of the kitsch Eurovision competitions of the 1970s.

However, to make it through to the real Eurovision, Morrissey would have to win the public's approval in the qualifying stages of the competition.

Former Blue singer Antony Costa and glamour model Jordan have seen their hopes dashed at this stage in previous years.

The winning entrant will compete against 23 other European nations in the final, which will be held in Helsinki after Finnish hard rock band Lordi won the contest in 2006.

Now this could be interesting. :lol:

He's been shite for years tttt. Much as love The Smiths and some of his solo stuff, I haven't bought anything by him for ages. Past it imo.

how ridiculous would this be though? On so many levels as well.

Surely Morrissey has some pride left after all this years and wouldn't stoop to this, and why would the organisers want him to represent the UK? Unless he's gonna write a song like the 'cheeky song' no bugger in the other european countries would vote for him so whats the point?

Saying that mind I'd watch like! Especially if other countries follow suit like Shane Macgowan representing Ireland, the cardigans representing Sweden, Aha for Norway and emmm, well is there anyone else famous from Europe?? :lol:

He's been shite for years tttt. Much as love The Smiths and some of his solo stuff, I haven't bought anything by him for ages. Past it imo.

His last two albums have both been very good actually.

Heard them, didn't rate them personally. I can't take him seriously tbh. Even The Smiths' lyrics make me laugh now. I think he was being deadly serious when he wrote them though.

His last two albums have both been very good actually.

Heard them, didn't rate them personally. I can't take him seriously tbh. Even The Smiths' lyrics make me laugh now. I think he was being deadly serious when he wrote them though.

I really like them both especially You Are The Quarry.

I only just got into the Smiths a couple of years ago after detesting Morrissey for years. Love them now though.

I still love them but it's more for Marr's music now I think. Still like Morrissey's lyrics and he'll always be a hero of mine but the lyrics just don't have the same meaning they did as when I was angst-ridden 6th former. And if he'd been taking the piss when he wrote them, I'd admire him even more :lol:

Maybe I didn't give his latest albums enough of a chance though.

I like Morrisey and the Smiths stuff. Not old enough to have appreciated the Smiths when they were around, but they still sound good now.

Some of his solo stuff is quality, some of it absolutely awful. That 'America Is Not The World' is dreadful, bet he comes out with something like that in Eurovision to make a point.

Just when you think it can't get any worse after Christmas you get this.... enough to send me down to the Tyne Bridge

:lol::lol:;):lol::lol:

That MISERABLE creature singing and shaming us all over Yurop ........ FFS

Electronic were amazing though :lol:

I do quite like their 1st album though tttt.

Getting away with it...allllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll my life....

Kwality.

cause :lol: you like neil tennant

He's from up here man! Geordie-nation-tastic

Loved the Smiths. Lyrically he was just a cheeky sod. Followed them since 1983 and seen them loads of times. Would be a shame if he did this but not untypical. He tends to be contray.

Alex, where does this stuff about Morrisseys lyrics comes from. Like what? Just curious.

Marr's solo stuff is very good. Morrisseys last two albums have been excellent. Never really liked Electronic, The The or Marr's stuff with the Pretenders.

Saw Marr and Rourke play together for the first time since the Smiths broke up at Manchester vs Cancer (Marr sang How Soon is Now and There is a Light surprisingly well). Superb gig and New Order played a set of Joy Division!!

Loved the Smiths. Lyrically he was just a cheeky sod. Followed them since 1983 and seen them loads of times. Would be a shame if he did this but not untypical. He tends to be contray.

Alex, where does this stuff about Morrisseys lyrics comes from. Like what? Just curious.

Marr's solo stuff is very good. Morrisseys last two albums have been excellent. Never really liked Electronic, The The or Marr's stuff with the Pretenders.

Saw Marr and Rourke play together for the first time since the Smiths broke up at Manchester vs Cancer (Marr sang How Soon is Now and There is a Light surprisingly well). Superb gig and New Order played a set of Joy Division!!

Loads of the lyrics in the early Smiths stuff I find hilarious now. It's just so teen-angsty "I didn't pull at the school disco and I'm going to hang myself (but not really I just need a kick up the arse)". 'This Charming Man', 'How Soon Is Now', etc., etc. I still love the songs and the music but, like I said, I just can't take the lyrics seriously any more.