Delima Said ...

Delima

[gloat]Few months ago in N-O, Delima said that we should go for a number of Man U youngsters

Defenders

------------

Paul McShane - Did well for Ireland. Doing well for West Brom. Outshining Curtis Davies so far. Crowd favourite

Gerald Pique - Doing well in Real Zaragoza

Johny Evan - Did well for Northern Ireland. Had a fantastic game in his debut for Sunderland against Ipswich.

Adam Eckersley - Man of the match in his debut for Barnsley against Preston

(I have absolute no doubt that they would do better than Ramage, Edgar, Hutington in centre backs or full backs)

Midfielder

-----------

David Jones - Star man for Derby thus far.

Forward

----------

Giuseppi Rossi

[/gloat]

Ok by no means their current achievements are certain indications of how they would perform for us if we were to sign them. But if we could get them cheaply we should. It is not only about Man U youngsters. If we could get a few Arsenal young guns who surplus to their requirement then we should.

PS This is an in-your-face post for those who ridiculed me last time simply because I suggested a few Man U youth players.

PPS In case you want to call me a Manc etc ... I have mentally prepared myself for the abuse so I wo't retaliate :o;)

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[gloat]Few months ago in N-O, Delima said that we should go for a number of Man U youngsters

Defenders

------------

Paul McShane - Did well for Ireland. Doing well for West Brom. Outshining Curtis Davies so far. Crowd favourite

Johny Evan - Did well for Northern Ireland. Had a fantastic game in his debut for Sunderland against Ipswich.

(I have absolute no doubt that they would do better than Ramage, Edgar, Hutington in centre backs or full backs)

Midfielder

-----------

Forward

----------

Giuseppi Rossi

[/gloat]

Ok by no means their current achievements are certain indications of how they would perform for us if we were to sign them. But if we could get them cheaply we should. It is not only about Man U youngsters. If we could get a few Arsenal young guns who surplus to their requirement then we should.

PS This is an in-your-face post for those who ridiculed me last time simply because I suggested a few Man U youth players.

PPS In case you want to call me a Manc etc ... I have mentally prepared myself for the abuse so I wo't retaliate :o;)

Yes these two are looking good. We should perhaps also take a look at the PSV and Ajax youngsters.

You said we should pay £10 million for Rossi IIRC.

What would be the point in spending money on young back up players who may be marginally better than the back up players we've got? you're also presuming they're better than our lot because they've performed well in a lower league (Chopra, Andy Reid, Rasiak etc)

We need to strengthen the starting 11 which none of these are good enough for.

Yes these two are looking good. We should perhaps also take a look at the PSV and Ajax youngsters.

Sadly I don't know much about them.

Wenger has been the most astute in the transfer market in the PL by a mile in the last few seasons. Part of what he does is scoure Euro and the former French colonies for fresh talent. His contact base in this aspect is very good and I suspect he gets tipped off about French players pretty sharpish. He tends to get 2 or 3 players in every season and they are futher scrutinised...One or two of these seem to pay off every year.

If you look at say Clichy imo Cole is only a fraction better than him in real terms.

Our insular approach and not having any foreign input in the coaching set up is a real shame as coaches who have worked in Euro bring with them a knowledge base which can be invaluable for developing new talent.

What would be the point in spending money on young back up players who may be marginally better than the back up players we've got? you're also presuming they're better than our lot because they've performed well in a lower league (Chopra, Andy Reid, Rasiak etc)

I stand by what I said about Rossi. If we could tie Rossi to us for long term at £10 million then we should.

Gerard Pique, Johny Evan and Paul McShane are not marginally better than Edgar/Ramage/Hutington. They are significantly better despite slightly younger. And they have much better promise and potential too. Pique starred was man of the tournemant for Spain in under 21 European Championship. Evan has had a couple caps for Northern Ireland and had done excellently. McShane, despite not as refined as Pique or Evan, has leadership and thou-shall-not-pass qualities which are not present in Edgar or Hutington.

I don't presume all the youngsters I have suggested would do well for us. For instance I suggested Slyvain Ebank Blake. He is not even getting games in Plymouth at the moments. They will be miss and hits. But if we could get these people cheaply, the benefit we would reap from the likes of McShane would far outweight the insignificant money we spend in acquiring other false prophets.

I don't think we have any realitic chance in acquiring the creams like Evan, Rossi and Pique unless we pay a huge sum (£10 million). But for other promising youngster (McShane, Jones etc) who left Man U because they wanted more games, we should at least try to get a couple. At the very least they will increase our squad depth which is thread bare, and they will provide stiff competition to our own youngsters to spur their growth. At best they flourish into good players who would bring us returns in both results and finance.

Defenders

------------

Midfielder

-----------

Forward

----------

Giuseppi Rossi

[/gloat]

PPS In case you want to call me a Manc etc ... I have mentally prepared myself for the abuse so I wo't retaliate :secret::unsure:

I don`t understand why you have written gloat in your post ? Are you gloating ? If so about what ?

PS

Jonathan Spector! I forgot about him.

A centre back by trade, he has been solid in right back for West Ham so far. As much as I like Edgar and Hutington, both of them are inferior full backs compared to Spector.

I stand by what I said about Rossi. If we could tie Rossi to us for long term at £10 million then we should.

Gerard Pique, Johny Evan and Paul McShane are not marginally better than Edgar/Ramage/Hutington. They are significantly better despite slightly younger. And they have much better promise and potential too. Pique starred was man of the tournemant for Spain in under 21 European Championship. Evan has had a couple caps for Northern Ireland and had done excellently. McShane, despite not as refined as Pique or Evan, has leadership and thou-shall-not-pass qualities which are not present in Edgar or Hutington.

I don't presume all the youngsters I have suggested would do well for us. For instance I suggested Slyvain Ebank Blake. He is not even getting games in Plymouth at the moments. They will be miss and hits. But if we could get these people cheaply, the benefit we would reap from the likes of McShane would far outweight the insignificant money we spend in acquiring other false prophets.

I don't think we have any realitic chance in acquiring the creams like Evan, Rossi and Pique unless we pay a huge sum (£10 million). But for other promising youngster (McShane, Jones etc) who left Man U because they wanted more games, we should at least try to get a couple. At the very least they will increase our squad depth which is thread bare, and they will provide stiff competition to our own youngsters to spur their growth. At best they flourish into good players who would bring us returns in both results and finance.

Good post Delima. But we should also look at youngsters from top Euro sides who are also getting impatient and have a policy of getting at least 1/2 in a year.

PS

Jonathan Spector! I forgot about him.

A centre back by trade, he has been solid in right back for West Ham so far. As much as I like Edgar and Hutington, both of them are inferior full backs compared to Spector.

Why did he start on the bench yesterday? Injury?

Good post Delima. But we should also look at youngsters from top Euro sides who are also getting impatient and have a policy of getting at least 1/2 in a year.

As I've said, we need players for the first team which none of these are good enough for, Rossi was supposed to be the best player in their youth set up yet looked no better than Chopra while here, paying £10 million for him would be madness! :unsure:

Wenger has been the most astute in the transfer market in the PL by a mile in the last few seasons. Part of what he does is scoure Euro and the former French colonies for fresh talent. His contact base in this aspect is very good and I suspect he gets tipped off about French players pretty sharpish. He tends to get 2 or 3 players in every season and they are futher scrutinised...One or two of these seem to pay off every year.

If you look at say Clichy imo Cole is only a fraction better than him in real terms.

Our insular approach and not having any foreign input in the coaching set up is a real shame as coaches who have worked in Euro bring with them a knowledge base which can be invaluable for developing new talent.

Agreed. Even though we might not have the scouting capabilities of Wenger, we can make up the grounds to certain extend by mnay other means.

Expand the academy - which is what Roeder has done I believe.

Buy promising youngsters (including Arsenal/Man U rejects). Well I bet many of us wouldn't mind Bentley, Pennant, Sidwell etc in our squad.

Agreed. Even though we might not have the scouting capabilities of Wenger, we can make up the grounds to certain extend by mnay other means.

Buy promising youngsters (including Arsenal/Man U rejects). Well I bet many of us wouldn't mind Bentley, Pennant, Sidwell etc in our squad.

For free, but for cash we havn`t got much of then no I wouldn`t want them.

As I've said, we need players for the first team which none of these are good enough for, Rossi was supposed to be the best player in their youth set up yet looked no better than Chopra while here, paying £10 million for him would be madness! :unsure:

I don't disagree that we need more quality first team players. But there is no need to neglect other aspects of our squad while trying to sign Sol Campbell, Dirt Kuyt and Miroslav Klose.

To you maybe Rossi doesn't even look better than Chopra. But to me Rossi has shown enough skills and visions for his age. I would be glad if Newcastle United spunk 10 million £ to get him. Time will tell who is right.

David Jones cost Derby a million.

Paul McShane was a pawn in a deal to transfer Kuszczak to Man U.

Jonathan Spector cost West Ham 500,000 £.

At this rate (cheap) it would be mad not to cherry pick a few youngsters unwanted by Man U and Arsenal.

David Jones cost Derby a million.

Paul McShane was a pawn in a deal to transfer Kuszczak to Man U.

Jonathan Spector cost West Ham 500,000 £.

At this rate (cheap) it would be mad not to cherry pick a few youngsters unwanted by Man U and Arsenal.

We are a bigger enough club, well in our eyes to find our own Youth. We really shouldn`t waste time and money getting young players off other clubs. We should spend more looking on our own doorstep.