Wireless

The Fish

Right, we have a wireless network set up in out house, has never really worked fine on any of our computers. The stick is recognising that there is a network in our house and when I press "Connect" it says: "Acquiring network address" for a bit, presumable in an attempt to connect to the network, but then after a while it just says not connected. I've had a fiddle around and for some reason its got an ip of 0.0.0.0

i dont have a clue what to do. Can anyone help? Cheers

I've tried to manually input my ip, subnet, gateway and dns servers.

throws up an error about dns so I took that out and it still wouldn't connect

asked windows to automatically find the ip and I can connect to the net, but the thing will inevtiably go down in an hour or so, it'll spend twenty minutes searching for network address or renewing the ip then give up.

Two things to try.

1. The WEP key, if thats not spot on the it wont let you log on and will show the IP as 0.0.0.0 as far as Im aware.

2. If thats not the problem then Id recommend removing it all and reinstalling/ setting up the network.

Failing those then obtain a copy of net stumbler from the net and give that a shot, even if it still cant connect to your network it may find one next door or so and let you connect to that.. (ahhh free internet, you catn beat it)

last time I allow a woman to set up anything more complicated than a cup of tea tbh

cheers by the way :lol:

Edited by The Fish

installed net stumbler followed its limited instructions and the whole "connecting to the internet" thing seemed like a fantasy, only got back connection after I removed that program...

Update:

now I do get connection and thelike, but it's sporadic. The MSN Messenger thingy keeps telling me that "my default gateway" is down...

whats that mean?

Update:

now I do get connection and thelike, but it's sporadic. The MSN Messenger thingy keeps telling me that "my default gateway" is down...

whats that mean?

Reckon your wireless device might be nadgered. Does anyone else in the house use wireless?

Reinstall drivers - if there is any...or upgrade them.

Update:

whats that mean?

Reckon your wireless device might be nadgered. Does anyone else in the house use wireless?

Reinstall drivers - if there is any...or upgrade them.

Look for any new firmware for your wireless router on the manufacturers website if you haven't already.

The Fish in knows nowt shocker ;)

I don't mind admitting I've limited knowledge with regards to computers. :lol:

cheers to the none tossers, I'll give it a whirl.

and wiki... I know, I know it blows, but there's fuck all I can do about it because I live in a shared house, if I hadn't got wireless everyone would either be using my computer or bitching and moaning for eternity. Neither is conducive to a happy home.

The Fish in knows nowt shocker :pmsl:

I don't mind admitting I've limited knowledge with regards to computers. ;)

cheers to the none tossers, I'll give it a whirl.

and wiki... I know, I know it blows, but there's fuck all I can do about it because I live in a shared house, if I hadn't got wireless everyone would either be using my computer or bitching and moaning for eternity. Neither is conducive to a happy home.

:taunt: Not good Fish

none tossers :lol:

Ok, the MSN Messenger connection troubleshooter thingy (which has been by far the most helpful "help" function on the computer) says I have a UPnP IP restricted NAT... and it kind of intimated that it was this that was causing the bother.

Ok, the MSN Messenger connection troubleshooter thingy (which has been by far the most helpful "help" function on the computer) says I have a UPnP IP restricted NAT... and it kind of intimated that it was this that was causing the bother.

Edit, also the Dell Network assistant says I've configured the pc to share the internet connection (which I don't recall)... this may also be a problem.

any help, much appreciated.

Edited by The Fish

basically my wireless internet connection is tempremental at best, it takes a while to connect, when it does it disconnects after about 5-10 minutes. A few of the suggestions on here have improved the situation, but the main problem remains. This connection disconnects after 9 or twn minutes.

the others on the network also suffer problems, often the 0.0.0.0 IP address is shown, but I've got the ip address for most of the computers now.

the Default gateway is identified by the MSN Messeneger troubleshooting-doohicky as the problem. It claims that this gateway appears to be offline. Now I've used the Gateway provided by "ipconfig /all" but that doesn't help the problem much.

also the Messenger thing says I've a UPnP IP restricted NAT.

The Dell Network assistant says I've allowed this computer to share the connection and that this may be a problem

Guest Patrokles

I know very little about computers, but if you're having IP issues would it not help if you set up a static IP address?

Painfully obvious.

:unsure:

I know very little about computers, but if you're having IP issues would it not help if you set up a static IP address?

'fraid the problem isn't the IP address, and I've already set the right static IP address.

it's the default gateway.... whatever the fuck that is.

'fraid the problem isn't the IP address, and I've already set the right static IP address.

it's the default gateway.... whatever the fuck that is.

Default gateway is either the IP address of your router, or the ISP IP address.

What router have you got?