Newspapers

Matty

I was just wondering what different people read in terms of daily newspapers and also what these papers believe and talk about the most, ie, Daily Mail, "Immigrants", or Daily Express, "Diana, Diana, etc.."

I was just wondering what different people read in terms of daily newspapers and also what these papers believe and talk about the most, ie, Daily Mail, "Immigrants", or Daily Express, "Diana, Diana, etc.."

You've summed those papers up perfectly already, I don't buy a paper but if I'm forced to chose, I either read the Times or the Telegraph.

Daily Mail- immigration, 'Labour failure'

Daily Express- Diana (especially on Mondays), Muslims

The Independent, the environment

The Sun/ Mirror/ NOTW- celebrities, sex

The Telegraph- something Conservative-related

In my politics textbook there's quite an interesting chart where it breaks down newspaper readership by political party. Some surprising ones!

Personally, I read The Times or The Independent.

My choice of daily newspaper doesn't go on about any of those things. Then again it is the racing post :blink:

My only concession to mainstream is the Sunday Times at weekend (and even then it takes me all week to read).

i dont bother now.

btw - theres even regional variation between the papers. the same article printed in different parts of the country can have a different slant on the same topic.

The Independent are obsessed with the environment like.

I get the Times every now and then, get the Gazette when i'm back home. Read the rest of the news on the internet tbh.

Guardian is probably my fave, but also Indi and the Times. Telegraph online is very good as well.

All news is biased. Since the web took off, I've rarely bought a newspaper and probably read "Metro" more regularly than any other as it's free on the Tube.

I tend to read things from various sources and then form my own opinion on it.

Thing is in this country, they allow fags to be sold but insist on 'Smoking Kills' warinings on the packets.

What with the retarded nature of society today, I think it is in the public interest for a similar measure

'Don't believe everything you read' across 1 third of the front page of every newspaper, should do it

I read the Independent normally.

Sometimes I am a Guardian reading wanker

Sometimes The Times although i resent giving money to Murdoch it is a decent read.

The Journal is a very good newspaper for a local one. I get that when I come back up. Some of the local ones, including the Evening Standard, are appalling.

I'll generally read the Guardian, but mostly because I like the features and stuff, and I don't want anything too serious or dull to have to wade through. I'm online practically all the time anyway so the BBC News site is fine for the actual facts.

I'll generally read the Guardian, but mostly because I like the features and stuff, and I don't want anything too serious or dull to have to wade through. I'm online practically all the time anyway so the BBC News site is fine for the actual facts.

Same here really, although I would add that the Guardian is still a 'proper' newspaper. :blink:

If I ever buy a Sunday rag I get the Observer, but I don't usually have the time to buy or read any paper these days.

Same here really, although I would add that the Guardian is still a 'proper' newspaper. :blink:

If I ever buy a Sunday rag I get the Observer, but I don't usually have the time to buy or read any paper these days.

It is, I just don't particularly read it for the 'proper' bits. :)

The Observer is great. Used to shell out something ridiculous for it in Germany whenever I indulged, upwards of €5 in any case, but it'd see me right through a six-hour train journey.

The Observer is great. Used to shell out something ridiculous for it in Germany whenever I indulged, upwards of €5 in any case, but it'd see me right through a six-hour train journey.

It is great. The Indy is okay but I tire of its ever more depressing and sensationalist headlines. The Times will do but I'd never buy the Torygraph. I once stole a copy in Spain a couple of years ago because I was desperate to see how the Ashes were going. :up:

It is great. The Indy is okay but I tire of its ever more depressing and sensationalist headlines. The Times will do but I'd never buy the Torygraph. I once stole a copy in Spain a couple of years ago because I was desperate to see how the Ashes were going. :up:

the definition of a newspaper surely?

It is great. The Indy is okay but I tire of its ever more depressing and sensationalist headlines. The Times will do but I'd never buy the Torygraph. I once stole a copy in Spain a couple of years ago because I was desperate to see how the Ashes were going. :P

Maybe, but the Independent are in a league of their own on that front. They usually have diagrams and charts and so on to point out just exactly how we're all doomed. :up:

It is great. The Indy is okay but I tire of its ever more depressing and sensationalist headlines. The Times will do but I'd never buy the Torygraph. I once stole a copy in Spain a couple of years ago because I was desperate to see how the Ashes were going. :P

Maybe, but the Independent are in a league of their own on that front. They usually have diagrams and charts and so on to point out just exactly how we're all doomed. :up:

I always find diagrams helpful tbh

Fair point, but I'd rather not see a diagram clarifying that I'm going to die alone at the age of 28 of a heart attack whilst Britain is swallowed by rising seas.

It is, I just don't particularly read it for the 'proper' bits. :up:

It is great. The Indy is okay but I tire of its ever more depressing and sensationalist headlines. The Times will do but I'd never buy the Torygraph. I once stole a copy in Spain a couple of years ago because I was desperate to see how the Ashes were going. :suicide:

Maybe, but the Independent are in a league of their own on that front. They usually have diagrams and charts and so on to point out just exactly how we're all doomed. :P

Fair point, but I'd rather not see a diagram clarifying that I'm going to die alone at the age of 28 of a heart attack whilst Britain is swallowed by rising seas.

being 29, I would love to :)

Once you learn what each paper is about and their political views they become more comedic than anything else. I never take what I read too seriously.

It's easy to blame the newspapers but they're offering a service. In the days of Rothermere, Beaverbrook et al it was true to say that the owners beliefs dictated what went on the page and what went in the bin but now, due to the fact there are so many other ways of obtaining news, the general public call the shots. The newspapers make much more money through advertising than they do selling copies but to attract the attention of the advertisers first they've got to attract the attention of the reader.

find that I don't really give too much weight to any of the topical reports, it's generally the articles and editorials that grab my interest. I like quite off the wall stories, Denmark exporting semen and the like. Times, Guardian and Independent supplements are normally quite good for that.

If I want to be informed on a subject I'll generally do like most here and take the facts from the net. It's also a handy way of getting a little more background info, instead of the regurgitated Reuters scraps that you get in the tabloids and most broadsheets.