Left Back

David Kelly

How can people in the same breath frown on Roeder for looking at 'obscure foreigners,' and follow it by saying that our scouting network isn't good enough to target anyone obscure and foreign?

I judge him on who he brings in tbh. That's all I'm arsed about. We looked at Kuyt for a while ;) , remember?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How can people in the same breath frown on Roeder for looking at 'obscure foreigners,' and follow it by saying that our scouting network isn't good enough to target anyone obscure and foreign?

Who's frowning on him for looking at obscure foreigners?

I just took that as an example of Roeder sticking to his word tbh. I have no problem with him looking at obscure foreigners at all, although I had my reservations about this Piqilalidings guy.

I just took that as an example of Roeder sticking to his word tbh. I have no problem with him looking at obscure foreigners at all, although I had my reservations about this Piqilalidings guy.

I think most people would be more than happy if we brought in some obscure players, either foreign or home based, as long as they produced the goods where it mattered.

I think most people would be more than happy if we brought in some obscure players, either foreign or home based, as long as they produced the goods where it mattered.

Of course that is all that matters in the end. And I do agree with Roeder that Newcastle need to reduce the failings in the transfer market, especially when it comes to signing players for huge fees and wages without getting a reward.

I wouldn't have had any problem with getting this Piq guy on loan as he had solved a short term problem. I did have my reservations about the "class" Roeder is hampering on, though.

I have no confidence at all in Roeder finding the right players tbh. The list of players we are told he wants suggest to me that he hasn't got the first fucking clue.

Martins is looking like a canny (if overpriced) buy and Le Sib has done very well considering he's not good enough. But Duff, Bernard and Rossi were all poor signings

I have no confidence at all in Roeder finding the right players tbh. The list of players we are told he wants suggest to me that he hasn't got the first fucking clue.

Martins is looking like a canny (if overpriced) buy and Le Sib has done very well considering he's not good enough. But Duff, Bernard and Rossi were all poor signings

I think if you compare Martins price with some of the ridiculous fees for players in England, it does put things into perspective. And I am still not really convinced about Martins yet. I also can understand the transfer of Duff, because it was just an unlikely opportunity coming along. Rossi was a decent choice considering is reputation. Bernard was a joke and so was Le Sib, who might (occasionally) not look as bad as most feared, but simply is just a mediocre player for a bottom half team.

i can't believe how poor duff has been like. he's been a different player to what he was at chelsea.

i wonder if he's suffering from the 'move to a smaller club on a big wedge demotivation' syndrome that affected butt in his first season with us.

there's no doubting duff's quality but it would be nice to see him do something some time soon.

I think if you compare Martins price with some of the ridiculous fees for players in England, it does put things into perspective. And I am still not really convinced about Martins yet. I also can understand the transfer of Duff, because it was just an unlikely opportunity coming along. Rossi was a decent choice considering is reputation. Bernard was a joke and so was Le Sib, who might (occasionally) not look as bad as most feared, but simply is just a mediocre player for a bottom half team.

I disagree with Duff because we simply didn't need him (given that we had N'Zogbia and Milner who could play there) and had far more pressing concerns.

With regards to Rossi, he just didn't fit into our team with Martins (who given the price if nothing else was going to be first choice) and Roeder just didn't know how to use him. If we'd ended up signing Kuyt instead of Martins it might have made sense but as it is, it just looks totally like a panic move.

i can't believe how poor duff has been like. he's been a different player to what he was at chelsea.

i wonder if he's suffering from the 'move to a smaller club on a big wedge demotivation' syndrome that affected butt in his first season with us.

there's no doubting duff's quality but it would be nice to see him do something some time soon.

Like set up Sibierski for a goal? ;)

I think both he and N'Zogbia are suffering because of having no one behind them to link up with. No matter how well Rammage/Huntington/Edgar do in a game it's basically as an out on the left centreback. They offer nothing in an attacking sense (other than goals against Manure & Spurs ;) ) so whoever plays on the left is left isolated.

Seriously watch out for it, it's like playing with 9 men at times because we simply can't use the left.

If we've got no money, how come we bid for Huth at the end of August then? And why did we sign Duff?

I'd guess Martins took a lot, and Duff we got "cheap" (at least in fee if not wages), but our wage bill is huge (dispite the squad being small), and I don't think its a coincidence that both our major targets were loan signings (although I expect there's a bit of not wanting to potentially waste the money we have until the summer when hopefully a bit of genuine rebuilding - not just injury filling in - can occur).

But the sort of strikers and CBs and LBs we're after you're probably talking £6,000,000+ at least for, and it seems we don't have the cash, at least not in January, for 2 or 3 of those at the moment. ;)

We bid for Huth after we'd signed Martins. He went to Boro for £6million. Duff was £5million.

Milner's move to Villa would have financed the deal.

If we've got no money, how come we bid for Huth at the end of August then? And why did we sign Duff?

I'd guess Martins took a lot, and Duff we got "cheap" (at least in fee if not wages), but our wage bill is huge (dispite the squad being small), and I don't think its a coincidence that both our major targets were loan signings (although I expect there's a bit of not wanting to potentially waste the money we have until the summer when hopefully a bit of genuine rebuilding - not just injury filling in - can occur).

But the sort of strikers and CBs and LBs we're after you're probably talking £6,000,000+ at least for, and it seems we don't have the cash, at least not in January, for 2 or 3 of those at the moment. :nufc:

We bid for Huth after we'd signed Martins. He went to Boro for £6million. Duff was £5million.

I thought he was financing the Viduka deal? ;)

But the sort of strikers and CBs and LBs we're after you're probably talking £6,000,000+ at least for, and it seems we don't have the cash, at least not in January, for 2 or 3 of those at the moment. :nufc:

I thought he was financing the Viduka deal? ;)

I think he was going to finance whatever panic buy we could get our hands on, whether it was Huth, Viduka or Zat Knight.

BTW Roeder did try and sign a let back, Traore on loan from Arsenal, other than that the only other left back I can only think of that moved was Michael Ball from PSV to Man City.

Or we just fucked up the tranfer window for the second time in a row ;)

I dunno Martins and Le Sib have done ok.

I really don't see that we can compete with the likes of Chelsea now and we never could (apart from with Shearer) compete with Man U and such.

I think we could do better, but I also think a lot of people are being a bit delusional about what we can afford and indeed our pulling power even if we can afford them these days. :nufc:

We were told that we would have signed Bridge in the last transfer window, had the Cole deal gone through quicker. How come that one didn't come off? Was it only going to be a loan deal?

because he just signed a new contract?

We were told that we would have signed Bridge in the last transfer window, had the Cole deal gone through quicker. How come that one didn't come off? Was it only going to be a loan deal?

because he just signed a new contract?

I'll make it clearer then. Were we offering money for him, because pretty certain it was made out that we were. If so, where's the money gone? Where's the Owen compensation?

..................................................... we're playing Huntington at left back, who looks out of position and out of his depth. You have to cut the lad a lot of slack though....................................... he certainly shouldn't be at left back.

I agree with that and quite frankly I thought young Edgar looked more comfortable at left-back than Huntington did even though he was out of position too.

Perhaps Carr should play at left-back and Solano at right-back until Babayaro comes back, or we get a good replacement left-back.

I think an experienced full-back, left or right, would find it easier to adapt to the opposite side than a central defender would or could as shown by Ramage, Edgar, and Huntington.

a quality left back, thats comfortable on the ball, has genuine pace, good tackling and distribution skills and can cross! its not too much is it?

Purely out of interest, who have you got in mind that fulfills that criteria and would be plausible target?

end of the season

heinze (probably not going to happen)

lahm (see above)

van bronkhorst (bit old see above)

sylvinho (as above)

Antonio lopez

capdevilla

nesmachnyi

all are possibilities but if we are skint maybe not.

ah and you said plausible.

no one then.

didn't really think that one through!