Woodgate

Baggio

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ugh/6333175.stm

Madrid say Woodgate sold to Boro

Real Madrid have announced they have agreed the permanent transfer of England defender Jonathan Woodgate to Middlesbrough.

Woodgate has been on loan at the Riverside Stadium since summer 2006.

More to follow.

Edited by Baggio

We've got the better deal by giving Titus a 10 year contract tbh

Laughable

Would have been worth spending a LOT on him, even with the injury risk.

Probably still the best english CB.

I disagree. Look at wor Alan. He loved the club, so he came and stayed with Newcastle. Woodgate's living his boyhood dream. And I bet in that dream he lifted silverware as well, so he probably won't leave until that part of the dream comes true.

Jonathan Woodgate insists he will not make a decision on his future until the end of the season.

Real Madrid revealed on Monday that they had agreed a deal to sell the centre-half to Middlesbrough in the summer.

Woodgate is currently on loan at The Riverside and the Premiership club are determined to persuade the player to stay.

But the former Newcastle United stopper says Real's announcement only restates an arrangement that was in place at the start of his loan spell.

And though Boro are anxious to seal Woodgate's long-term future, the player is keeping an open mind about his situation.

"The price for any permanent transfer between Real Madrid and Middlesbrough was agreed in August," said Woodgate, in a statement on Sky Sports News.

"Nothing has changed.

"I have spoken to (Boro chief executive) Keith Lamb this evening and, as planned, will make a decision on my future in June."

If he carries on playing like he is between now and the end of the season, one of the big boys will come in for him, and he'll be away. Why would he resign himself to playing for Boro?

If he was the sort of lad who was desperate to play for his hometown club above all others, then he would just say that now and remove any doubt - why would you keep the fans and the club waiting if you were desperate to stay? He's hedging his bets because he's hoping for better offers.

Edited by Gemmill

If he carries on playing like he is between now and the end of the season, one of the big boys will come in for him, and he'll be away. Why would he resign himself to playing for Boro?

If he was the sort of lad who was desperate to play for his hometown club above all others, then he would just say that now and remove any doubt - why would you keep the fans and the club waiting if you were desperate to stay? He's hedging his bets because he's hoping for better offers.

Just said exactly the same thing to me dad.

I really can't see any of the big four in the PL taking a gamble on his fitness, aye he's been fit for most of this season but there will always be doubts regarding his fitness. I for one would still be cautious about trying to re-sign him.

TBH, we don't want him. He's class but he's bound to get injured again and we're likely to hang our hat on him being fit for the majority of the season, something I can't see happening, given his past. He'd be great when he played but I'd much rather have someone not as good who was more reliable. It's too disruptive when the side (especially in that position) is chopped and changed and it does little for the confidence of whoever makes way whenever he's fit. I fully expect us to go for him in the summer again though.

TBH, we don't want him. He's class but he's bound to get injured again and we're likely to hang our hat on him being fit for the majority of the season, something I can't see happening, given his past. He'd be great when he played but I'd much rather have someone not as good who was more reliable. It's too disruptive when the side (especially in that position) is chopped and changed and it does little for the confidence of whoever makes way whenever he's fit. I fully expect us to go for him in the summer again though.

Basically what I said in the summer but was twisted into how i don't rate him or something! Irony is, I didn't want him as I wanted as consistant a defence as possible yet he plays more games than he probably has in his career and our defence changes every week! ;):lol:

Aye, typical he's hardly missed a game. Still think this season is a one-off in that respect though. Would like to see him put his fitness worries behind him however.

As you said I would rather spend whatever he is going to cost on a defender who isn't as good but who I would be more confident he isnt going to go down with a strain of some sort and miss months/years (and I don't mean someone like Boumsong but there are defenders out there who are good enough and wouldnt cost a bomb!).

I would go all out for Ben Haim in the summer although I think he will end up at a CL club.

Woodgate deal still to go through

Real Madrid have backtracked on the announcement that they had reached an agreement with Middlesbrough over the transfer of defender Jonathan Woodgate.

Woodgate, 27, joined Middlesbrough on a year-long loan deal from Real in August 2006 and Madrid said the two clubs had agreed to make the switch permanent.

However, Real's sporting director Predrag Mijatovic has now said they are only hoping to make the deal permanent.

"Until everything's signed I can't say it has been completed," said Mijatovic.

Real are believed to want a fee from Boro in the region of £7m but Woodgate has admitted he is in the dark over any move.

"I don't know whether Madrid want me or not," he told Spanish daily As. "That's the first thing that needs sorting out."

The defender has been in good form this season and Middlesbrough are understood to be keen to agree a permanent deal.

Media and communications manager Dave Allan said: "We have been absolutely delighted with the way Jonathan has played for us this season. He seems happy to be back home.

"We are certainly happy with him - very happy - and we hope the feeling is shared equally between us and Jonathan."

The player has flourished at the Riverside this season after an injury-hit spell in Spain, where he made only nine league appearances in two years after arriving from Newcastle for £13.4m in 2004.

Such has been Woodgate's success at his home-town club during the current campaign, he was recalled to the England squad for this week's friendly against Spain.

If he plays at Old Trafford on Wednesday it will be the centre-back's first cap since facing Sweden in March 2004.

Woodgate was on England duty following his return to the national squad when the initial news of a prospective deal broke, although he missed training as he recovered from Saturday's hard-fought 1-1 draw with Arsenal.