Sibierski to get two year extension

Gemmill

Newcastle United are ready to reward Antoine Sibierski with a new deal.

The Frenchman has been a big success at St James' Park since his surprise signing from Manchester City last August.

The 32-year-old has scored seven goals during his short time at the club and has quickly established himself as a fans favourite on Tyneside.

Sibierski initially arrived on a one-year deal, but Glenn Roeder is now prepared to extend the player's stay at the club.

The player's agent Willie McKay confirmed talks were ongoing over a new deal for the former Lens man.

"I have spoken to Glenn Roeder regarding Antoine's contract and he is very keen to keep him," McKay told skysports.com

"Antoine is really enjoying his football at Newcastle and would be happy to extend his contract.

"Newcastle are ready to offer Antoine a two-year extension and I am planning to hold further talks with the club later this week."

The bloke isn't good enough and should be released when his contract expires in the summer. We have been ridiculously lucky that he's scored a few goals and proved himself to be a decent stop-gap, but that should be the finish. Keeping him on for one year would be a mistake, keeping him on for two ridiculous.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would keep him for a year as a squad player because I really can't see us having enough money to pad out the squad to the level we need.

But to look towards having him for another two seasons says some really disturbing things about our ambtions as a club and the brains of Roeder.

He's not anywhere near the quality of player we want in the first team.

Looking forward to Patrokles and AF defending this one later. :o

07-minister.jpg

"Mr. Sibierski is a fine man and a great player. He is not the 'wrong side of 30' and Mr. Roeder is making an excellent decision in extending his contract until he is 35, allowing him to finish his career at NUFC."

I would keep him for a year as a squad player because I really can't see us having enough money to pad out the squad to the level we need.

I wouldn't even give him another year tbh. He's nowhere near good enough and although he'll come in and graft and that, I'll be pretty disappointed if we start next season with Sibierski even on the bench. Imagine how much slower he'll be in a year or two's time too. :o

If he wouldnt take a one year extension at his age then he should have been shown the door instantly. If he wasn't even offered a one year extension however and was simply given two years then Roedent wants showing the door.

Fucking awful stuff from NUFC here. Can't help but feel it's Roeder being prophetic about his wretched prospects in the transfer market.

I wouldn't even give him another year tbh. He's nowhere near good enough and although he'll come in and graft and that, I'll be pretty disappointed if we start next season with Sibierski even on the bench. Imagine how much slower he'll be in a year or two's time too. :o

I know what you're saying, hopefully Owen & Sherla will be fit by then and we will have signed someone else too. But I just think with our injury problems the way they have been the past few seasons he's worth retaining for a while just in case.

I would hope we wouldn't need to play him in more than just a couple of cup games against lower league opposition though.

Does he even graft that much? Aye there has been occasions hes came back into our own half and stuck a foot in however for me he hits the floor with the slightest knock all to often.

Does he even graft that much? Aye there has been occasions hes came back into our own half and stuck a foot in however for me he hits the floor with the slightest knock all to often.

Also he's got the job that should take him up to retirement now and no doubt on good money. Hardly much in the way of natural incentive left-very different to the situation over the past six months where he's effectively been playing for an extension every time he's got on the pitch. If he wasn't offered a one year deal then theres something fucking ridiculously wrong-does Glenn honestly still think that Sib should still be featuring in the plans of the club for another two years hence?

Muppet show behind the scenes at SJP.

I wouldn't even give him another year tbh. He's nowhere near good enough and although he'll come in and graft and that, I'll be pretty disappointed if we start next season with Sibierski even on the bench. Imagine how much slower he'll be in a year or two's time too. :unsure:

He'll chase the ball and put them under pressure, but you're right, there's not much coming in in the way of concrete challenges. He's as soft as clarts as well. When he first came in and was doing well and scoring, it was never anything more than a purple patch. He looks now like the player I thought we'd signed when that fateful text arrived :o (i.e. not good enough). Why a manager would offer a contract extension to a player that clearly is not good enough is beyond me.

07-minister.jpg

"Mr. Sibierski is a fine man and a great player. He is not the 'wrong side of 30' and Mr. Roeder is making an excellent decision in extending his contract until he is 35, allowing him to finish his career at NUFC."

Yes. It's ridiculous. We should be going for Rooney or Pele.

ROEDER OUT!!!

:unsure:

07-minister.jpg

Yes. It's ridiculous. We should be going for Rooney or Pele.

ROEDER OUT!!!

:unsure:

:o I'll take that as acceptance of the fact that your cockney chum is planning yet another fuck up.

Here we are all hoping he's identified transfer targets for the summer, and all the while he's got his eye on Antoine Sibierski for a two year contract extension. :suicide::huh:

Fast forward to September 1st 2007:

"Whilst it may be disappointing to the fans that we have had trouble bringing in another striker, I feel that in Antoine Sibierski we have a player that can deputise well in that position. The addition this morning of the clubless Christian Dailly to the back four brings some much-needed experience in that area. For the third transfer window in a row I can honestly say that I am happy with the current squad of players."

If he wouldnt take a one year extension at his age then he should have been shown the door instantly. If he wasn't even offered a one year extension however and was simply given two years then Roedent wants showing the door.

Fucking awful stuff from NUFC here. Can't help but feel it's Roeder being prophetic about his wretched prospects in the transfer market.

Agreed.

Agreed.

Further agreed, I want him out tbh, don't like the cut of his jib

"....did I mention that no one commands more respect in the changing rooms than first choice right back Stephen Carr?"

Who I'm pleased to announce has this morning joined Babayarou and Bramble to committing themselves to the club for an other five years :o

two years? you're murdering me.

as others have said; he's a stopgap that has surpassed expectations but he's not good enough in the long term.

what an incredible statement of intent by the board.

"....did I mention that no one commands more respect in the changing rooms than first choice right back Stephen Carr?"

Who I'm pleased to announce has this morning joined Babayarou and Bramble to committing themselves to the club for an other five years :o

Link? Wouldn't suprise me but if it was remotely true that would be me and NUFC finished

Aye but to be fair Glenn was just talking about Carr's enormous penis.

Remember this is only Mc Kay talking at the minute, should the club decide to only give him a one year contract there isn't much he can do as he's unlikey to have any better offers on the table, I'd be absolutely amazed if we offered him two years.

Link? Wouldn't suprise me but if it was remotely true that would be me and NUFC finished

you expect anything less? i'm surprised