Owen-Martins and Dyer.

Park Life

Putting aside our obvious woes, I'm beginning to get excited at the prospect of this trio rampaging through opposition defences at pace. But how do we play them together?

......Dyer..............Martins.....

..............Owen...........

Is probably how the purists see it.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I reckon Milner will get dropped and it will be a 4-4-2 with Dyer on the right ;)

This would be worth a try though (imo)

Milner Butt/Parker Emre

Dyer Martins

Owen

But then we are leaving out the Zog.

Putting aside our obvious woes, I'm beginning to get excited at the prospect of this trio rampaging through opposition defences at pace. But how do we play them together?

......Dyer..............Martins.....

..............Owen...........

Is probably how the purists see it.

Positive thread? We'll have none of those on this board.

So, on the negative side, will Owen and Martins be able to play together? Will Owen come back the same player? Will Dyer retain his form (which already is showing signs of dwindling imo) or even manage to stay off the injury list?

;)

assuming everyone is fit and on form, the front 6 should be

dyer-----parker-------emre------duff

----------owen---------martins

although on current form you could argue that butt should start for parker and milner would be unlucky not to start. maybe even n'zogbia for duff too.

--------------------------Given

-----nobby-------gooch------taylor------baba

---------------butt-------emre------zog

---------------------------dyer

-------------------owen---------martins

--------------------------Given

-----nobby-------gooch------taylor------baba

---------------butt-------emre------zog

---------------------------dyer

-------------------owen---------martins

I was thinking along similar lines, to play real counter attacking football we would want the mf to drop off a bit...(To suck teams in)...So perhaps no 442.

It's rather likely we will see those three together on a plane to Dr. Steadman tbh. Don't know in which formation they will sit together though.

REALISM RULEZ

Edited by Isegrim

It should really be what Milan used to play a few years ago:

.............DM...........DM.............

.............CMF...........AMF.............

...................FOR.....................

...................STR.....................

Where's the width coming from though?

In a 4-3-3 instead of 4-5-1 he would get enough support imo.

Both formations are basically the same thing, you defend as a 4-5-1 and attack as a 4-3-3, the problem will be when we brake on the counter attack and expect Owen to hold the ball up until Martins and Dyer get forward to support him.

They tried him there a few times for England and it didn't work, one of the main doubts Rafa had about bringing him back to Liverpool was that he can't really play in any other formation apart from 4-4-2.

Where's the width coming from though?

Milan used to play for space rather than width. Move into available space rather than going for conventional positions.

The CMF/AMF....would be combinations of Zoggy,Emre.Dyer. If there was space wide they would move into that, if there was space 'in the hole' (Martins moving toward the ball) they move into this and rotate with the forward vacating. It's all about space ......The theory is based around playing where the opp aren't and making them uncomfortable by not giving them simple targets for marking.

The beauty of having Owen/Dyer and Martins is that at last we can play interchanging football at pace on the ground. Well that's the idea anyway.

Dyer and Martins have more than enough pace to get up and support quickly, who did Liverpool have to support? Plus one good drop off into Mildfield and one could hold.

I agree with Baggio. Owen's problem (for me) would be that in that formation his lack of ability to play with his back to goal/hold the ball up would mean the support would be wasting their time trying to get there. Owen just isn't strong enough. An alternative would be Dyer in a free role in behind him and Martins/Shola. You're struggling for width then with a narrow midfield (unless we buy two full-backs). Also, if we play three up or one behind the front (and assuming it's Dyer, Owen and Martins) where does that leave the likes of N'Zogbia, Milner and Duff?

tbh this only matters for this season as I'm sure during the summer we'll see a couple of midfield signings and a striker.

I'd personally play two different teams depending on the oppositions.

against the bigger (perhaps that should be better so as not to offend Everton) clubs I'd play

Given

Nobby Gooch Taylor Baba ;)

Dyer Parker Butt Zog

Owen Martins

with

Harper

Ramage/Huntingdon

Emre

O'Brien

Le Sib

weaker teams I'd field

------------Given

Nobby Gooch Taylor Baba

------------- Butt

---------Parker Emre

Dyer----------------- Martins

-------------Owen

With Martins and Dyer told to recieve the ball wide and cut inside, Baba and Nobby made to overlap. Parker and Butt would be able to get about the pitch to cover areas when we need them to, if Emre can stay pretty central we can look to him when we win back the ball. He can drive forward and supply the strikers.

Dyer and Martins have more than enough pace to get up and support quickly, who did Liverpool have to support? Plus one good drop off into Mildfield and one could hold.

Cisse and Garcia.

We'll have to agree to disagree as I can't think of one team that's been successful playing one up top with a striker that can't hold the ball up.

I agree with Baggio. Owen's problem (for me) would be that in that formation his lack of ability to play with his back to goal/hold the ball up would mean the support would be wasting their time trying to get there. Owen just isn't strong enough. An alternative would be Dyer in a free role in behind him and Martins/Shola. You're struggling for width then with a narrow midfield (unless we buy two full-backs). Also, if we play three up or one behind the front (and assuming it's Dyer, Owen and Martins) where does that leave the likes of N'Zogbia, Milner and Duff?

I would keep Zoggy who likes playing in the middle and get rid of Duff and Milner. This system is based on imagining where the player wants to be rather than passing 'to him'. The mf '3' interlock and rotate out or back into the middle depending on where the forwards (Martins and Owen) have drawn the Cd's.

Martins make a run wide and out to the left (as he often does and Owen moves towards the ball) the cd are caught in 2 minds.......