Should I get a car?

Happy Face

My travel ticket is £17.50 a week. It gets me around the North East only, any further and I have to pay to coach, train or fly there. I have to work around a timetable. I have to put up with late or cancelled journeys repeatedly, I have to put up with scum doing all sorts unchecked making the journey vary from unpleasant to dangerous. I have to stand half the time. My journey takes a whole lot longer and usually a smelly tramp is honking out an entire carriage.

Road Tax is £175 for the year Over 1549cc (£110 under, but we’ll go with the higher one). Motor Insurance obviously varies wildly but the average driver is paying about £806 a year (source). So that’s £981 to own a car that you can drive at your leisure which is £18.86 a week. Just £1.30 more.

So the only real question is how much will petrol cost when asking can I afford to drive? The average car doing 30mpg (source) means that, at an average of 86.9p/litre (source) and 3.78 litres per gallon you pay £3.28 to travel 30 miles (about 11p per mile).

Given that the the average annual mileage in a single car household is 8,000 miles (source) that means the cost of driving is just £16.85 a week. About half the cost of a match ticket. An amount I could easily afford.

I think I'll go for it, it's cheap as chips tbh. To hell with the environment, and next time I see Jeremy Clarkson whinge about paying less than £20 for the comfort and convenience of driving, whatever its effect. I might punch him on the nose.

If I've got my numbers terribly wrong please let me know. I don't want to get into too much debt.

Edited by Happy Face

Having a car open's a new dimention of freedom in my opinion, but will also cost you big time if you pick the wrong vehicle, I drive a real gaz guzzler and it cost me the very best part of £200 in diesel alone, be prepared to take a big dent in your outgoings if you own a car.

Having a car open's a new dimention of freedom in my opinion, but will also cost you big time if you pick the wrong vehicle, I drive a real gaz guzzler and it cost me the very best part of £200 in diesel alone, be prepared to take a big dent in your outgoings if you own a car.

So the BIG cost of driving is down to individual choosing souped up motors. Not Gordon Brown.

Happy, major factor when deciding is how much money you have or want to spend to buy a car in the first place?

You've totted up petrol and road tax, but the real killers and vary a great deal depending on the sort of car you have are MOT, Annual Service, and how readily available parts are for your car, which depends on the price.

IE Ford Focus parts may grow on trees because the car is so pupular.

So the BIG cost of driving is down to individual choosing souped up motors. Not Gordon Brown.

Its about ensuring you get the right car, I don't drive a Ferrari, I drive a people carrier that I do need due to having 3 kids, a Mrs, and two parents that can't drive, at the moment I'm borrowing my in-law's car which I've been using for getting to work and other short journey's and I've been getting away with putting £10 a week in, so driving can be cheap, but its about getting the right car.

Plus if you haven't already you need to learn to drive?

Passed 10 years ago, had a car for 5 and got rid just as the insurance was getting cheap.

I know the cost of car ownership, my point (poorly made) was to ask how public transport could ever appeal to anyone on even a modest income, and how car owners can have the gall to complain about the cost of driving when you get so much more for so little extra.

My travel ticket is £17.50 a week. It gets me around the North East only, any further and I have to pay to coach, train or fly there. I have to work around a timetable. I have to put up with late or cancelled journeys repeatedly, I have to put up with scum doing all sorts unchecked making the journey vary from unpleasant to dangerous. I have to stand half the time. My journey takes a whole lot longer and usually a smelly tramp is honking out an entire carriage.

Road Tax is £175 for the year Over 1549cc (£110 under, but we’ll go with the higher one). Motor Insurance obviously varies wildly but the average driver is paying about £806 a year (source). So that’s £981 to own a car that you can drive at your leisure which is £18.86 a week. Just £1.30 more.

So the only real question is how much will petrol cost when asking can I afford to drive? The average car doing 30mpg (source) means that, at an average of 86.9p/litre (source) and 3.78 litres per gallon you pay £3.28 to travel 30 miles (about 11p per mile).

Given that the the average annual mileage in a single car household is 8,000 miles (source) that means the cost of driving is just £16.85 a week. About half the cost of a match ticket. An amount I could easily afford.

I think I'll go for it, it's cheap as chips tbh. To hell with the environment, and next time I see Jeremy Clarkson whinge about paying less than £20 for the comfort and convenience of driving, whatever its effect. I might punch him on the nose.

If I've got my numbers terribly wrong please let me know. I don't want to get into too much debt.

You've forgotten to buy the car. :lol:

:razz:

That's a one off payment, not an ongoing expense.

<_<

Outsmarted by Ally, can there be worse?

<_<

<_<

Not in practice. If you buy a new car you'll need to budget at least £300 a month in car or loan repayments!

I say no, stick with public transport. But only because I don't want another car on the North Tyneside roads. So really, yes, do it, you'd be mad not to.

<_<

Not in practice. If you buy a new car you'll need to budget at least £300 a month in car or loan repayments!

I say no, stick with public transport. But only because I don't want another car on the North Tyneside roads. So really, yes, do it, you'd be mad not to.

You both forgot to factor in depreciation, which in itself is a further massive cost. Then there's inevitable parking, speeding fines, car washing, general maintenance costs...

All worth it. :razz:

<_<

You both forgot to factor in depreciation, which in itself is a further massive cost. Then there's inevitable parking, speeding fines, car washing, general maintenance costs...

All worth it. :razz:

Agreed, about parking etc (can be a killer), but depreciation isn't really a cost. Rather, what's left of the value of your car is a [usually small] bonus. But it's still worth it, because there is no viable alternative.

I'll need no such thing. I would NEVER buy something on tick.

<_<

Not as bad as knowing you made the same point three posts above then being completely ignored in favour of Ally who copies what I said and then gets a response!

I didn't realise it was a rhetorical question mind. It did seem quite genuine! <_<

You've forgotten to buy the car. :razz:

<_<

<_<

;)

Not as bad as knowing you made the same point three posts above then being completely ignored in favour of Ally who copies what I said and then gets a response!

I didn't realise it was a rhetorical question mind. It did seem quite genuine! :razz:

No-one reads your posts. They just stare at your avatar. :lol:

You've forgotten to buy the car. :razz:

<_<

I didn't realise it was a rhetorical question mind. It did seem quite genuine! ;)

No-one reads your posts. They just stare at your avatar. :lol:

What he said.

People feel an urge to read my posts round these parts. <_<

depreciation is a cost whether paid for up-front or on the never never, cars have a finite usable life.

you also forgot servicing, which is necessary but a total rip-off, mechanics are complete cunts and cars are stupidly complex these days, plus necessary routine replacement costs such as tyres, bulbs, oil etc. One puncture on my motor and that's a good weekend reduced to a shite one.

Also, consider where you work, where you live, and where you are likely to drive, re: parking costs/charges and potential vandalism or damage that your insurance company usually get out of paying for one way another. These repairs are also eye wateringly expensive.

Plus, over the likely lifetime of owning a car, there are the unknowns of increasing insurance costs, the green movement on increasing car tax etc, potential road pricing etc etc

Finally, consider your health. I went from a fit and healthy person to a fat lazy bastard, without changing anything about my lifestyle or diet/exercise. Only 2 common factors, aging and when I started driving.

I've owned a house and a car for years, and made a lot of bad financial decisions that have cost a lot of money, but I feel physically sick whenever I think what I've spent on the car. And I am lucky enough to own the car of my dreams (well, within reason)

Edited by Super_Steve_Howey