These New Owners of West Ham

LeazesMag

Attention to detail is key though. Whether the water bottles thing helps or not is by the by. I doubt we have anything like the right emphasis on looking at the players' individual needs / limitations and working on them. Our coaching staff are a bit of a joke.

But they're better than what we had pre 1992 so that's good enough for Leazes. :D

So was Souness tbh :D

Panic over lads, we've just appointed a new Chief Exec.

5 March 2007

NEWCASTLE UNITED PLC ("NEWCASTLE" OR THE "COMPANY")

PLC Chief Executive

The Board of Newcastle United PLC is pleased to announce that Mr. Steve Walton

will be joining the Company in May 2007 as PLC Chief Executive. This move is

designed to strengthen the existing management team in view of a number of

proposed future developments in and around St. James' Park.

I don't know anything about the bloke, but on paper this is a move into the right direction. The stock market announcement sounds as if there is more to come. Let's wait and see...

And I forgot to add: "planning" :D :D :D

Edited by Isegrim

Panic over lads, we've just appointed a new Chief Exec.

5 March 2007

NEWCASTLE UNITED PLC ("NEWCASTLE" OR THE "COMPANY")

PLC Chief Executive

The Board of Newcastle United PLC is pleased to announce that Mr. Steve Walton

will be joining the Company in May 2007 as PLC Chief Executive. This move is

designed to strengthen the existing management team in view of a number of

proposed future developments in and around St. James' Park.

I don't know anything about the bloke, but on paper this is a move into the right direction. The stock market announcement sounds as if there is more to come. Let's wait and see...

And I forgot to add: "planning" :D :D :D

That doesn't sound like it'll have an impact on the football side, just the business side.

Also what relation is he to Shepherd - cousin?

Attention to detail is key though. Whether the water bottles thing helps or not is by the by. I doubt we have anything like the right emphasis on looking at the players' individual needs / limitations and working on them. Our coaching staff are a bit of a joke.

But they're better than what we had pre 1992 so that's good enough for Leazes. :D

Well, the vast majority of clubs in the country with superior clubs will be watching us - again - play in europe this week. :D

Well, the vast majority of clubs in the country with superior clubs will be watching us - again - play in europe this week. :D

Not if they've got any sense they won't!

Watch us play a blinder now :D

From ITV:

Newcastle United plc have named Steve Walton, a relationship director with Barclays Large Corporate Banking, as their new chief executive.

A statement said the appointment has been "designed to strengthen the existing management team in view of a number of proposed future developments in and around St James' Park".

Walton has been with Barclays for many years in a variety of roles including sales and marketing, corporate finance and retail banking.

For the past 12 years he has been responsible for Barclays' football operations, particularly with Premiership clubs.

His relationship with Newcastle goes back more than 10 years and he has been heavily involved in all aspects of the club's financing over that period.

From ITV:

Newcastle United plc have named Steve Walton, a relationship director with Barclays Large Corporate Banking, as their new chief executive.

A statement said the appointment has been "designed to strengthen the existing management team in view of a number of proposed future developments in and around St James' Park".

Walton has been with Barclays for many years in a variety of roles including sales and marketing, corporate finance and retail banking.

For the past 12 years he has been responsible for Barclays' football operations, particularly with Premiership clubs.

His relationship with Newcastle goes back more than 10 years and he has been heavily involved in all aspects of the club's financing over that period.

So thats it then Baggio. We have a "plan", like Spurs, or "backround business team", so we are going to win titles and cups .... :D:D

Edited by LeazesMag

From ITV:

So thats it then Baggio. We have a "plan", like Spurs, or "backround business team", so we are going to win titles and cups .... :D:D

I really can't be bothered with you anymore, Leazes.

Unless you have something worthwhile to say I'm not going to bother wasting my time with you.

From ITV:

I really can't be bothered with you anymore, Leazes.

Unless you have something worthwhile to say I'm not going to bother wasting my time with you.

Shame Baggio, but I realised ages ago I couldn't be bothered with your "planning" posts, when you've spouted it. To be fair, you aren't the only one. Most of your chums seem to have same naive, unrealistic, idea. As i said, now we have a "plan" and "business setup", we will see what effect it has on the results on the pitch, which has by far the biggest financial impact on a football club, always has done, and always will do. Lets hope the other clubs with "plans" don't find the 3 trophy winning managers a year, before we do, such is their "plan".

:D:icon_lol::blush:

You've been a laugh, I'll give you that much.

I can carry on posting that we have made big strides under the current board, and have qualified for europe more than any other team in the country bar 4 in the last decade, but sadly if you prefer to think I am making this up, and a "plan" will guarantee improvement, then go ahead and continue to delude yourself.

In the meantime, you can continue copying and pasting the usual Fred out stuff, if you think such comments are worthwhile.

Edited by LeazesMag

The reason I can't be bother with you is because you're a sad old man who gets his kicks out of life by trying to start arguments with people on message boards.

You really are one of life's losers.

The reason I can't be bother with you is because you're a sad old man who gets his kicks out of life by trying to start arguments with people on message boards.

You really are one of life's losers.

Shame you think that, but I'm only 52 and having a good life, thanks !!! :D

I am not trying to start any arguments BTW, but it is interesting to see that you consider you are not attempting to start an argument with me ? Why not look at the facts I post, and observe that you can't argue with facts ?

As i said, we will see if this appointment improves results on the field, because this is the only area which can significantly improve the clubs finances, apart from Abramovic suddenly deciding he is better off here than at Chelsea.

It is pointless debating with someone who ignores the facts, which are as i have stated on numerous occasions. So the feeling is mutual. Which is a bit of a shame tbh, because you do appear to have a bit more about you than certain others, even though I disagree with you.

For the record, I was jealous of Spurs, and their "plan", when we had a shit board and they signed Gazza and Waddle from us, but I certainly have not been over the last 15 years apart from the one day they won the League Cup. To counteract that, they will have been massively jealous of us when we were playing in the Champions League, europe, when they have not, and beating them in the FA Cup Semi Final. All under Shepherd too, incredibly !!!!!!!

How is this appointment going to improve results on the field? he's came in because we haven't replaced Freddie Fletcher properly and he left a few years ago, if anything he's here to try and dig us out of the shit we've got ourselves in financially, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the Halls idea to put pressure on Freddie as they've made it obvious they want to sell up.

We'll have to agree to disagree on how we think Shepherd is doing as chairman as it really does feel like groundhog day in every other thread and tbh I just can't be bothered going over the same old thing all the time.

Not that old chestnut.

Yep, I bet they're absolutely green with envy at our Intertoto Cup win too. The UEFA Cup is a competition for the terminally mediocre. Until the last round Blackburn were in it ffs. We played a team of part-timers in the last round. Do you really think that anyone is overly impressed by our progress in this tournament?

Yep, I bet they're absolutely green with envy at our Intertoto Cup win too. The UEFA Cup is a competition for the terminally mediocre. Until the last round Blackburn were in it ffs. We played a team of part-timers in the last round. Do you really think that anyone is overly impressed by our progress in this tournament?

Conversely, was anyone green with envy last year watching other British clubs in the competition last year? The only envy I felt was when Boro actually got to the final (more than we have done in Europe under Shepherd Leazes), and we all know what happened there.

Shame Baggio, but I realised ages ago I couldn't be bothered with your "planning" posts, when you've spouted it. To be fair, you aren't the only one. Most of your chums seem to have same naive, unrealistic, idea. As i said, now we have a "plan" and "business setup", we will see what effect it has on the results on the pitch, which has by far the biggest financial impact on a football club, always has done, and always will do. Lets hope the other clubs with "plans" don't find the 3 trophy winning managers a year, before we do, such is their "plan".

Please point me to any post suggesting that a "plan" :D:D:D will guarantee success?

But I can guarantee that not "planning" :icon_lol::blush::D (e.g. panic signings like Souness, and I agree that the manager is the most important part around every "plan" :D:D:D ) will guarantee failure (as it did with Souness).

Edited by Isegrim

Please point me to any post suggesting that a "plan" :D:D:D will guarantee success?

But I can guarantee that not "planning" :icon_lol::blush::D (e.g. panic signings like Souness, and I agree that the manager is the most important part around every "plan" :D:D:D ) will guarantee failure (as it did with Souness).

if a "plan" doesn't necessarily bring success, why bother mentioning it all the time ?

A good manager, who knows what he is doing, yes. But, as you know, there are only 3 managers who win the cups each season, and unfortunately everybody else wants them too. If appointing managers who have been successful elsewhere is not aiming for success, what is your opinion on what the club ought to have been looking for, since Keegan especially ?

I totally agree that a manager who doesn't know what he is doing will guarantee failure, which is the complete opposite of the above.

What do you mean exactly by "panic" signings ? Signings made just before the transfer deadline due to not being able to get the players you want the most - which most clubs fail to do - or snapping up a player who suddenly and unexpectedly becomes available, for instance ?

If the former, then would you like to tell us how many players are currently at the club who were last minute pre-deadline players, and also those who are not and were deliberately targetted ie "planned signings" by the club ?

How is this appointment going to improve results on the field?

precisely my point. Surprised you didn't grasp it.

he's came in because we haven't replaced Freddie Fletcher properly and he left a few years ago, if anything he's here to try and dig us out of the shit we've got ourselves in financially, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the Halls idea to put pressure on Freddie as they've made it obvious they want to sell up.

We'll have to agree to disagree on how we think Shepherd is doing as chairman as it really does feel like groundhog day in every other thread and tbh I just can't be bothered going over the same old thing all the time.

It depends what you want from your chairman. Do you want someone who is a likeable character, or stays in the backround, and doesn't really back his manager the way he could, or do you want one who backs his managers and is prepared to show ambition on the back of a club with a big fanbase, even if he can be a gobshite ? I can assure you - yes from experience, which Noelie will back up being an experienced supporter of the club too - that if you had the former, you would not be very happy about it. Some of us have seen both sides of this coin, and think the risk is very high to risk of going back to that way of running the club. As I point out, look at other clubs who change boards, for the worse. A lot of them were superior to us for long periods. I fail to see how you can't understand or see this. To date, not one single person or organisation has came forward and expressed the wish or the desire to do better.

Contrary to what you may think, the grass isn't always greener, and very few clubs have the perfect chairman.

if a "plan" doesn't necessarily bring success, why bother mentioning it all the time ?

A good manager, who knows what he is doing, yes. But, as you know, there are only 3 managers who win the cups each season, and unfortunately everybody else wants them too. If appointing managers who have been successful elsewhere is not aiming for success, what is your opinion on what the club ought to have been looking for, since Keegan especially ?

I totally agree that a manager who doesn't know what he is doing will guarantee failure, which is the complete opposite of the above.

What do you mean exactly by "panic" signings ? Signings made just before the transfer deadline due to not being able to get the players you want the most - which most clubs fail to do - or snapping up a player who suddenly and unexpectedly becomes available, for instance ?

If the former, then would you like to tell us how many players are currently at the club who were last minute pre-deadline players, and also those who are not and were deliberately targetted ie "planned signings" by the club ?

I mention "planning" :D:D:lol: all the time, because I don't think that the club is doing it as much as it should do. A "plan" isn't the guarantee for success, but in most cases the foundation. If success doesn't come by planning, it certainly doesn't come accidental.

IMHO a club like Newcastle should have a far better infrastructure and better set up. You might not like the idea of a director of football (or a similar person with another title) who supports the manager, but it is something which most actually successful clubs feel is needed. I think it is in SBR's biography where he tells how he liked the old Ipswich days where a manager was responsible for everything, but how it has become impossible in todays football as things are far more complex. Which is why a professional set up involving more people working together is needed nowadays. Of course football is a day-to-day business, but even then you need some kind of strategy to minimise the risks of that kind of business.

With "panic signing" in the above post I referred to the appointment of Souness. A better "planning" of the appointment of the manager wouldn't have set the club as much backwards as it did. We would have been far more comfortable with maybe letting Carver in charge of things for another couple of weeks until we had sounded out all possibilities, something I don't think we did with Souness. The worst thing is still that the fall out with the major performers was always written on the wall and I still can't get my head round how anyone could come to the idea that Souness would be a decent choice (and don't get me wrong, I think that this is probably rather a failure from Dougie Hall than Shepherd).

But you are right, the "planning" of transfers is something I am highly critical about. Of course there is no guarantee that you get the players you want. But you have to find the balance in holding out and looking at the team's needs. Even before Owen's injury it was obvious that a couple of positions desperately needed strengthening as we were lacking as well class as depth, i.e. both full back positions, centre half and a striker (which become two strikers the moment Owen twisted his knee). It was highly careless to wait until July (something Roeder openly admitted that they did) to wait until make concrete "plans" for the recruitment of players. If you do that there is a big chance that you are running late into signing you players. Not having them in pre-season training and get to know each other on the football pitch is a big disadvantage as every professional manager will tell you. That's why I don't think signing players late in August is a good idea whatsoever. Just for example, Bayern are due to make their third signing for the upcoming next season this week (edit: they just did).

And I don't think appointing Roeder on the base of a decent run of games at the end of last season was a good idea. With the club being in the limbo about getting the permission for Roeder it did even more damage to the club. I agree that finding the right manager is difficult, as everything has come together which is rarely the case (but was in the case of Keegan and Robson). But I think Newcastle were in the perfect position to have a deep assessment of the needs when Souness was (thankfully) sacked and replaced by Roeder as a caretaker (something I advised from the start of the season btw). I found it a bit disappointing that it was clear after a few weeks and a few good results that the job was Roeder's.

As I said in another thread today, unless we don't have someone up the sleeves who is thought to be much better than Roeder, there is no point in sacking him, unless we want the Souness-scenario again (and this time we don't even have a considerate option for a care taker). But I think Roeder's job should be made more easy by a personal infrastructure that equals todays demands of a professional football club. Although not directly related to the managing staff I am happy that with the re-installation of a new chief executive the first step seems to be done.

Edited by Isegrim

Please, someone make it stop. :D :D

Edit: talking about LM's identikit post no. 3292 btw.

too many people on here copying and pasting each others posts, Renton. Unfortunately for you all, it doesn't make you all right though.

Would you like to post the pre-deadline "panic" signings we have made, and the ones who aren't and so were actually targetted by the club, before Baggio ?