Sunderland

Getting back on track, I'm quite concerned that, if promoted, the mackems will beat us next year and have a reasonable chance of finishing above us, thanks to the sterling work of Shepherd and his cronies. On the SMB they have a thread called "Let's all laugh at the Mags" which is fair enough I suppose as they are on a bit of a high and we continue to amuse the neutrals let alone the mackems.

Anyway, one contribution is two photos - one of Niall Quinn shaking Keane's hand as he becomes manager, another is of fat fuck shaking Roeder's hand, presumably under the same circumstances. The fact that this has been posted on this thread at all and is regarded as funny tells its own story. The mackem's management looks young, virile, confident and forward-looking, while ours looks stale, past it, and entrenched in the past. Sad really.

Anyway, obviously I hope the mackem's don't get promoted and if they do they fall flat on their faces, but this time I'm not so sure. Keane is looking like a decent manager and there seems to be a genuine feeling of optimism over there. Maybe not quite like 1992 and Keegan for us but along those lines. If they are promoted I think the club will be heavily invested in. Meanwhile, where do we go from here? The increased Sky money will help us with our debts, but everyone else will benefit too, meaning transfers and wages will likely increase even more. Meanwhile we'll probably stick with Roeder who imo is the worst manager at this level - I have little confidence in his signings. I expect season ticket sales to fall and the atmosphere to worsen too, and there will be no Europe to distract us.

One thing won't change will be LeazesMag though, who'll remind us all how jealous Hartlepool are about us.

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope they don't get up after the volley of texts I got from my sister's mackem twat boyfriend. As for them coming up and beating us - they're still scraping home draws against the likes of Stoke at home. They're still a long way from being a premiership outfit.

I hope they don't get up after the volley of texts I got from my sister's mackem twat boyfriend. As for them coming up and beating us - they're still scraping home draws against the likes of Stoke at home. They're still a long way from being a premiership outfit.

It's foolish not to give Keane credit where it's due though. He came in with an effective 12 point handicap and might win automatic promotion. Rumours are they'll have a lot to spend if they are promoted, and Keane will be able to attract players, unlike Roeder.

It's foolish not to give Keane credit where it's due though. He came in with an effective 12 point handicap and might win automatic promotion. Rumours are they'll have a lot to spend if they are promoted, and Keane will be able to attract players, unlike Roeder.

Anybody who underestimates Roy Keane is an idiot. The bloke is a born winner, has the full support of a passionate crowd and the backing of a popular board. Its a frightening combination imo

Sunlun are doing quite well, there's no dispute. However, I'm sure Gatesy (and any realist mackem) would state that a lot of their points have been picked up fortuitously. Whatever, as they are coming up automatically imo. (apparently the Wembley stadium people are terrified of Sunlun making the play-off final due to the cost of disinfecting the place after their visit).

But, and it's a big BUT, anyone with any knowledge would know that the relationship between Quinn and Keane is brittle, to say the least. Keane could leave that club at any moment and wouldn't go back - regardless of circumstances.

I think he's doing an excellent job, but I'm not too concerned about them immediately bursting onto the Premiership scene. Not at the minute anyway. We'll see.

I think he's doing an excellent job, but I'm not too concerned about them immediately bursting onto the Premiership scene. Not at the minute anyway. We'll see.

I'm exactly the same mate, I think he has done remarkable considering the amount of deadwood there at the start of the season, let us not forget he's already had a decent amount to spend for that level (obviously not on Steve Bruce terms like) but when I hear people make comparisons with the job KK done getting us up there really isn't one due to the fact we absolutely battered anyone in front of us that season and took that same level of no fear attitude let's not lie down, if they want to beat us then they're going to have to outscore us attitude up with us.

I'm exactly the same mate, I think he has done remarkable considering the amount of deadwood there at the start of the season, let us not forget he's already had a decent amount to spend for that level (obviously not on Steve Bruce terms like) but when I hear people make comparisons with the job KK done getting us up there really isn't one due to the fact we absolutely battered anyone in front of us that season and took that same level of no fear attitude let's not lie down, if they want to beat us then they're going to have to outscore us attitude up with us.

Keegan wasn't an immediate success it has to be said.

I always thought Keane would be either superb or totally shit at football management, I couldn't see an in-between. Unfortunately it looks like he might be the former. Having said that, he probably is a bomb waiting to go off, perhaps another similarity he has with Keegan and one that I hope will be his downfall.

I always thought Keane would be either superb or totally shit at football management, I couldn't see an in-between. Unfortunately it looks like he might be the former. Having said that, he probably is a bomb waiting to go off, perhaps another similarity he has with Keegan and one that I hope will be his downfall.

No but was due to the fact he had to strive to keep us in the division along with when he almost walked out on us.

No but was due to the fact he had to strive to keep us in the division along with when he almost walked out on us.

Anyhow I'm not saying Keane is the new Keegan (he's actually more likely to be the new Clough <_< ), but just there are some similarities between the mackems now and us in 1992. Optimism can be infectious and take you places, and sadly we are all out of it.

oh dear.

I think if you asked a Leeds supporter now - as they are where we were when Keegan came in - if they would consider staying up success, they would say yes. Likewise if you said would they take winning the league and getting back to the premiership too, they would say it is beyond their wildest dreams.

I didn't picture you as someone who doesn't know the Keegan era, Renton. Others maybe, and before, especially, but not you.

tend to agree. We will see how he reacts when things go against him, having said that they said that about Keegan for 5 years.....

Edited by LeazesMag

oh dear.

I think if you asked a Leeds supporter now - as they are where we were when Keegan came in - if they would consider staying up success, they would say yes. Likewise if you said would they take winning the league and getting back to the premiership too, they would say it is beyond their wildest dreams.

I didn't picture you as someone who doesn't know the Keegan era, Renton. Others maybe, and before, especially, but not you.

tend to agree. We will see how he reacts when things go against him, having said that they said that about Keegan for 5 years.....

Keane has been an instant success so far though Leazes, I was making a comparison. Iirc, Keegan had a fantastic start but results dropped off and we came very close to relegation, obviously. Things were very nearly different, but yes, I suppose avoiding the drop constituted a different kind of success.

oh dear.

Keane has been an instant success so far though Leazes, I was making a comparison. Iirc, Keegan had a fantastic start but results dropped off and we came very close to relegation, obviously. Things were very nearly different, but yes, I suppose avoiding the drop constituted a different kind of success.

ah, yes, OK. I take your point. You mean he gave the team a lift, got out of the bottom positions, then lost 6 games in a row and had to go into the last 2 games on the knife edge. I don't think any other person could have saved Newcastle under those circumstances, but of course thats only opinion.

How well Keane does, depends on 1. how much backing he gets from the board, and 2. How well he spends the money and handles the bigger players if they get them, which like any promoted team, they will need.

I think they will come up though. Now. He seems to have more about him than monkey heed did, and its also highly likely that the board will take a different approach too.

oh dear.

ah, yes, OK. I take your point. You mean he gave the team a lift, got out of the bottom positions, then lost 6 games in a row and had to go into the last 2 games on the knife edge. I don't think any other person could have saved Newcastle under those circumstances, but of course thats only opinion.

How well Keane does, depends on 1. how much backing he gets from the board, and 2. How well he spends the money and handles the bigger players if they get them, which like any promoted team, they will need.

I think they will come up though. Now. He seems to have more about him than monkey heed did, and its also highly likely that the board will take a different approach too.

• 1 year later...
Guest Stevie

Thing is, most people on here are so clueless they don't even realise that Poirot was in the books by Agatha Christie a long time before he was on TV.

Good post. Don't expect many on here to understand that though. [/HTL]

;)

Speaking of over-giddy, my sister's mackem boyfriend text me to offer me a £100 bet on them finishing above us next season. I couldn't text back quick enough to accept.

I've already offered him double or quits on it for the season after, assuming they stay up.

I think one fan is will be celebrating just that little bit more if we win on Sunday.. ;)