If a nuclear bomb..........

Guest stevieintoon

Guest stevieintoon

..hit the toon, if it went off right over Grey's Monument, what is the nearest point to the epicentre you could survive the initial blast? Like if I was having a pint in Whitley Bay, would that be far away enough to survive the blast. Obviously the radiation would get you, but what distance from the toon would be completely wiped out? Would it flatter Sunderland too. St James' Park would be gone in a mili-second but surely some buildings would survive. Say you were in Hexham and the wind was strongly blowing over towards the North Sea surely you would initially get away with not being effected by the blast and the radiation???

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To be honest, I'd much rather be taken out by the initial blast than slowly dieing during a nuclear winter. Happy happy joy joy..joy joy..joy joy...

Hell yes. I hate being cold :unsure:

Cheery bunch today, aren't we?! :unsure:

Standing in a beer garden in Whitley Bay, you would immediatley burst into flames. and the pub would be half flattened a few minutes later

Rough area?

Guest stevieintoon

Standing in a beer garden in Whitley Bay, you would immediatley burst into flames. and the pub would be half flattened a few minutes later

It's 12 miles away though.

As the resident nuclear expert. I have nae idea, depends on the power of the bomb really. Is it a Trident style ICBN or a suitcase packed with polonium. If its the latter you're fine. The former you'll most likely be vapourised.

..hit the toon, if it went off right over Grey's Monument, what is the nearest point to the epicentre you could survive the initial blast? Like if I was having a pint in Whitley Bay, would that be far away enough to survive the blast. Obviously the radiation would get you, but what distance from the toon would be completely wiped out? Would it flatter Sunderland too. St James' Park would be gone in a mili-second but surely some buildings would survive. Say you were in Hexham and the wind was strongly blowing over towards the North Sea surely you would initially get away with not being effected by the blast and the radiation???

Aye, sunlun would deffo look far better after the event. :unsure:

Guest stevieintoon

i reckon it would depend on the height that the bomb was detonated

Rob W will know - he worked on the Manhatton project.

Most of them go off one mile above the ground. I can't see the blast wiping out Whitley Bay if goes off ove the toon. People one mile away from the epicentre of Hiroshima survived.

Most of them go off one mile above the ground. I can't see the blast wiping out Whitley Bay if goes off ove the toon. People one mile away from the epicentre of Hiroshima survived.

Aye, but...

I think modern ICBMs are a good deal more powerful than the H-Bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, like.

Guest stevieintoon

Aye, but...

I think modern ICBMs are a good deal more powerful than the H-Bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, like.

Aye but not so powerful everything is wiped out 12 miles away.

Aye, but...

With a powerful enough bomb you could have significant damage within that sort of range.

I can think of a few places i'd like a nuclear bomb to hit tbh

Thats what I expected this thread to be about "If a nuclear bomb went off where you would live it to be? London or Liverpool for me...."

Aye, but...

With a powerful enough bomb you could have significant damage within that sort of range.

It's still quite a range, we should narrow it down a bit. What if it's a selfmade nuclear bomb made out of an old boiler...

Anyway...

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Science/Nuke.html