Onyewu left in limbo

Scottish Mag

Oguchi Onyewu will not be welcomed back by Standard Liege if he does not earn a permanent contract with Newcastle United as the Belgian club want to sell him.

United manager Glenn Roeder has admitted he took the American international on loan until the end of the season as a way to offer the player an extended trial on Tyneside, as they were unsure whether he could adapt to English football. But after two months and five games for the Magpies, it is far from certain Onyewu will be given a permanent deal, with Roeder warning last week the defender has still not done enough to prove he is good enough to play in the Premiership.

Newcastle's manager insisted the 6ft 3in player had eight games left to show he can succeed in English football, eight games Liege will have a keen interest in.

The Journal understands United, who are aiming to sign two new centre-backs in the summer, will keep either Titus Bramble or Onyewu, with Roeder yet to make a final decision. Bramble had been set for a new contract, but talks were called off after he was heavily criticised by Roeder in the aftermath of the Uefa Cup defeat by Alkmaar.

Sources in Belgium, though, also suggest that Liege only agreed to allow Onyewu to move on loan to Newcastle in an effort to attract interest from other clubs.

Liege have privately admitted they suspect Newcastle will not sign the player permanently in the summer, but they are still confident they will be able to find a buyer.

A source in Belgium said: "Standard Liege do not want Oguchi to come back and he does not want to come back to Belgium. They want to sell him and, even though they know Newcastle might not sign him, they agreed to let him go on loan to attract interest from other clubs.

"Whatever happens with Newcastle, Liege will sell him in the summer. He has been linked with Real Madrid, Chelsea and Marseille in the past and there are other clubs as well."

The Belgians are committed to selling their centre-back to raise funds and believe there is still interest from major European clubs, even if the player has not made a huge impact in England so far.

While Chelsea manager Jose Mourinho would appear to be looking elsewhere for defensive recruits, reports in Belgium claim Real and Marseille are both still interested, with the former reportedly close to making an 8m euro bid last year.

That would seem a little far-fetched given the Spanish club could have Jonathan Woodgate, who is on a season's loan at Middlesbrough, back at the Bernabeu instead, which might explain why Liege are still touting the player to clubs across the Continent.

Meanwhile, Andrew Carroll is hoping to get another crack at first-team action before the end of the season as the teenager looks to continue his rapid progress at St James's Park. Carroll became the youngest player - at 17 years and 300 days - to play for United in Europe when he came on as a late substitute in the 1-0 win over Palermo.

The Gateshead-born front man has since gone on to make his Premiership bow in the 1-0 defeat at Wigan Athletic and has made a total of four first-team appearances this season, as well as helping the Academy side reach the semi-finals of the FA Youth Cup.

And the former Joseph Swan School Pupil, who scored twice for the reserves in their 3-0 win over Sheffield United in midweek, is keen to make further strides into the first team in the coming weeks, despite the planned return of Michael Owen from injury. He said: "I've scored a couple of goals and if I keep working hard then hopefully I will get another first team run out. I've loved every minute playing for the first team and it's given me a taste for more.

"It was good to get a win against Sheffield United and luckily I've scored two headers. It was a relief because I haven't scored for a while."

Keep him get rid of Bramble. He hasnt proved he is good enough. Bramble has proved he isn't good enough.

There's something not quite right about your logic there :crylaughin:

Keep him get rid of Bramble. He hasnt proved he is good enough. Bramble has proved he isn't good enough.

Why not? He's saying that Onyewu might be okay but Bramble definitely isn't - Goochy > Bramble - so if we're going to keep one he wants us to take a risk rather than keep someone he thinks is pants.

Edited by Walliver

Why not? He's saying that Onyewu might be okay but Bramble definitely isn't - Goochy > Bramble - so if we're going to keep one he wants us to take a risk rather than keep someone he thinks is pants.

Because we shouldn't be signing a player if he hasn't proved he's good enough. It was a bit of a tongue-in-cheek comment really but on a more serious note we shouldn't put ourselves in the position where we either keep one or the other. If neither are good enough (and we already know one of them isn't) we should not keep either. I realise there are no quotes from Roeder and The Journal may be 'wide of the mark' to use a well-worn Thompson House cliche.

Edited by alex

Bramble goes for nowt, we sign Onyewu for an overinflated price and we find he's as bad if not worse than Titus. That's the Newcastle way I'll think you'll find.

Or, keep Bramble who'll continue to be shite, let Onyewu go and watch him flourish with another team then try to buy him back at a super ridiculously inflated price.

He has been linked with Real Madrid, Chelsea and Marseille in the past and there are other clubs as well."

Fuck me, who was the source, his agent?

Actually, there were reliable reports over here that all three clubs were in for him before he went to Newcastle. In fact, one source which is usually quite accurate even reported that he had *signed* for l'OM the day before it was confirmed he was with NUFC.

He has been linked with Real Madrid, Chelsea and Marseille in the past and there are other clubs as well."

Aye that bit is pretty amazing.

Seems like EVERYONE is "linked" with RM and Chelski these days though. :crylaughin:

Actually, there were reliable reports over here that all three clubs were in for him before he went to Newcastle. In fact, one source which is usually quite accurate even reported that he had *signed* for l'OM the day before it was confirmed he was with NUFC.

Several reliable sources way off the mark then. :crylaughin:

Bramble goes for nowt, we sign Onyewu for an overinflated price and we find he's as bad if not worse than Titus. That's the Newcastle way I'll think you'll find.

Or, keep Bramble who'll continue to be shite, let Onyewu go and watch him flourish with another team then try to buy him back at a super ridiculously inflated price.

Bingo.

The same sources which failed to pick up on the fact that Fowler was in talks about moving to the US? :crylaughin:

The same sources which failed to pick up on the fact that Fowler was in talks about moving to the US? :crylaughin:

Actually the reliable sources failed to pick that up, but I did end up finding some of the more 'colorful' sites that had that story. *shrug*

Doesn't fall into the category of 'reliable sources' though does it?

Still, the quotes *are* from his agent.

Tbh the only way I can see RM having made a bid (as opposed to some agent made up stuff) for him is to try and sell shirts in the USA. Even as a backup's backup they've GOT to be able to afford and attract better.

Although I'm fairly sure Hartlepool players will soon start being linked with Chelski and RM. :crylaughin:

Doesn't fall into the category of 'reliable sources' though does it?

Still, the quotes *are* from his agent.

Tbh the only way I can see RM having made a bid (as opposed to some agent made up stuff) for him is to try and sell shirts in the USA. Even as a backup's backup they've GOT to be able to afford and attract better.

Although I'm fairly sure Hartlepool players will soon start being linked with Chelski and RM. :crylaughin:

When the supposed bid was lodged, he was rated very highly after being steady in the Belgian League and having a strong showing at the World Cup. I'm sure his stock has fallen since coming to Newcastle, and rightly so. Whether or not Real were actually in for him? Who knows, but there were certainly big clubs sniffing around.