I'm not excited

Howaythetoon

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can honestly say that I am just as excited as when we signed Shearer. I was up in the air all day yesterday and totally unable to concentrate on anything I was doing (I even found myself watching SSN at four this morning while I feed the baby).I was so nervous yesterday that something would go wrong that I didn't post any messages but I am finally believing that this will actually happen.

The only drawback being the lingering feeling that we might be on the look out for his replacement next summer.

But for now I am absolutely buzzing and growing in confidence that we can actually mount an attack on a champions league place if we can get a bit of luck with injuries.

If we could have only sorted these deals out sooner we could be 6 or more points better off but hey this simply isn't a time for negatives.

I can't wait for the Fulham game now and I think I will be having a bet on Owen for first goal and the Toon to win 4-0. That is the confidence that I am feeling and I think the rest of the fans and the players will all be feeling the same. The atmosphere against Fulham will be the best in a hell of a long time and I for one look forward to savouring it.

I can honestly say that I am just as excited as when we signed Shearer.  I was up in the air all day yesterday and totally unable to concentrate on anything I was doing (I even found myself watching SSN at four this morning while I feed the baby).I was so nervous yesterday that something would go wrong that I didn't post any messages but I am finally believing that this will actually happen.

The only drawback being the lingering feeling that we might be on the look out for his replacement next summer.

But for now I am absolutely buzzing and growing in confidence that we can actually mount an attack on a champions league place if we can get a bit of luck with injuries.

If we could have only sorted these deals out sooner we could be 6 or more points better off but hey this simply isn't a time for negatives.

I can't wait for the Fulham game now and I think I will be having a bet on Owen for first goal and the Toon to win 4-0.  That is the confidence that I am feeling and I think the rest of the fans and the players will all be feeling the same.  The atmosphere against Fulham will be the best in a hell of a long time and I for one look forward to savouring it.

24265[/snapback]

DK, you are getting carried away. We've still got Souness as manager, Owen isn't going to single-handedly transform our team into top 4 contenders. The atmosphere will be great at Fulham to begin with, but to be honest it might go pretty flat if we perform like we did in the second half against ManU.

If we want champions league football next year, we have to change managers NOW. Souness is incapable of managing a top 4 side, no matter who we have as players, I am more certain of that than anything else in the world. Also, you seem to be forgetting that our squad is still paper thin, and our defence is far from alright. A few injuries and we are still in the shit mate.

I can honestly say that I am just as excited as when we signed Shearer.  I was up in the air all day yesterday and totally unable to concentrate on anything I was doing (I even found myself watching SSN at four this morning while I feed the baby).I was so nervous yesterday that something would go wrong that I didn't post any messages but I am finally believing that this will actually happen.

I can't wait for the Fulham game now and I think I will be having a bet on Owen for first goal and the Toon to win 4-0.  That is the confidence that I am feeling and I think the rest of the fans and the players will all be feeling the same.  The atmosphere against Fulham will be the best in a hell of a long time and I for one look forward to savouring it.

24265[/snapback]

DK, you are getting carried away. We've still got Souness as manager, Owen isn't going to single-handedly transform our team into top 4 contenders. The atmosphere will be great at Fulham to begin with, but to be honest it might go pretty flat if we perform like we did in the second half against ManU.

If we want champions league football next year, we have to change managers NOW. Souness is incapable of managing a top 4 side, no matter who we have as players, I am more certain of that than anything else in the world. Also, you seem to be forgetting that our squad is still paper thin, and our defence is far from alright. A few injuries and we are still in the shit mate.

24319[/snapback]

He's not getting carried away, he just had a head start on you in the sense that he wasn't manically depressed to begin with. This has allowed him to reach higher on the mood swing-ometer than you. :fuk:

24265[/snapback]

24319[/snapback]

He's not getting carried away, he just had a head start on you in the sense that he wasn't manically depressed to begin with. This has allowed him to reach higher on the mood swing-ometer than you. :fuk:

24326[/snapback]

He's getting carried away if he thinks we are going to get in the top 4.

As for me, I feel the best I have about the club for ages. Soon Souness will be gone and the only way is up. Throw a defeat of the mackems into the equation, followed by their relegation, a couple of cup runs, and yeah, life is pretty sweet! :razz:

24265[/snapback]

24319[/snapback]

24326[/snapback]

As for me, I feel the best I have about the club for ages. Soon Souness will be gone and the only way is up. Throw a defeat of the mackems into the equation, followed by their relegation, a couple of cup runs, and yeah, life is pretty sweet! :P

24339[/snapback]

I feel like we're really making progress with these therapy sessions.

:razz:

24265[/snapback]

24319[/snapback]

24326[/snapback]

As for me, I feel the best I have about the club for ages. Soon Souness will be gone and the only way is up. Throw a defeat of the mackems into the equation, followed by their relegation, a couple of cup runs, and yeah, life is pretty sweet! B)

24339[/snapback]

I feel like we're really making progress with these therapy sessions.

:razz:

24343[/snapback]

They just have doubled his medication. :P

I admit I am working on the basis that Souness is able to suitably manage the players at his disposal (and considering my opinion of him as a manager I am certainly being optimistic).

But I still think we have a team which is at least as good as the one that finished 3rd (after all that team did include O'Brien!) and if we do bring Solano back we will have a squad that messures up favourably to any that we have ever had.

I'd certainly prefer we had at least cover at fullback and left wing but in every other position we have quite a bit of quality.

I have been as miserable as anyone recently but I have taken many positives from the way we have played when we had pretty much our full squad available. Then we just last that pace and movement up front (something that Owen, Luque and Dyer can easily provide).

I'm not saying that we will overnight become contenders because of one player but I see nothing in Liverpool, Spurs, Bolton, Everton, Boro, Citeh or Charlton that makes me beleive we can't overtake them as long as Souness is even half way competent. I know that's a big if but somehow it no longer seems impossible. If the fat bastard can come up with the goods then why not Souness?

I'm also not that excited for some reason (but happy), maybe because we overpaid for him, and we desperately need to strengthen other areas as well. :fuk:

24360[/snapback]

Liverpool sold him for 8m cos he was in the last year of his contract. If you look at the money that changes hands for top top strikers, we didn't get a bargain, but we certainly didn't overpay to the extent that's being suggested - most people are comparing what we paid to what Real paid and that's not a realistic comparison.

I'm also not that excited for some reason (but happy), maybe because we overpaid for him, and we desperately need to strengthen other areas as well. :fuk:

24360[/snapback]

Liverpool sold him for 8m cos he was in the last year of his contract. If you look at the money that changes hands for top top strikers, we didn't get a bargain, but we certainly didn't overpay to the extent that's being suggested - most people are comparing what we paid to what Real paid and that's not a realistic comparison.

24390[/snapback]

no, Owen is a player that I don't rate at 16m.

But I hope his goals and merchandise will compensate for that.

Edited by Omar

24360[/snapback]

24390[/snapback]

24391[/snapback]

Is Essien worth anywhere near £26m? Current market trends.

I'm also not that excited for some reason (but happy), maybe because we overpaid for him, and we desperately need to strengthen other areas as well. :razz:

24360[/snapback]

24390[/snapback]

Agreed.

My God this medication is amazing! :fuk:

I'm also not that excited for some reason (but happy), maybe because we overpaid for him, and we desperately need to strengthen other areas as well. :razz:

24360[/snapback]

24390[/snapback]

24391[/snapback]

Is Essien worth anywhere near £26m? Current market trends.

24397[/snapback]

nope, but im not too bothered by that.....it's not our bussines. :fuk:

Owen left Liverpool for £8m.

A year later Crouch goes to Liverpool for £7.5m

Owen comes to us for £16m - he is only 25, is England's first-choice striker, he scores goals.

Maybe we paid around 3 to 4 million too much, but I couldn't give a shite. You get what you pay for.

Excited? You could hang a soaking duffel coat on it!!!!!!!

Still not convinced that Souness will be able to do any good though with all these good players mind.

24391[/snapback]

Crouch 7m

Owen 16m

Essien 26m

How much would you pay for him and on what basis? Did we pay too much for Shearer? Could Owen have the same impact?

If he scores 80 goals in 4 seasons how much is that worth to us. I think too many are believing the media hype so I'd like to hear the thought process that went into you deciding the value of this footballer to our club.

I have no confidence in Souness as a manager, we have a better squad than the likes of Charlton but somehow Curbishely manages to get further up the table than us, Souness is dreadful no matter how many good players he buys!

Secondly as was seen against Man U and Bolton:

1. We pick up a couple of injuries, we struggle and have a real lack of depth in the squad with a distinct lack of pace and quality.

2. Our defence is not good enough, yes, in my opinion even the first 4 aint good enough (Bolton goals as a classic example) let alone the cover which is distinctly thin. One injury to Babyaro and we are screwed!

Anyone who thinks the defence is good enough is living in cloud cuckoo land.

It is fine to be happy that we have signed Owen, fantastic, that should sort out to a degree our striking options, it doesn't sort out the other issues still present that existed pre-owen.

Edited by Slugsy

24391[/snapback]

Crouch 7m

Owen 16m

Essien 26m

How much would you pay for him and on what basis? Did we pay too much for Shearer? Could Owen have the same impact?

If he scores 80 goals in 4 seasons how much is that worth to us. I think too many are believing the media hype so I'd like to hear the thought process that went into you deciding the value of this footballer to our club.

24406[/snapback]

Errr i don't think Owen is worth that much! Like it or lump it, mate! I don't care how much other clubs spend! Madrid signed him for 8m, then one season later....he's worth 16 million! How and why?! He had a pretty good season at Real, but not that good!

I'm happy that he's here, and if he starts performing, the price we paid for him will not bother me one bit!

24391[/snapback]

Crouch 7m

Owen 16m

Essien 26m

24406[/snapback]

Errr i don't think Owen is worth that much! Like it or lump it, mate! I don't care how much other clubs spend! Madrid signed him for 8m, then one season later....he's worth 16 million! How and why?! He had a pretty good season at Real, but not that good!

I'm happy that he's here, and if he starts performing, the price we paid for him will not bother me one bit!

24413[/snapback]

When he moved last year he was in the final year of his contract and it was unsure if he signed a new one at Liverpool. Now he was on a long term contract and Real weren't exactly in the need to sell him. Liverpool also got a player together with the money (ok he wasn't even worth a pound in hindsight).

I already said ahead of the deal that I am a bit scared about the money as well. Together with his huge wages he is an extremely expensive signing. But we all need that it will be very difficult for the player who will have to fill Shearer's boots. The player will face loads of expectations. Owen is one of the few players who most likely will be able to handle the pressure.

24391[/snapback]

Crouch 7m

Owen 16m

Essien 26m

24406[/snapback]

24413[/snapback]

And Gemill already said to you: "Liverpool sold him for 8m cos he was in the last year of his contract. If you look at the money that changes hands for top top strikers, we didn't get a bargain, but we certainly didn't overpay to the extent that's being suggested - most people are comparing what we paid to what Real paid and that's not a realistic comparison."

I wanted to see if you were interested in listening to reason, you're not. I wanted to know if you had some logic behind what you were saying, you don't. I'm not interested in faith-based conclusions. You believe what you want to believe.

24391[/snapback]

Crouch 7m

Owen 16m

Essien 26m

24406[/snapback]

24413[/snapback]

As I've already said you're ignoring the fact that when Liverpool sold him they risked losing him a season later for nothing. 8 million was a discounted price. You can't compare that to what we've paid if you're trying to make a realistic assessment of his value.

Someone just compared Liverpool, Spurs etc. to us. I can't honestly see how either of those 2 teams have a better team than us.

Newcastle United :

--------------Shearer-----Owen--------------

Luque------Emre-------Parker-------Dyer

Babayaro--Boumsong--Bramble--Carr

----------------------Given-------------------

Subs :

Harper

Taylor

Milner

n'Zogbia

Ameobi

========

Liverpool :

--------------Crouch-----Cisse--------------

Riise------Alonso-------Gerrard-------Garcia

Finnan-----Hyppia-----Carragher-----Josemi

----------------------Reina-------------------

Subs :

Dudek

Traore

Hammann

Zenden

Morientes

=====

I don't honestly believe that the European Champions team is that much better.

Obviously the managers tic-tac's have to be taken into consideration.

Someone just compared Liverpool, Spurs etc. to us. I can't honestly see how either of those 2 teams have a better team than us.

Newcastle United :

--------------Shearer-----Owen--------------

Luque------Emre-------Parker-------Dyer

Babayaro--Boumsong--Bramble--Carr

----------------------Given-------------------

Subs :

Harper

Taylor

Milner

n'Zogbia

Ameobi

========

Liverpool :

--------------Crouch-----Cisse--------------

Riise------Alonso-------Gerrard-------Garcia

Finnan-----Hyppia-----Carragher-----Josemi

----------------------Reina-------------------

Subs :

Dudek

Traore

Hammann

Zenden

Morientes

=====

I don't honestly believe that the European Champions team is that much better.

Obviously the managers tic-tac's have to be taken into consideration.

24428[/snapback]

Yep, nice first team, but how many games will Emre, Babayaro and Dyer actually play this season, take them out and it looks a much more ordinary team.

Plus Souness couldn't manage a piss up in a brewery!

Edited by Slugsy