Allardyce isn't in...yet

Andrew

Well, I am not excited, but far happier than with the last two appointments.

I'd hoped for a more inspirational decision, but with the board unlikely to go for a foreign manager Allardyce was the most progressive solution available. He certainly has a lot of attributes requiered to change the setup of NUFC. I am still sceptical about his football philosophy, but I will wait and see how he adapts to the needs of Newcastle United.

And it will be interesting how far the board is going to back him in restructuring the club (if you remember them blocking the introduction of computer analysis etc. in the past).

That's exactly it, everyone's ecstatic because he's not Roeder or Souness, without assessing Fat Sam in the context of running a massive club with millions to spend.

And I'm mystified as to the rubbish being spouted about how the club is run / structured, most of it is conjecture based on dodgy press articles. I don't recall Nigel Pearson ever being a geordie or an ex player. I recall Kevin Bond had a good reputation, I wonder why he got fired?

I saw dubious tactics, unfit and/or out of form players, players who are not improving. I have seen foreigners who don't settle. Clearly all signs of a club well run...

All of which I had seen at one time or another under SBR / Keegan

Do you expect players to pull out all the stops for a manager who people were wanting sacked after 6 months? You expect foreign players to be happy in NUFC, how many managers has Emre had now? You expect players to improve when they're being to to fuck off by the fans?

Blithely blaming this malaise on the manager is daft

No, exculpating a manager from his incompetence is daft. To compare Souness and Roeder to the reigns of Keegan and Robson is just absurd - nothing else. A manager doesn't deserve to get blamed if there are indications of progress - there wasn't the slightest bit under Souness or Roeder. The club was going backwards rapidly. The manager is responsible for this. And the board.

Edited by Isegrim

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest alex

I'd hoped for a more inspirational decision, but with the board unlikely to go for a foreign manager Allardyce was the most progressive solution available. He certainly has a lot of attributes requiered to change the setup of NUFC. I am still sceptical about his football philosophy, but I will wait and see how he adapts to the needs of Newcastle United.

And it will be interesting how far the board is going to back him in restructuring the club (if you remember them blocking the introduction of computer analysis etc. in the past).

That's exactly it, everyone's ecstatic because he's not Roeder or Souness, without assessing Fat Sam in the context of running a massive club with millions to spend.

And I'm mystified as to the rubbish being spouted about how the club is run / structured, most of it is conjecture based on dodgy press articles. I don't recall Nigel Pearson ever being a geordie or an ex player. I recall Kevin Bond had a good reputation, I wonder why he got fired?

I saw dubious tactics, unfit and/or out of form players, players who are not improving. I have seen foreigners who don't settle. Clearly all signs of a club well run...

Do you expect players to pull out all the stops for a manager who people were wanting sacked after 6 months? You expect foreign players to be happy in NUFC, how many managers has Emre had now? You expect players to improve when they're being to to fuck off by the fans?

No exculpating a manager from his incompetence is daft. To compare Souness and Roeder to the reigns of Keegan and Robson is just absurd - nothing else. A manager doesn't deserve to get blamed if there are indications of progress - there wasn't the slightest bit under Souness or Roeder. The club was going backwards rapidly. The manager is responsible for this. And the board.

Exactly.

No exculpating a manager from his incompetence is daft. To compare Souness and Roeder to the reigns of Keegan and Robson is just absurd - nothing else. A manager doesn't deserve to get blamed if there are indications of progress - there wasn't the slightest bit under Souness or Roeder. The club was going backwards rapidly. The manager is responsible for this. And the board.

I'm just comparing them on the observations you stated. I guess Allardyce will get the rose tinted treatment, and excuses like injuries and it not being his team will be gladly accepted given his stellar record.

Ditto.

Guest alex

I'm just comparing them on the observations you stated. I guess Allardyce will get the rose tinted treatment, and excuses like injuries and it not being his team will be gladly accepted given his stellar record.

:lol: I think people are just pleased because we might be getting a manager with a good record whereas the one that has just left was doing a poor job, which is his trademark really.

No, Allardyce will first and foremost get judged by his actions and results as every manager before and after him. If there are indications that he is taking the club forward, then he deserves more time. Else not.

I can understand why people are against Allardyce, he's an easy man to dislike if your not supporting the team he's managing. Under him Bolton have been a physical team who don't exactly play football in a way that is a joy to watch. He wouldn't be my first choice if we had any manger in world football to pick from but quite obviously after the last two appointments the very top managers are not knocking our door down.

Allardyce does have a lot of the attributes our fans have been crying out for the last few seasons. Under him Bolton have become a team that no one likes to play against and who regularly take points of the the top four clubs. They are well organised and seem to have a good coaching set up (one that has been maintained even after senior members have left to take up managerial posts of their own). All of these things are the complete opposite of how things have been going here since Robson left (at least).

He has also managed to get the best out of the players he has had many of whom were thought to be lacking in quality orfinished before he signed them. Speed is a obvious example but also look at the likes of Kevin Davies. He went to clubs for big money and was a complete flop who looked to be heading down the divisons. At Bolton he has been transformed. Some of the players that have been and are still at the club have underperformed immensly and I don't buy claims that they aren't really good enough or that Newcastle is such a hard place to come and play because of the pressures the fans put on the players. Hopefully if Allardyce does come he might finally be able to get some performances out of the likes of Dyer, Emre, Duff and others because I do believe we still have good players here.

I have reservations about appointing someone who has only managed at smaller clubs in the past but least he has done it well for most part and showed a steady progression and hopefully he can show the same type of progression with us. Under Souness and Roeder we have gone miles backwards and I'm sure if Allardyce can show some forward movement (which is really all Robson did in his first couple of seasons) then he will be afforded the time it takes to do the job.

:lol: I think people are just pleased because we might be getting a manager with a good record whereas the one that has just left was doing a poor job, which is his trademark really.

The comparison to be made of the new manager is not Roeder or Souness. The irony of statements coming out now about wait until Sam has completely restructured the club, completely changed the team etc etc. When was the last time a manager was allowed to do that here? Was Roeder alllowed to do anything that required time to be assessed? Souness had a good record, records mean nothing.

Guest alex

The comparison to be made of the new manager is not Roeder or Souness. The irony of statements coming out now about wait until Sam has completely restructured the club, completely changed the team etc etc. When was the last time a manager was allowed to do that here? Was Roeder alllowed to do anything that required time to be assessed? Souness had a good record, records mean nothing.

Roeder's a shit manager who should never have got near the job in the first place. And I'm not so sure Souness does have a good record. Records mean nothing though :o

So where were any real indications under Roeder that the club was moving in the right direction. It was all just paper talk.

Roeder's a shit manager who should never have got near the job in the first place. And I'm not so sure Souness does have a good record. Records mean nothing though :o

Allardyce has been at one top flight club and never one a trophy. Souness had managed many top flight teams and had trophies.

Yes Roeder was shit, but why is Allardyce given accomodations that Roeder was not? Why have we basically just wasted a year? Some of the advantages to having Allardyce would have been laughed off the board a few years ago. So what is the metric to measure him by? How many places above our final position this year will be acceptable in 12 months time, given the fact that Allardyce is a proven Premiership manager?

So where were any real indications under Roeder that the club was moving in the right direction. It was all just paper talk.

Who knows where the club was going? Roeder never even got a chance to get rid of Bumble, the first manager in our history who ever wanted to.

Yes Roeder was shit, but why is Allardyce given accomodations that Roeder was not?

Because Allardyce worked well over a long spell at Bolton and took the club forward while Roeder was generally shit at every club - including Newcastle?

Who knows where the club was going? Roeder never even got a chance to get rid of Bumble, the first manager in our history who ever wanted to.

He had two transfer windows and a whole year on the training ground to work on the shortcomings in central defence.

Yes Roeder was shit, but why is Allardyce given accomodations that Roeder was not?

Because Allardyce worked well over a long spell at Bolton and took the club forward while Roeder was generally shit at every club - including Newcastle?

Have a look at his first few years at Bolton. If that had been Allardyce at Newcastle, he would have been in the same position as Roeder, out the door. If we needed a proven manager with a record that stands up, why have we gone for someone so mediocre as Allardyce? Who is actually going to be surprised if in 5 years time we haven't won anything and never got beyond a major quarter final?

Guest alex

Allardyce has been at one top flight club and never one a trophy.Souness had managed many top flight teams and had trophies.

Yes Roeder was shit, but why is Allardyce given accomodations that Roeder was not? Why have we basically just wasted a year? Some of the advantages to having Allardyce would have been laughed off the board a few years ago. So what is the metric to measure him by? How many places above our final position this year will be acceptable in 12 months time, given the fact that Allardyce is a proven Premiership manager?

Bingo!

Edited by alex

Have a look at his first few years at Bolton. If that had been Allardyce at Newcastle, he would have been in the same position as Roeder, out the door. If we needed a proven manager with a record that stands up, why have we gone for someone so mediocre as Allardyce? Who is actually going to be surprised if in 5 years time we haven't won anything and never got beyond a major quarter final?

He'll need to do fairly well here to have a chance really, he might get a bit of latitude for a lowish finish next season (although he'll have an easier run at the league without european football admittedly), but the season after I can't see anything less than top 6 allowing him to retain the job.

He had two transfer windows and a whole year on the training ground to work on the shortcomings in central defence.

And the only solution appears to have been buy Sol Campbell. Wow, reach for the stars there then. And improve Bramble on the training ground? Come off it. That's how we are judging new managers now is it - performance in one window? Have a look at the performance of the other managers who got more than a year to piss the money away.

Have a look at his first few years at Bolton. If that had been Allardyce at Newcastle, he would have been in the same position as Roeder, out the door. I

Taking over the club at the bottom half of the table and lead them to the playoffs and the FA Cup semi final in the first year, winning promotion in his second season? Clearly no progress at all...

:lol:

Allardyce has been at one top flight club and never one a trophy.Souness had managed many top flight teams and had trophies.

Bingo!

Fantastic. So let's appoint anyone that was free.

Guest alex

Have a look at his first few years at Bolton. If that had been Allardyce at Newcastle, he would have been in the same position as Roeder, out the door. I

Taking over the club at the bottom half of the table and lead them to the playoffs and the FA Cup semi final in the first year, winning promotion in his second season? Clearly no progress at all...

:o

:lol: