So who was 'pleasantly surprised'?

Craig

With Shearer having played a big role in attracting many of our signings it could be argued his staying on at the club was the best signing for us.

26068[/snapback]

I agree, not quite the bad influence and "cancer at the club" that some people claimed he is :lol:

26077[/snapback]

I'm beginning to believe that Souness was brought in deliberately to hold the reins while Shearer prepared to take over. He's been heavily involved in 2 massive transfers this summer and it's all experience.

Perhaps his 'staying on' was more a case that things weren't ready fo him to take over? :lol:

26105[/snapback]

I'd be amazed if shearer wasnt the next gaffer, but am i alone in wishing this doesnt happen so soon? I want it to work so much, want us to win something with shearer as our manager that im dreading it all going tits up because its too soon for Shearer. Id rather he went to a lower league club for a couple of seasons first. Purely to gain some experience. Yes, the media would focus on him anyway because of who he is, but imagine him being under the spotlight at the Toon, the pressure would be immense. I just cannot bear to think of it not working out and BigAl, our legend having to leave under a cloud :icon_lol:

26123[/snapback]

Can't see Shearer going to a lower league club. He will want this job and, some day, he will get it.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

With Shearer having played a big role in attracting many of our signings it could be argued his staying on at the club was the best signing for us.

26068[/snapback]

I agree, not quite the bad influence and "cancer at the club" that some people claimed he is :lol:

26077[/snapback]

I'm beginning to believe that Souness was brought in deliberately to hold the reins while Shearer prepared to take over. He's been heavily involved in 2 massive transfers this summer and it's all experience.

Perhaps his 'staying on' was more a case that things weren't ready fo him to take over? :lol:

26105[/snapback]

I'd be amazed if shearer wasnt the next gaffer, but am i alone in wishing this doesnt happen so soon? I want it to work so much, want us to win something with shearer as our manager that im dreading it all going tits up because its too soon for Shearer. Id rather he went to a lower league club for a couple of seasons first. Purely to gain some experience. Yes, the media would focus on him anyway because of who he is, but imagine him being under the spotlight at the Toon, the pressure would be immense. I just cannot bear to think of it not working out and BigAl, our legend having to leave under a cloud :icon_lol:

26123[/snapback]

Can't see Shearer going to a lower league club. He will want this job and, some day, he will get it.

26127[/snapback]

Yes i know he is destined for it and is being groomed for it.......but its such a MASSIVE job to step right into.

Edited by Toonraider

Shearer has Derren Brown style mind powers, and can convince anyone to join us.

26108[/snapback]

"Look into my eyes, the eyes, the eyes, don't look around the eyes......"

0186_mattlucas.jpg

26119[/snapback]

Ollie Bernard: "Dont' push it."

souness asked for five 'top men' and two squad players and the fat controller has delivered. i'm speechless to be honest.

there are no excuses for souness now. i can't imagine that he's ever been backed so well by his chairman at any other club. he has to get us back in to the top 5.

obviously it will take a while for the new team to gel, but if you look at our first team on paper we should be challenging for the title.

souness asked for five 'top men' and two squad players and the fat controller has delivered. i'm speechless to be honest.

there are no excuses for souness now. i can't imagine that he's ever been backed so well by his chairman at any other club. he has to get us back in to the top 5.

obviously it will take a while for the new team to gel, but if you look at  our first team on paper we should be challenging for the title.

26228[/snapback]

Yep. Never thought that would happen in a million years. The pair deserve credit for the players brought in, now he'll be judged with what happens on the pitch.

26068[/snapback]

That's part of the reason why I think he'd be a good manager, in that he could attract all sorts of top names to sign for him due to his reputation.

obviously it will take a while for the new team to gel, but if you look at  our first team on paper we should be challenging for the title.

26228[/snapback]

My god, what rubbish, our full backs are appalling for starters. Not to mention the inept manager.

Talk about going over the top.

Edited by Sima

26228[/snapback]

My god, what rubbish, our full backs are appalling for starters. Not to mention the inept manager.

Talk about going over the top.

26295[/snapback]

i said challenging for the title. i don't expect us to win it - remember that we were up there a couple of years ago until the final few weeks of the season with a far poorer backline.

i agree with you on the manager - he still has it all to prove - but i think our starting eleven is now as good as anyone's in the premiership. we should be able to beat anyone now on our day with a fully fit first choice eleven, including chelsea.

i think the reason we won't win anything is because of the lack of depth in our sqaud, not the quality of the first team.

i agree with you on the manager - he still has it all to prove - but i think our starting eleven is now as good as anyone's in the premiership. we should be able to beat anyone now on our day with a fully fit first choice eleven, including chelsea.

26318[/snapback]

Haway Dan, we've improved the first 11 a lot over the summer, but to say it's as good as anyone's in the Premiership isn't right. We've always been able to beat anyone on our day, but I can't agree that our first 11 is as good as Chelsea's. Not at all.

26318[/snapback]

Haway Dan, we've improved the first 11 a lot over the summer, but to say it's as good as anyone's in the Premiership isn't right. We've always been able to beat anyone on our day, but I can't agree that our first 11 is as good as Chelsea's. Not at all.

26327[/snapback]

Time will tell if it has improved since he came in. If not, meaning a european spot is the minimum, he's failed and it means he hasn't improved the team, or, he isn't good enough himself.

26318[/snapback]

26327[/snapback]

man for man, maybe not in the defence. and obviously we haven't got anywhere near their strength in depth.

i still expect us to challenge for a top 4 place with that starting eleven. souness can ask for no more from his chairman. it's time for him to prove his doubters wrong with results.

we should go to places like stamford bridge now confident that we can give them as good a game as anyone in the premierhsip.

26318[/snapback]

26327[/snapback]

man for man, maybe not in the defence. and obviously we haven't got anywhere near their strength in depth.

i still expect us to challenge for a top 4 place with that starting eleven. souness can ask for no more from his chairman. it's time for him to prove his doubters wrong with results.

we should go to places like stamford bridge now confident that we can give them as good a game as anyone in the premierhsip.

26342[/snapback]

I worry about both our full backs, but if we can sort them out on the cheap(ish) in January, then we have a very good first team. I think we should be challenging for a European spot this season - hopefully the "guaranteed for UEFA and on the outskirts but still in with a chance of CL" spot. I still think we'll be a mile behind whoever wins the title.

If we take it Liverpool will be the big rival for 4th.

Given-------Reina

Carr--------Finnan

Babayaro---Riise

Boumsong--Carragher

Taylor-------Hyypia

Solano------Garcia

Luque-------Zenden

Emre--------Alonso

Parker-------Gerrard

Owen--------Cisse

Shearer-----Morientes

Harper-------Dudek

Bramble-----Whitbread

Moore--------Josemi

Elliott---------Warnock

Bowyer------Hamann

Dyer---------Kewell

N'Zogbia----Sissoko

Ameobi-----Crouch

Chopra------Pongolle

I wouldn't say we were a million miles behind them in terms of players.

If we take it Liverpool will be the big rival for 4th.

Given-------Reina

Carr--------Finnan

Babayaro---Riise

Boumsong--Carragher

Taylor-------Hyypia

Solano------Garcia

Luque-------Zenden

Emre--------Alonso

Parker-------Gerrard

Owen--------Cisse

Shearer-----Morientes

Harper-------Dudek

Bramble-----Whitbread

Moore--------Josemi

Elliott---------Warnock

Bowyer------Hamann

Dyer---------Kewell

N'Zogbia----Sissoko

Ameobi-----Crouch

Chopra------Pongolle

I wouldn't say we were a million miles behind them in terms of players.

26352[/snapback]

How depressing.

you're probably right gemmil. i'm just feeling mindlessly optimistic  after a thoroughly depressing summer has turned on its head in 24 hours.

26350[/snapback]

Not like me to be the pessimistic one. :lol:

26358[/snapback]

Did Renton and you mix up medications? Will we see Renton posting some upbeat endorsements regarding the manager now? :lol:

you're probably right gemmil. i'm just feeling mindlessly optimistic  after a thoroughly depressing summer has turned on its head in 24 hours.

26350[/snapback]

Not like me to be the pessimistic one. :lol:

26358[/snapback]

Did Renton and you mix up medications? Will we see Renton posting some upbeat endorsements regarding the manager now? :lol:

26362[/snapback]

Even the finest heroin money can buy wouldn't get Renton doing that.

26318[/snapback]

26327[/snapback]

26342[/snapback]

I worry about both our full backs, but if we can sort them out on the cheap(ish) in January, then we have a very good first team. I think we should be challenging for a European spot this season - hopefully the "guaranteed for UEFA and on the outskirts but still in with a chance of CL" spot. I still think we'll be a mile behind whoever wins the title.

26345[/snapback]

I would say, taking a team that was 5th in the league and spending 46m quid or so on it, [over 50m if we buy the full backs you want] should demand 2nd or 3rd place, ie get much closer to the top, at least to be honest. None of this "we might still be 5th......"

26318[/snapback]

26327[/snapback]

26342[/snapback]

26345[/snapback]

I would say, taking a team that was 5th in the league and spending 46m quid or so on it, [over 50m if we buy the full backs you want] should demand 2nd or 3rd place, ie get much closer to the top, at least to be honest. None of this "we might still be 5th......"

26375[/snapback]

Aye I know you would. But that conveniently ignores the fact that at the time we were punching above our weight, benefitting from the poor performances of the other teams challenging for the same positions, and were a team on the slide. I'm not about to ignore that.

26318[/snapback]

26327[/snapback]

26342[/snapback]

26345[/snapback]

26375[/snapback]

But when we were 5th, we were still miles behind Arsenal & Man U. Chelsea are uncatchable, but I agree we should be pushing Liverpool a lot closer.