Bolton hoping to fend off Allardyce’s interest

Scottish Mag

Bolton Wanderers are hoping to ward off Sam Allardyce’s advances for Mike Forde, their highly regarded performance director. Sammy Lee, the club’s new manager, will hold discussions with Forde in the coming days to ascertain his intentions and has already offered the 31-year-old the position of general manager at the Reebok Stadium, but now faces stiff competition from Newcastle United.

Allardyce is revamping the coaching set-up at St James’ Park and is eager to sign both Forde and Mark Taylor, Bolton’s head of sports science and medicine. Tal Ben Haim, the Bolton defender who is out of contract, is a target on the playing front, as is Mark Viduka, the Middlesbrough forward whose contract expires at the end of the month.

“This summer is about recruitment and getting the best players we can for this great football club,” Allardyce said. “It’s about building day-to-day team spirit and everyone learning to trust each other and that will pay dividends in the end. I have to get the playing squad all pulling in the same direction. There could be one or two factions in the dressing-room and I have to sort that out.

“We have the players to beat any team at St James’ Park and, with the right team spirit and a few additions, I am sure that will happen over the next year.

“With the help of the fans, I want us to build something special here. Their backing is so important for us.”

Call me fickle but for the first time in ages i feel quite excited about the new season. If Roeder had mentioned the names viduka and ben haim id have groaned but you can see allardyce getting the best out of both of them.

Call me fickle but for the first time in ages i feel quite excited about the new season. If Roeder had mentioned the names viduka and ben haim id have groaned but you can see allardyce getting the best out of both of them.

Same here. I'm still waiting for actions rather than paper talk, but I'm far more optimistic than ever before of something coming out of it. Todays Journal reports about player and other staff acquiring already having started could end up in us actually even starting into pre-season in a better state than in recent years.

Why? He's quality.

Why? He's quality.

so was Duff til Roeder managed to get the best out of hm.

I've been impressed with what Allardyce has had to say since Tuesday. If he can convert his positive tones into on the pitch performances is something that remains to be seen but for the first time since SBR, I think we've appointed someone who is going to take us forwards.

For once, I agree with J69.

I've been impressed with what Allardyce has had to say since Tuesday. If he can convert his positive tones into on the pitch performances is something that remains to be seen but for the first time since SBR, I think we've appointed someone who is going to take us forwards.

I thought exactly the same when Roeder took over with his talk of restructuring, unfortunately it never came to pass under Glenn but I hope Sam has the determination to carry his words through.

I thought exactly the same when Roeder took over with his talk of restructuring, unfortunately it never came to pass under Glenn but I hope Sam has the determination to carry his words through.

He has the track record to back it up at least...

In all honesty I'll wait until we actually sign players, although I am quite looking forward to it happening in June/July as opposed to one minute to midnight on the last day of the transfer window.