Chinese whispers over Toon takeover

Scottish Mag

The Toon's strong links with China are fuelling speculation of a rival takeover bid for Newcastle United.

Rumours are rife on Tyneside today of rival bids for control at United coming from the Far East, despite billionaire Mike Ashley launching his £133.1m takeover bid last week.

And it is the Magpies' partnership with China's most successful football club, Dalian Shide, that has got most people talking.

Dalian and the Toon formed a marketing and sporting alliance in 2002 and have been close allies ever since.

City analysts believe Dalian's owner, Xu Ming - one of the China's richest men - could be about to swoop for the St James' Park club.

One City analyst said: "Newcastle United's links with China's most successful football club, Dalian Shide, are well documented.

"Interest from their owner, one of China's richest men, was always going to be likely."

Sports mogul Mr Ashley shocked the football world last week after he bought the Halls' 41.6% stake in Newcastle United for £55.3m and immediately launched a bid for the club. Mr Ashley visited St James' Park for the first time on Thursday and then paid a visit to Freddy Shepherd at the Freeman Hospital where the club's chairman is recovering from pneumonia.

Mr Ashley has offered every Toon shareholder 100p for each share he or she owns, including Mr Shepherd who owns just over 37 million shares. But were someone to come in with a higher offer than Mike Ashley's 100p a share, that would automatically scupper his bid.

Mr Ashley would have the option of coming back with an even higher offer, creating a bidding war for control of St James' Park.

However, a source close to Mr Ashley said today: "I don't think he is worried about rumours of a rival bid. He is taking everything at face value.

"But should they become more than rumours he will respond as he feels necessary.

"He has not entered into his bid to buy Newcastle United lightly.

"By the very fact that he is not a high-profile individual, he would not have put himself through the spotlight that has been cast upon him.

"He would not be doing all of this if he wasn't completely serious about taking control of the club."

Mr Ashley, 42, is the UK's 25th richest man with a personal fortune of £1.9bn.

Xu Ming, 36, is a banking and insurance tycoon and is one of China's top 15 richest men.

He also owns the most successful side in the history of Chinese football.

Dalian Shide play at the 56,000-seater Dalian People's Stadium in Dalian.

Will be interesting to see if tales in the local press are reflected in the financials on monday. Given that it's in an edition which is nearly entirely pre-prepared it does leave me wondering where these stories are coming from.

Will be interesting to see if tales in the local press are reflected in the financials on monday. Given that it's in an edition which is nearly entirely pre-prepared it does leave me wondering where these stories are coming from.

Peasepud tower, Gateshead?

I honestly believe it's absolutely bollocks.

If Ashley's offers were sent out in midweek I reckon the sale will start early next week. Not much time for a rival bid with the concurrent already holding close to the majority and a huge fraction in the hands of someone reluctant to sell.

China's 15th richest man WOW,

he must own 3 bicycles

Don't under estimate China, sooner (probably) or later we'll be 3rd world and they'll be one of the two world's superpowers (the other being India).

Peasepud tower, Gateshead?

I honestly believe it's absolutely bollocks.

If Ashley's offers were sent out in midweek I reckon the sale will start early next week. Not much time for a rival bid with the concurrent already holding close to the majority and a huge fraction in the hands of someone reluctant to sell.

:lol:

I actually did think of setting up a rival bid rumour but then realised that if any story was successful it would only prove to make things more protracted in the Ashley takeover. So I can say hand on heart (checks..yes I actually do have one) that no false rumours of takeovers will come from any pisstake of mine.