Parker not so keen to leave

Scottish Mag

Scott Parker has attempted to get out of a £7m move to West Ham United as he is reluctant to leave Newcastle United despite an increasingly difficult relationship with some of the club's fans.

But United's captain feels he is being pushed towards the exit door as new manager Sam Allardyce is desperate to sign controversial midfielder Joey Barton to replace him.

The Journal understands Parker has told Allardyce he wants to stay on Tyneside as club captain and prove his critics wrong next season. But that plea, while respected by Allardyce, has not persuaded Newcastle's manager that West Ham's offer should be turned down and the 26-year-old is expected to complete a move back to London this week.

"Scott wants to stay at Newcastle but he doesn't feel as though the club want to keep him," said a source close to the player. "He had a few problems with some sections of the club's supporters recently but he was keen to come back and prove them wrong next season rather than leave.

"He was not the only player frustrated by what happened last season and he wanted to put things right. He was the club captain and it hurt him to receive abuse from his own fans. However, Scott is not a quitter and he was excited by Sam Allardyce's arrival and what it meant for the team. But he feels the club are making it difficult for him to stay because they already have a replacement lined up."

That replacement is Barton, who should be a United player by the end of this week after informing his agent Willie McKay that St James's Park is his preferred destination when he leaves Manchester City.

Barton is one of the most controversial players in the Premiership following a series of misdemeanours on and off the pitch, but he is also one of the most effective central midfielders in the country. Allardyce is confident he can tame his wild side. Parker's sale for £500,000 more than the club paid for him two years ago will generally be welcomed by most supporters as a shrewd piece of business by Allardyce, although there will also be sadness from others at the former Chelsea player's departure.

Parker enjoyed a magnificent first season in the North-East under the manager who signed him, Graeme Souness, and his successor Glenn Roeder. But having been named as Alan Shearer's successor as skipper at the start of last season, Parker's form dipped in an injury-disrupted campaign, while the return to favour of Nicky Butt also caused some to question his right to an automatic place in the side.

That led to some unwarranted criticism of the England international which he, by his own admission, struggled to accept as he exchanged angry words with fans on more than one occasion last term.

The former Charlton prospect, though, was adamant he would not let the boo boys force him out of the club. Nevertheless, with Newcastle receptive to West Ham's sizeable offer, it looks as though he has played his last game for the club. Meanwhile, Newcastle's new owner-in-waiting Mike Ashley has reportedly contacted former Arsenal vice-chairman David Dein to ask whether he would be interested in running Newcastle United if he succeeds in his takeover bid.

Dein was booted off the Arsenal board this year following a disagreement with his fellow directors and is a close friend of Ashley, who would like to see him become Newcastle's new chief executive. The Magpies have also been linked with a move for two defenders playing in France, Lyon's 31-year-old Brazilian centre-back Claudio Cacapa and Auxerre's 29-year-old left back Jean-Sebastien Jaures.

That replacement is Barton, who should be a United player by the end of this week after informing his agent Willie McKay that St James's Park is his preferred destination when he leaves Manchester City.

I'd forgotten that turd was his agent :lol:

shame we can't keep them both. barton, dyer, butt, parker and emre is good competition for the central midfield places. i imagine his wages are too much for him not to be an automatic starter, which to be fair he shouldn't be.

shame we can't keep them both. barton, dyer, butt, parker and emre is good competition for the central midfield places. i imagine his wages are too much for him not to be an automatic starter, which to be fair he shouldn't be.

It's good competition for sure, but it's hardly fresh new and exciting is it? How many of those do you think could combine an effective partnership together? We've seen many of those 5 players look ineffective together countless times. Back to the drawing board and ship out the shit, I say.

If I was Parker, would I fuck want to go to West Ham until this Tevez thing is resolved. Sheff Utd's chairman has been on saying that he has assurances from certain people at the Premier League that if the arbitration case rules that West Ham should have had points deducted, then they WILL have points deducted, and Sheff Utd will be reinstated to the Premiership.

Now I don't see that happening but I wouldn't take a job there until it was sorted.

thats interesting about parker, im not fond of barton but if anyone can calm him down then big sam can, barton is younger and arguably better than parker. emre is good!!!!!!!!!!!