United in Joey cash wrangle

Scottish Mag

Sam Allardyce was today hoping to tie up the signing of Joey Barton from Manchester City. The England midfielder has a £5.5m clause in his contract that will trigger his release from the Eastlands club, with United so far failing to match that figure.

Newcastle have only offered a part- payment for the controversial Citizens man and initially wanted to cough up the rest of the fee in two weeks' time.

But United were looking to resolve the situation today.

And that means Scott Parker's departure from Tyneside cannot come quick enough for United, with the Magpies needing to use part of that fee, believed to be in the region of £8m, to secure Barton's services.

Parker was today undergoing a medical at West Ham after breaking off a holiday in Portugal and this could speed things up as far as the Barton deal is concerned.

City are digging their heels in and holding out for the full amount, leaving United with no alternative but to pay up front or risk losing out on the midfielder.

Barton is believed to be Allardyce's top summer target, and with the Scouser keen on staying in the north and ready for a new start, the deal makes sense for both player and manager.

Yet the pair are not in a position to begin talking personal terms until a green light is given to meet City's demands.

City are reluctant to lose Barton in terms of ability, but know it is impossible for the Huyton-born midfielder to stay after a series of misdemeanours throughout a chequered career.

Yet Allardyce is more than confident of getting the best out of Barton and getting his career back on track.

The Toon gaffer has returned from a break in France and took in Wales' stalemate with the Czech Republic at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday as he widens his net for new talent for the Magpies.

Allardyce was linked with a raid for Paris St Germain defender David Rozehnal on Saturday and the manager ran the rule over the player during the 0-0 draw.

Allardyce is hoping to tie up deals for out-of-contract stars Mark Viduka - who has still make his choice of club for next season - and Tal Ben Haim this week.

Speaking on the signing of the Manchester City ace, his namesake and former Newcastle favourite Warren Barton told the Chronicle today: "I watched Joey a lot last season, and I have to say he was one of the best players in that position during the campaign.

"If Newcastle can get him for that fee it would be a snip - he is a quality player.

"Big Sam has already helped straighten out players like Anelka and Diouf, so why can't he do the same with Joey? He helped Gary Speed extend his Premiership career to 37 and counting, and he knows how to deal with different types of players."

ANTOINE SIBIERKSI today opened talks with Wigan and could be set to join Titus Bramble at the JJB Stadium, with the defender penning a three-year deal for the Latics.

.....could be set to join Titus Bramble at the JJB Stadium, with the defender penning a three-year deal for the Latics.

... :lol:

:)

Oh dear. I assume we want to pay in two weeks because we're having to wait for the first batch of season tickets to be sold before we can make the payment on Barton. Not a good sign.

Stick it on a credit card.

Oh dear. I assume we want to pay in two weeks because we're having to wait for the first batch of season tickets to be sold before we can make the payment on Barton. Not a good sign.

He's got to go back to the police station in 2 weeks to find out if he's being charged for beating Dabo up I think.

Edited by Baggio

He's got to go back to the police station in 2 weeks to find out if he's being charged for beating Dabo up I think.

Wouldn't make any sense to delay just part of the payment for it, would it. If you are anxious about the outcome of the investigations you pay nothing or insert an escape-clause in the contract, but you do not just pay half of the fee up front and wait and see what happens to the rest.

Wouldn't make any sense to delay just part of the payment for it, would it. If you are anxious about the outcome of the investigations you pay nothing or insert an escape-clause in the contract, but you do not just pay half of the fee up front and wait and see what happens to the rest.

It ties in with all of the "Get out of jail" clauses being spoken about in this mornings papers and on SSN earlier, if he gets charged then we delay paying any more of the transfer fee until it's sorted.

I just wonder if another reason for the hold up could be because of the takeover. We have no cash in the bank now and maybe the bank will not give a loan with the future ownership of the club up in the air at the moment?

I could be talking bollocks as usual though :lol:

It ties in with all of the "Get out of jail" clauses being spoken about in this mornings papers and on SSN earlier, if he gets charged then we delay paying any more of the transfer fee until it's sorted.

And what effect would the delay have then?

£2.5 million up front with the rest to follow when his future concerning the incident with Dabo is clear, if he doesn't get charged when he goes back to the police station we pay the rest, if he does then we pay the rest when his future is clear. You can't blame the club not wanting to fork out £5.5 million up front only for the player to get locked up.

Why do you think it is then?

£2.5 million up front with the rest to follow when his future concerning the incident with Dabo is clear, if he doesn't get charged when he goes back to the police station we pay the rest, if he does then we pay the rest when his future is clear. You can't blame the club not wanting to fork out £5.5 million up front only for the player to get locked up.

Why do you think it is then?

Again, what effect would delaying the payment have then? I still fail to see your reason. Newcastle will have to pay the 5.5m anyway. Or nothing, if they trigger the escape clause in case of Barton getting convicted. Splitting it is in that respect without effect. The sum therefore is totally independent from the criminal charges and paying now or later won't change anything.

Normally if you delay a payment it is either because you want to force the other side in doing something before giving them the whole money. But what can Man City do? They only could put pressure on Dabo to clear Barton. I'd consider that kind of intention or agreement legally null and void though. The case is out of Man City's hands and down to the police and prosecution anyway. Another reason to delay payments is if you fear that you won't get your money back in case of rescission of the contract. Man City's finances might not be the best, but with a pending take over there, that kind of security doesn't look necessary to me.

Though, the normal scenario for delay in paying, i.e paying in instalments is that you don't have the necessary amount of cash or are short of cash.