La Liga Finale

Tooj

But what a brilliant night to be a football fan. The last game of the season in arguably the best league in the world and the league championship goes down to the last 20 minutes? BRILLIANT STUFF.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed. Same as the Premiership is arguably the best league in the world. The quality of football is highly superior in La Liga IMO. It all depends on ones defnition of "best".

Whats with the Beckham jizz fest?

Need him to win to see what new trend seeing hairstyle will be in chav fashion next year, I'm betting on the tonsured monk cut myself.

Indeed. Same as the Premiership is arguably the best league in the world. The quality of football is highly superior in La Liga IMO. It all depends on ones defnition of "best".

EPL is way short of the best League. Even the good teams have a shocking inability to string more than 5 passes together sometimes. When I watch our league I wonder why it has so much hype.

EPL is way short of the best League. Even the good teams have a shocking inability to string more than 5 passes together sometimes. When I watch our league I wonder why it has so much hype.

£££

When I watch Premierleague games i wonder how most people in France or Italy can even like football.

I'm not a big Beckham fan but I really admire the way he comes back from adversity. A few months ago he was facing the end of his career, excluded from the England squad and told he'd never again play for Real but a few months later he's back in the England team and provided assists and just won the league with Real deperate to hold onto him. It really is Roy of the Rovers stuff and while he could've said "fuck it" and went to America to pick up his money he instead put his head down, worked as hard as he could and is now reaping the rewards.

Off the pitch many may question his hype and motives but on the pitch he has had to work for and earn all the plaudits that have come his way and fair play to him.

Edited by ewerk

I'm not a big Beckham fan but I really admire the way he comes back from adversity. A few months ago he was facing the end of his career, excluded from the England squad and told he'd never again play for Real but a few months later he's back in the England team and provided assists and just won the league with Real deperate to hold onto him. It really is Roy of the Rovers stuff and while he could've said "fuck it" and went to America to pick up his money he instead put his head down, worked as hard as he could and is now reaping the rewards.

Off the pitch many may question his hype and motives but on the pitch he has had to work for and earn all the plaudits that have come his way and fair play to him.

I don't agree with thia bit. I bpersonally feel he has been given too many plaudits and is the most overhyped player in the history of the game. He is a one trick pony who would be easy to nullify in games if the correct tactics are use. And this has happened on many an occasion.

I don't agree with thia bit. I bpersonally feel he has been given too many plaudits and is the most overhyped player in the history of the game. He is a one trick pony who would be easy to nullify in games if the correct tactics are use. And this has happened on many an occasion.

If Beckham was that easy to nullify, he wouldn't have had the career he's had, would he? I think you're talking bollocks tbh. The lad is class and he keeps on proving it as ewerk says.

I listened to a Sven interview a while back where he was on about Beckham's move to Real and how he'd spoken to the people at the club when they signed him, and the feeling was that they were getting a playboy who would shift a lot of shirts and make the club a lot of money. A year or so later he talked to the same people and they said they couldn't believe how professional the lad was, how hard he worked, and how focussed he was on his football - the most professional player at the club, supposedly.

I think he gets a lot of stick cos he's basically a good looking lad who happens to be loaded, and gets overexposed in the press.

Beckham is quality.

And fair play to him for the professionalism he has shown this season. After being made a scapegoat for Englands shite performances at the World Cup and then Capello trying to humiliate him he was the bigger man and returned to the England team and the Real team with some canny performances when many others would probably have told Capello and McClaren to fuck off.

I agree that he gets much of his stick down to who he is rather than what he does on the park. A good few years back when he first came into the Man United team I thought he was just an another overhyped pretty boy but his performances on the park proved to me that he was different class.

Beckham is a good player, but he often had long spells where the criticism he faced was totally warranted. He deserves credit for being able to come back by hard work, but it has been too often that a couple of good games made people forget how poor he had been before.

Edited by Isegrim

Sorry but that's just not true.

He's a good player and generally does put in the work on and off the pitch to help that, BUT if you divorced him from his off field fame he'd have been a vaguely well known player that had won a bit but hardly set the world on fire.

Without his non-football fame he'd have nothing like the jizzfest he gets (he ain't that good, outside set pieces).

I mean do you really think his proposed Knighthood is about footballing achievements? Or Blair trying to tag onto his off-field cult of celebratory?

Right, so do you reckon he's held down a starting poisition for Man U, Real Madrid and England for so long purely because of who his wife is? I agree that his off-pitch life has greatly increased the hype around him but ignoring that he is still a very good player.

Basically all he has is a right foot but it's a very fucking good right foot and he makes the best out of it through his application and hard work in every game. Beckham managed to survive the cull of the galacticos because he was about more than a bit of skill and a lot of hype, he put in a lot of hard graft as well. I think the fact that he has got as far as he has without being naturally blessed is a testament to the guy, he's had to work hard and improve his game and no doubt has spent countless hours practising crosses and freekicks because at the end of the day that's what he does. It mightn't be as pretty as watching Zidane or Ronaldinho but it's effective.

Right, so do you reckon he's held down a starting poisition for Man U, Real Madrid and England for so long purely because of who his wife is?

Nope he's a good footballer with a very good right foot and great at set pieces.... although it's arguable RM wouldn't have been so interested if they didn't get the Beckham Brand along with the player.

I agree that his off-pitch life has greatly increased the hype around him but ignoring that he is still a very good player.

Aye but not exceptional (that is there's many MUCH better players that don't have anything like the fame or adoration), if you removed his set piece ability maybe not even all that good, certainly now that what pace he had has largely gone.

Basically all he has is a right foot but it's a very fucking good right foot and he makes the best out of it through his application and hard work in every game. Beckham managed to survive the cull of the galacticos because he was about more than a bit of skill and a lot of hype, he put in a lot of hard graft as well. I think the fact that he has got as far as he has without being naturally blessed is a testament to the guy, he's had to work hard and improve his game and no doubt has spent countless hours practising crosses and freekicks because at the end of the day that's what he does. It mightn't be as pretty as watching Zidane or Ronaldinho but it's effective.

I think he deserves all the praise he gets for developing his right foot like that, and for when he never gives up (but that comes and goes, for England for example he has on occasion almost singlehandedly carried games when the rest just couldn't be arsed, but equally he's just not been arsed on many later occasions as well it's not like he never gives up, he does that as well).

But he's nothing like the player his fame suggests, you ask a lot of people who he is and you get "the greatest soccer player in the world".... er no, not even the greatest playing, maybe in the greatest top 10 currently playing.... and that is all to do with his off field fame.

I don't think I've ever seen him "not arsed" or "give up" for England. I've seen him play poorly, and I've seen him play when he clearly wasn't fit, but I've never seen him shirk.

I don't think I've ever seen him "not arsed" or "give up" for England. I've seen him play poorly, and I've seen him play when he clearly wasn't fit, but I've never seen him shirk.

He bottled a tackle that led to Brazil's winner in 2002 iirc. I know he wasn't fit but it was a fairly soft one to jump out of.

He bottled a tackle that led to Brazil's winner in 2002 iirc. I know he wasn't fit but it was a fairly soft one to jump out of.

Playing with a barely healed broken metatarsal, I put that down to not being fit.

By the way, I also think that incident is one of those scapegoating things that England fans like to do. Like the wankers that say it was Shearer's fault we didn't beat Argentina because he fouled the keeper when Sol Campbell scored. The Beckham incident was on the halfway line or something, yeah he jumped out of the tackle, but there's plenty could and should have happened after that point to stop them scoring.

He hasn't sat down and gone to sleep no, but yes he's definitely has had many games where he's not "given everything" and "never given up", irrespective of injury.

In fact you can see it decline through his time as England Captain.

Ironically he almost always plays best after being written off in one way or another.

That's the only reason he did bottle that tackle imo. Pleased for him last night although I don't really like Real Madrid.

He hasn't sat down and gone to sleep no, but yes he's definitely has had many games where he's not "given everything" and "never given up", irrespective of injury.

In fact you can see it decline through his time as England Captain.

Ironically he almost always plays best after being written off in one way or another.

Nah, always works his bollocks off imo. Had poor games but his attitude is unquestionable.

Edited by alex

By the way, I also think that incident is one of those scapegoating things that England fans like to do. Like the wankers that say it was Shearer's fault we didn't beat Argentina because he fouled the keeper when Sol Campbell scored. The Beckham incident was on the halfway line or something, yeah he jumped out of the tackle, but there's plenty could and should have happened after that point to stop them scoring.

I agree. But he bottled out of a fairly soft tackle, which was my original point.