How long?

snakehips

I'm feeling fairly depressed at the moment about NUFC and the fact that Allardyce seems to have a big rebuilding programme to undertake.

So, people, how long are you prepared to give Allardyce and where would you realistically accept us finishing next season?

I feel comfortable with Allardyce and believe that he will be able to turn this juggernaut round - given time. I would be happy (as one can be happy) with finishing top 10 next season. Obviously further up the table would be nice, but he has a big job on his hands and I think he will need all the time he can get.

I'm asking this question because we Newcastle supporters are quick to moan about the manager if things aren't going to our liking, but surely the vast majority of us believe that this team needs one hell of a lot of work done to it and it is surely going to need time given to the manager to do this.

So?

I'll give allardyce the rest of his career as long as we improve over every season obviously making allowances as we get into the more competetive spots, but I'll always be happy with generally improving whatever it takes to get it done

The last thing we should expect is overnight success, thanks to Shepherd/Souness/Roeder we are in a shit state that will take time to improve, with Allardyce's management and Ashley's money I believe we will be challenging for silverwear in the future, but not anytime soon.

I reckon he will do a great job rebuilding the team, I reckon we could make it somewhere near the top 5

:lol: I like your faith.

But what place would you accept, without berating the manager and calling for his head??

I reckon he will do a great job rebuilding the team, I reckon we could make it somewhere near the top 5

But what place would you accept, without berating the manager and calling for his head??

probably 6th maybes

probably 6th maybes

Okay, if that is what you want/expect, then I'm glad you have been honest.

What I started this thread for was to see what people's ambitions/expectations were for next season - thus giving an indication of how they think things are at the moment at the club and how things will progress.

come to think of it I'd love it if we won anything, carling cup for instance, in the next 3 years or so, I'm fucking sick of "newcastle are a big club but haven't won anything for x years"

come to think of it I'd love it if we won anything, carling cup for instance, in the next 3 years or so, I'm fucking sick of "newcastle are a big club but haven't won anything for x years"

We would all like to win a cup. But that isn't going to be a gauge on how we are progressing as a team. Allardyce has to get a complete new back four imo (coupled with using Taylor and continuing his education) and that back four will have to get used to Shay and vice versa. The whole back four business is going to be one hell of a task to accomplish in a short space of time.

We would all like to win a cup. But that isn't going to be a gauge on how we are progressing as a team. Allardyce has to get a complete new back four imo (coupled with using Taylor and continuing his education) and that back four will have to get used to Shay and vice versa. The whole back four business is going to be one hell of a task to accomplish in a short space of time.

Oh I know all that (see my first post in the thread) I'm just really tired of us being reffered to as the team with no silverware, it's not something I want above all else just something that would really be the icing on the cake

Getting a decent sized squad with strength in depth would be a start.

any hope of a league campaign resulting in uefa cup qualification AND competing in 2 domestic cup competitions rests on that.

Once the squad is up to scratch then we can see how far we can go.

I think the target has to be top 6 and European qualification. But it depends how the season is going. If the team is progressing but missing out because other teams simply have better seasons then even worse final position can be acceptable. It's rather like with Robson's first season where it is foremost about the club moving in the right direction again.

It's quite strange you say this actually, as I cant remember the last time we went into a season where I've been this optimistic.

I was lying in bed thinking about this last night and trying to decide how worried I actually am.

The fact that we need a whole new back four is worrying imo.

Then I started to think about when Keegan had his first full season in charge. He had bought Killer Kilcline towards the end of the previous season so he was not exactly an 'old hand'. Then he bought Beresford and Venison so our back four at the start of the new season was pretty much in the same position as ours will be this season i.e. not too familiar with each other. So, I came to the scary thought that maybe, just maybe, things could well be surprisingly good......

Apologies if my timings of the signings of Kilcline, Beresford and Venison are all to cock :lol:

Difficult to say. If we finished 9th/10th I'd be disappointed but probably just about accept it. Top 8 would be good, and top 6 would be fantastic. I'm mainly hoping to see the real signs of improvement in 2-3 years, so could accept a slight let down in the first year, given how much needs to be done.

Bottom half and I'd be livid.

The thing is that next to the big top four you have a couple of clubs who thanks to new ownership all have the potential to have a good season as well. Tottenham have progressed in recent years. Villa have the first real full season under Lerner, West Ham have grossly underperformed last season, it remains to be seen what happens at Man City. Everton have been fairly solid in recent seasons as well. And there are normally one or two surprise teams who are having a good season (Bolton, Wigan, Reading etc.).

I don't think it's as easy (on paper) to break into the top six as it has probably been a couple of years ago, so missing out is not necessarily a failure imho.

I agree. You could even add Pompey to the list of teams who could be top half and do well; they had a good year last season and have added Distin and spent a lot of money on this Muntari.