Smokers suck

Kevin Carr's Gloves

I want all cars to be powered by a non polluting fuel.

Probably impossible, even purely in carbon neutral context maybe, but certainly in the no harmful emissions context (which is a wide one I grant you).

I also want public transport to be improved so it is a more viable option.

Probably impossible but not for the same reason, more an expense versus will one.

I also would like the introduction of real enforced cycle routes to stop cyclists being nearly killed by idiot drivers.

Be a good idea, but it would require MASSIVE energy investment and cash investment in a proper network. It would also help if global warming could make the weather a bit more clement for it (which it can't in the end even if I were being serious).

If you looked at the thread start you would see that the thread is about smokers who believe the ban is an infringement of their rights without taking into account the rights of others. Thus enforcing my personal opinion that some smokers are the most selfish people in the world.

No more than people going out to get pissed though really.

Some thing have no viable solutions, some have but you have to wonder about the methods and reasons for going there.

• Replies 561
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Among the general drinking public is the desire to ban smoking as strong as the desire to retain the right to have a pint and a fag?

I don't think so, if the public really demanded smoke free bars then why hasn't the market catered to this demand through more pubs going smoke free voluntarily? Surely if the ban really had the public's support then these smoke free establishments would already exist?

But these pubs were popular. Also the reaction of the smoking NAZI's would put anyone off. And lastly if you live in Ireland what has it got to do with you?

Among the general drinking public is the desire to ban smoking as strong as the desire to retain the right to have a pint and a fag?

I don't think so, if the public really demanded smoke free bars then why hasn't the market catered to this demand through more pubs going smoke free voluntarily? Surely if the ban really had the public's support then these smoke free establishments would already exist?

But these pubs were popular. Also the reaction of the smoking NAZI's would put anyone off. And lastly if you live in Ireland what has it got to do with you?

Actually I'm kinda interested in whether a kinda reverse gas mask (which you could smoking inside but nothing got out) would be legal.

And if not why not?

Actually I'm kinda interested in whether a kinda reverse gas mask (which you could smoking inside but nothing got out) would be legal.

And if not why not?

Patent one.

So you're saying that smoke free bars are already popular? Great! Then there's no need for a smoking ban as people who are put off by smoke are already catered for.

And because I live in Ireland I'm not allowed to have an opinion on the matter? You recently posted an article regarding a united Ireland, what the fuck has that got to do with you?

I love the way some smokers like to blame everyone else but themselves :outahere:

"Why should I give up my filthy habit that affects other people, they should just fuck off elsewhere"

Yeah, that seems fair! :lol:

I love the way some smokers like to blame everyone else but themselves :outahere:

"Why should I give up my filthy habit that affects other people, they should just fuck off elsewhere"

Yeah, that seems fair! :lol:

I'm no longer a smoker, I gave up when the smoking ban came into effect here but I'm still against the ban in principle.

My problem with it is it is a case of legislation going too far, no one is forced to go into or to work in a pub. If the demand from the public for smoke-free bars was really so strong then more bars would have voluntarily banned smoking or expanded smoke free areas.

What if people actually want to work in a bar but don't want to have to put up with the smoke and potential health problems? Fuck them, they know the risks... Doesn't seem fair to me.

What if people actually want to work in a bar but don't want to have to put up with the smoke and potential health problems? Fuck them, they know the risks... Doesn't seem fair to me.

Well why can't they find a job in a supermarket, restaurant or any other sort of non-smokey environment, working in a bar is hardly a vocation.

Well why can't they find a job in a supermarket, restaurant or any other sort of non-smokey environment, working in a bar is hardly a vocation.

why should they?

So THEY should have to find somewhere else to work because of what others choose to do OR the smokers could go and smoke outside... Nah definitely seems more fair to make someone who possibly enjoys their job to go and find a different vocation, something they might not wont enjoy as much so someone can enjoy their filthy habit. :lol:

Edited by Gejon

Why shouldn't they? They are fully aware of the risks and conditions involved, fuck me why can't people be allowed to make decisions for themselves? It's part and parcel of bar work.

So THEY should have to find somewhere else to work because of what others choice to do OR the smokers could go and smoke outside... Nah definitely seems more fair to make someone who possibly enjoys their job to go and find a different vocation, something they might not wont enjoy as much so someone can enjoy their filthy habit. :lol:

As I said in my last post, it's part and parcel of the job. If they don't like it then don't work in a bar, it's not fucking rocket science. People talk of bar work as if it's impossible to find another job in different conditions.

Why shouldn't they? They are fully aware of the risks and conditions involved, fuck me why can't people be allowed to make decisions for themselves? It's part and parcel of bar work.

Why can't smokers just fuck off outside and have their much needed fag?

Maybe people like the idea of barwork, the banter with customers, not stacking shelves all day, sitting behind a desk or sitting on a till for 7 hours a day. But if they wish to do this job they should have to put up with someone elses habit because they knew about it before they took the job?

I don't think its fair.

Also from a selfish* point of view, I am also very happy I wont have to put up with smoke aswell. I will be able to go out and come home not stinking of fags.

*I say selfish but then its not me who has the habit that infringes on others.

So THEY should have to find somewhere else to work because of what others choice to do OR the smokers could go and smoke outside... Nah definitely seems more fair to make someone who possibly enjoys their job to go and find a different vocation, something they might not wont enjoy as much so someone can enjoy their filthy habit. :lol:

As I said in my last post, it's part and parcel of the job. If they don't like it then don't work in a bar, it's not fucking rocket science. People talk of bar work as if it's impossible to find another job in different conditions.

pulling pints and cleaning tables is part and parcel of the job, inhaling smoke isn't

why exactly do you think you don't have to put up with smoke if you work in Tescos or an office? it's not rocket science

Brainwashed? <_<

I love the way that these discussions always go, the two people who have actually been brainwashed by the "conspiracy brigade" are the ones that then accuse the rest of it. It doesnt take a genius or a doctor to see that putting carcinogenic chemicals into an enclosed space is not good for anyone in that room.

To see the effects go into any pub and look at the walls. If it can do that to paintwork then I dread to imagine lungs. I dont ever want to see a picture of my lungs seeing as Im an ex smoker, if however I had never smoked one in my life and then found they were fucked I wouldnt be very chuffed to say the least.

That's almost a rant....Must try harder. :lol:

If you're worried about carcinogens I suggest you stop living. You're surronded by them unless you live in Hawai. <_<

Run Fop!! We've run into a clique of interior decorators, clothes horses and beauticians. :outahere:

I go back to my view of you on N-O.

You really are a cock :drinks:

Maybe people like the idea of barwork, the banter with customers, not stacking shelves all day, sitting behind a desk or sitting on a till for 7 hours a day. But if they wish to do this job they should have to put up with someone elses habit because they knew about it before they took the job?

Well that's the way it has been for as long as pubs and tobacco has been around, as I said there are plenty of jobs with risks involved, no one has the right to have their 100% ideal job.

Also from a selfish* point of view, I am also very happy I wont have to put up with smoke aswell. I will be able to go out and come home not stinking of fags.

As I already said, if there was such a demand for smoke-free bars then this would have been corrected by the free market and there would be more of them around.

Well that's the way it has been for as long as pubs and tobacco has been around, as I said there are plenty of jobs with risks involved, no one has the right to have their 100% ideal job.

As I already said, if there was such a demand for smoke-free bars then this would have been corrected by the free market and there would be more of them around.

what are these other jobs where the risk is not related to the job at hand and nothing is done to reduce it?

It used to be ok (well a little more acceptable) to call a black person a "nigger", things change.

In this day and age I don't see what the problem is with making the workplace a more comfortable place to work, especially if it is a measure that is also going to have a positive effect on someones health.

I think its arrogant to expect people to go and work somewhere else if the job they enjoy doing (and want to do) can cause health problems.

Is it really THAT difficult for a smoker to go outside?

what are these other jobs where the risk is not related to the job at hand and nothing is done to reduce it?

If I want to be a City trader I know that long hours and high levels of stress are involved, this could impact on my health, life and relationships but again these risks are well known so if I went into that line of work I accept these risks.

Police face the chance of being killed or injured, body protection and guns for all the police would reduce the risk yet aren't issued.

Soldiers face the risk of being blown up in road side bombs yet aren't all supplied with bomb-proof vehicles.

Passive smoking is an occupational hazard, if you don't like it then don't work in a bar, as I have said, there are plenty of alternative jobs.

If you haven't been a smoker then you perhaps don't realise how satisfying it is to sit down with a fag and a pint, it adds to the pub experience.

If you haven't been a smoker then you perhaps don't realise how satisfying it is to sit down with a fag and a pint, it adds to the pub experience.

Thankfully I don't know how great it is. As a non smoker I do know how shit it is to have some selfish prat blowing smoke in your face though. My fault though, if I go to pubs I should expect and accept this sort of thing happening.

Thankfully I don't know how great it is. As a non smoker I do know how shit it is to have some selfish prat blowing smoke in your face though. My fault though, if I go to pubs I should expect and accept this sort of thing happening.

Again I refer you to my earlier point that if so many people felt so strongly then there would be more smoke free pubs around.