electronica stuff

tinofbeans

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stuff you would put on and more than likely just listen to it but would still dance to if you wanted to or were a bit drunk:

Pantha du Prince - Black Noise

The PDP is another fukin level mate. Brilliant. Nice to discover something fresh like that. :)

That track I posted was one of the last good things he did imo, and he has been hyped to fuck the last 5 years or so but his older stuff is still great.

I prefer his older stuff like, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was taking the piss with most of that recent stuff. It sounds like he is.

This is that Fracture chap I was on about

http://www.xlr8r.com/news/2014/06/stream-title-track-fractures-upc

Nice cover version that ;) I like it though (love the original). Boddika is canny too. I really like Deepchord who are a smiliar-ish vibe. They're like an even dubbier version of Basic Channel. They did a really good album called Sommer which was on the Soma label (the deep house / techno label synonomous with top tunes which Slam set up years ago). Soma's a bit like Warp in that the label is a bit patchy now but back in the day you could virtually guarantee whatever came out on it would be shit-hot. Still get some excellent releases on it though, as Sommer demonstrates.

Edited by Alex

I prefer his older stuff like, I honestly wouldn't be surprised if he was taking the piss with most of that recent stuff. It sounds like he is.

It wouldn't surprise me either :-)

I actually left early the last time I saw him (about 3 years ago), one of those 'I just can't be arsed' anymore things. Still, i'll never forget when I saw him and Underground Resistance play in an old film studio back in 1999/2000.

Nice cover version that ;) I like it though (love the original). Boddika is canny too. I really like Deepchord who are a smiliar-ish vibe. They're like an even dubbier version of Basic Channel. They did a really good album called Sommer which was on the Soma label (the deep house / techno label synonomous with top tunes which Slam set up years ago). Soma's a bit like Warp in that the label is a bit patchy now but back in the day you could virtually guarantee whatever came out on it would be shit-hot. Still get some excellent releases on it though, as Sommer demonstrates.

Slam you say? :-)

hopefully this hasn't already been posted...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZMxwgfs4ykM

Slam you say? :-)

hopefully this hasn't already been posted...

That's a stone-cold classic, I love it. Proper hairs standing up on the back of your neck tune. Still got it vinyl somewhere and it's on the Soma 2002 10-year anniversary compilation too. Also on that was Eterna (also by Slam) which I think was the also first ever single on Soma. It's another brilliant tune from back in the day. Good DJs too.

Edit:

Edited by Alex

great tune that :-)

I think they re-released it on a limited 12' with their first album (Headstates?) - my memories a bit...

The synth always reminded me a bit of this: (released around the same time 1990/1991) - although this is a bit harder :-)

Edited by RedfernMag

great tune that :-)

I think they re-released it on a limited 12' with their first album (Headstates?) - my memories a bit...

The synth always reminded me a bit of this: (released around the same time 1990/1991) - although this is a bit harder :-)

Your memory's spot on as I bought Headstates on vinyl when it came out and it did indeed have a bonus double 12" Eterna / Intensities In-Ten-Cities.

Loved the Ex:el Album In Yer Face was on as well. I'd never really thought about it but the synth is similar. 808 State were a brilliant act. Pacific is one of the best electronic tunes, which almost goes without saying.

Another class tune (and one that never really got the credit it deserved) from the around the same time is Indulge by Neal Howard. Been listening to a lot of early deep house / melodic techno from that era recently.

I got wasted with Stuart and Orde a few times at Back To Basics in the mid 90s. Slam were really good mates with Huggy and Ralph. I knew them through my Durham mates (not students) who went to the first Basics nights on Leeds and became mates with the whole crowd down there. Huggy and Stuart even played together at a Durham boat party which were basically private events my mates used to put on. Obviously Positive Education was bi of an anthem for all of us.

As much I love Soma, my taste at the time went down the 20:20 Recordings route, a label set up back then which is still going strong too. Gets less attention than it deserves, one of the UK's finest House labels.

Just had a mooch through the whole thread, some cracking tunes mentioned :-)

Keeping with Scottish duo's along with Slam, does anyone remember Twitch & Brainstorm? They used to run Pure in Edinburgh (a great night out that was). They were pretty experimental bringing in all sorts of earlier 80's electro/industrial/crazy shit into their mixes. I remember when they first tried doing a night in Newcastle, about 30 people turned up (upstairs in the Riverside). They even got the legend that is Claude Young to play (Claude did an amazing set to what seemed like 20 of us passing a bottle of poppers around the dance floor) he was still a top bloke though, spent ages chatting to everyone after. This must of been 94/95 maybe? I know it was around the same time that Bloated was running so I was expecting it to be rammed.

Bloated was a great night out, here's a flyer of the best one imo.

f815d7dd2780c1e970487a92f4c3bf4277355197

No one made rhythmic dance music quite like PWOG and Alex Knight has to be one of the greatest DJ's I've heard play (along with Weatherall when he's on it), his mixes were like some cryptic puzzle.

There doesn't appear to be any Alex Knight mixes knocking about on YT, but here's a great Weatherall mix from that time. (shame they didn't edit out that plonker Pete Tong!)

Edited by RedfernMag

Aye, Bloated was a good night, especially for a techno night in Newcastle. It was while I was away at university so I usually only went during the hols but I went to a few. I was actually at that very one (the Alex Knight one). It was a monthly night, wasn't it? I also saw Weatherall there (by coincidence, since you've just mentioned him - loads of the Essential Mixes from back then were class as well) as well as Luke Slater, Jeff Mills and a pretty unknown Dutch lass who DJ-ed there who went by the name of Lady Aida. She was pretty cool. Nick Detnon was the resident wasn't he? As for the PWOG, I've got their History Of Psychick Phenomenon compilation which I like but I haven't listened to in a good while. I loved the techno scene in the UK at that time. I've heard of that Pure night in Ebo but I never made it up there. I used to go down to Club UK in Wandsworth for their Friday techno night called 'The Final Frontier' which was run by the Universe people who organised 'Tribal Gathering'. It was fucking mint. Three massive rooms of techno where basically everyone who was everyone used to play - Colin Dale, Colin Faver, Dave Angel, Ritchie Hawtin, etc., etc. Brilliant times.

and just so you don't think i'm one of those old miserable fuckers propping up a bar somewhere banging on about how things aren't like they used to be (I am), here's a couple of recent 'electronic' tracks i like.

fuck knows what the video is a bout (and there's definitely the ghost of some old Underworld track in there) but it gets my feet tapping.

Saw these live a few months ago, a very visceral experience (the sound system was top notch which helped).

Edited by RedfernMag

Aye, Bloated was a good night, especially for a techno night in Newcastle. It was while I was away at university so I usually only went during the hols but I went to a few. I was actually at that very one (the Alex Knight one). It was a monthly night, wasn't it? I also saw Weatherall there (by coincidence, since you've just mentioned him - loads of the Essential Mixes from back then were class as well) as well as Luke Slater, Jeff Mills and a pretty unknown Dutch lass who DJ-ed there who went by the name of Lady Aida. She was pretty cool. Nick Detnon was the resident wasn't he? As for the PWOG, I've got their History Of Psychick Phenomenon compilation which I like but I haven't listened to in a good while. I loved the techno scene in the UK at that time. I've heard of that Pure night in Ebo but I never made it up there. I used to go down to Club UK in Wandsworth for their Friday techno night called 'The Final Frontier' which was run by the Universe people who organised 'Tribal Gathering'. It was fucking mint. Three massive rooms of techno where basically everyone who was everyone used to play - Colin Dale, Colin Faver, Dave Angel, Ritchie Hawtin, etc., etc. Brilliant times.

I used to go down to Club UK back then as well (my mate was living on the Wandsworth Rd), a great club as you say, that was the first and only place I heard Joey Beltram DJ, and it was the first place I heard Winx' Don't Laugh (at about 7am) - never has a tune hit the spot so perfectly :-)

I like those two. The first one reminds me of Rez/Cowgirl by Underworld a little bit. Especially the bassline / acid squiggles. The second one is a lot like Speedy J (particularly on his Public Energy No. 1 album). I love a bit of Speedy J. He started off making more melodic stuff like on his G-Spot and Ginger albums then went more experimental with Public... and A Shocking Hobby. His last solo album (Loudboxer) is more 4 to the floor hard, fast, minimal techno. It's great. He seems to have stopped making music now as his last release was a collaboration with Chris Liebing nearly 10 years ago.

I used to go down to Club UK back then as well (my mate was living on the Wandsworth Rd), a great club as you say, that was the first and only place I heard Joey Beltram DJ, and it was the first place I heard Winx' Don't Laugh (at about 7am) - never has a tune hit the spot so perfectly :-)

Class tune. He was a good producer. I think the white boy with dreads and the chart success of Higher State... turned him into a bit novelty act but he made plenty other good tunes. Another good one by him is Liquid Summer:

Edited by Alex