electronica stuff

tinofbeans

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave Angel (not the eco-warrior) has a fairly new album out which is a return to form (called Frame by Frame). Would appeal to those who remember the classic early 90s era when British techno was shit hot.

And how depressing (but unsurprising) is that article HF put up?

Btw, if you see any of the Em:t stuff cheap online give the 'Lucid Dream' album a miss as it's canny shite. If you see any of the other ones text me ASAP ;)

I look on discogs all the time (that's emit backwards btw ;) ) as it happens. Incidentally, Woob aka Paul Franklin also did some mint stuff under his Journeyman moniker.

Been listening to a lot of old vinyl recently, thought i'd pick out a few favourites.

Glenn Underground

Founder of the Strictly Jaz Unit, a true pioneer of techno soul and jazz house. Released a lot of material on Cajual Records, Peacefrog, Guidance and Defender records. I think i bought everything he released in 1996, he's still going and making great music. A couple of classics from around that time, not everything is on YT of course.

This is lush, if you can find it. 'Dont you ever stop' is quality jazz/disco/house.

http://www.discogs.com/Glenn-Underground-12-O-Clock-Pumpkin/release/1357

Paper Music Recordings

The seminal British house label. A complex background but a lot of the driving force was from Miles Holloway and Elliot Eastwick who were the residents at Hard Times, a legendary house club. Elliot was a resident at the Hacienda in 1992 and then left to set up Hard Times and record as Salt City Orchestra. The success of their release on Tribal UK led them to set up paper records in 95. In 1996 they release Paper 1, a track called Downtime which is still one of my favourite house tracks. Scott and Scooby from Trax records in Newcastle released a couple of records on paper as New Phunk Theory but Elliot and Matt's tracks were the ones that made paper the best underground house label the UK produced (imo obviously).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gi3EL1Mcx8g

If you like that, listen to the Salt City Orchestra stuff, its lush.

Herbert

Everyone knows him now but back in 1996 he was just starting out when he release 3 12's in a row of utterly startling quality. Its only when you delve into the character and the bizarre production processes that the whole thing becomes even more beautiful. The best £10 i ever spent was getting Herbert Phono 01, 02 and 03 in a triple pack.

There's 9 tracks in total, you can get most of them on a later compilation album.

Faze Action and Nuphonic Records

Responsible for the name of the sub-genre 'nu-house' to describe the jazz/funk/soul house that sprung up after Rave. Nuphonic was a great label, based in London and again springing up around 95. Faze Action's In the Trees and Flim-Flam's Yellowsox have been rocking the apartment earlier today. The label developed into Tirk records who signed Fujiya & Miyagi and none other than Greg Wilson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMxKfFCvvG8

20:20 Vision Recording

Back to Basics. Ralph Lawson. Huggy. Carl Finlow. Boat parties in Durham. Getting mangled with Orde & Stuart from Slam in Leeds in 95.

A great label http://www.2020recordings.com/allproducts/singles/

I was listening to the Shielded E.P and The Fifth Edition today, releases 5 and 11 out of 230. Not a bad catalogue.

Around 95/96 again.

Thats all mainly for alex, Tooj, Parky and HF if anyone is wondering.

Cheers Chezmus. Especially like the 2nd track. Re: Slam I think they're slightly boring / overrated as DJs but they're great producers. Particularly Eterna and Positive Education from back in the day. I think the former might have been the first ever single on the excellent Soma label, which is still going strong I think. Also, the Cut The Crap compilation from Back to Basics (Derrick Carter, tracky Chicago House mix / Ralph Lawson House/Deep House mix and an Electro / Downtempo mix from Sir Andrew of Weatherall) is fucking mint and would take a few of you back.

http://www.discogs.com/Andrew-Weatherall-Derrick-Carter-Ralph-Lawson-Back-To-Basics-Cut-The-Crap/release/218477

I think a few of them are on 100 lbs, the compilation album. You want to hear all 9 tracks off phono 01 to 03. Even the minimal tracks are layered with intricate beats made up from sampling god knows what everyday items, as is his style. There is a part 4 and 5, I've got a limited edition 'classic Herbert' which has 3 of the 4 tracks off 5 on it.

Will check out that Sneak album later this week Alex, I picked up a few Sneak tracks on Strictly over the years, that album is classic New York Sound Factory style.