electronica stuff

tinofbeans

• Replies 676
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You got the (old now like) Grooverider - Prototype Years comp, Dr. G? Nice. The Artcore / React series was good too. More like the stuff Bukem played rather than made. And MC Conrad always sounded like he had a bunged up nose (he probably did tbh). Just reminded me of Helter Skelter at NYE '98 btw. With the minutes silence for MC Stevie HyperD. Quite touching at the time but it didn't really work as well on the compilation tape from the event.

yeah. it's got some belters on it. i loved that era. wind to 1.37 in on this one for that reese bassline. OMG

Love that tune, G-Man.

Two of my favourite jungle compilations are these two:

http://www.discogs.com/DJ-Hype-United-Dance-The-Designer-Collection/release/191884

&

http://www.discogs.com/Various-World-Dance-Classics/release/195248

Who were your favourite DJs from back then? I'd have to go with those two above plus Ray Keith, Mickey Finn, Nicky Blackmarket, DJ SS, DJ Ron and (the also gorgeous) DJ Rap.

That Bassomatic album is good but nothing on it comes close to matching Fascinating Rhythmn.

Into The Dragon has Don't make me wait, Megablast, Beat Dis, Hey You and Say a little Prayer. Slightly spoiled by all the shouts out to Westwood and the capital rap show.

That Bassomatic album is good but nothing on it comes close to matching Fascinating Rhythmn.

Into The Dragon has Don't make me wait, Megablast, Beat Dis, Hey You and Say a little Prayer. Slightly spoiled by all the shouts out to Westwood and the capital rap show.

Aye, I've got that Bomb the Bass disc somewhere. He's done some other good stuff down the years as well. Clear? with Bug Powder Dust on (the one the references Naked Lunch). Thinking back re: Bassomatic, the first 3 tracks were class (inc. Fascinating Rhythm) but the rest was a bit meh.

And aye, Parky, he's a good producer. His Strange Cargo stuff is good.

Bit surprised to see no 2unlimited on any of the lists posted so far.

essential hardcore was one of the first cds i ever bought :lol:

The first CD I ever owned was called Monster Hits. It had a dinosaur wearing a suit and shades on the cover.

Was (Not Was) - Walk the dinosaur had to be on that.

A Jurassic classic tbh,

Humanoid is a great tune. Features on a compilation called Flux Trax which is excellent btw (Vol 2 is good too). I should catalogue and insure my CD collection btw. The em:t ones alone are worth almost as much as vintage swatches.

Btw, I think the first Prodigy album is the best stuff they ever did.

without a doubt. that's the album that turned my head away from indy guitar stuff. the rest is history.

although the prodigy went on to bigger things, i don't think any of their following albums matched that hardcore sound of experience. not one bad track on it tbh

You got the (old now like) Grooverider - Prototype Years comp, Dr. G? Nice. The Artcore / React series was good too. More like the stuff Bukem played rather than made. And MC Conrad always sounded like he had a bunged up nose (he probably did tbh). Just reminded me of Helter Skelter at NYE '98 btw. With the minutes silence for MC Stevie HyperD. Quite touching at the time but it didn't really work as well on the compilation tape from the event.

yeah. it's got some belters on it. i loved that era. wind to 1.37 in on this one for that reese bassline. OMG

Love that tune, G-Man.

Two of my favourite jungle compilations are these two:

http://www.discogs.c.../release/191884

&

http://www.discogs.c.../release/195248

Who were your favourite DJs from back then? I'd have to go with those two above plus Ray Keith, Mickey Finn, Nicky Blackmarket, DJ SS, DJ Ron and (the also gorgeous) DJ Rap.

of the classic party tune jump up djs, probably micky finn. i think andy c or dj hype were probably the best of that lot technically. andy c was quite young then but he blew up the scene pretty quick. his later sets turned to pure cheese but when he started out in the mid 90s he stood out because his mixing was just ridiculous, never dropped a beat, and double drops all over the shop. skibadee back then was just a stupidly good mc then as well, saw the two of them play together a fair bit over the years. skibba turned totally crap after a while too.

i actually knew nicky blackmarket quite well funnily enough. i spent most of my early years in london hanging around blackmarket records. if you did your best to make friends with him (kiss his arse basically), he'd sort you out with all the latest white labels.

beyond that period, calibre, marky, high contrast, zinc and marcus intalex were among my favourite djs. i got into what the chinstrokers call the more liquid sound after about 2000 when the mainstream turned into a weird blend of nu school jump up cheese. i think they call it clownstep these days ....total garbage and kind of coincided with me stopping buying tunes, playing out, getting older basically.

of the new generation, d-bridge does some really interesting stuff these days - he used to be part of bad company. it's sort of half time dnb. hard to explain. not quite dubstep or dnb...somewhere inbetween but well worth checking out. technical beats and proper basslines.

Jilted Generation was the last thing I liked by them. I thought Firestarter etc. was proper shite tbh.

aye, that's exactly when i went off them. when they started getting big in america and headlining festivals. they just went a bit too rocky for me. snob tastic tbh

Not sure if anyone has hoyed up youtube vids, but a search on "Talabot" didn't get any results....

Barcelona house producer John Talabot has a knack for capturing the very specific kind of bliss associated with dancing on Mediterranean beaches at the height of summer. A penchant for rising chords means that all his melodies make you feel like raising your arms and face to the sun. Talabot also has arguably the greatest sense of build-and-release since prime Booka Shade: ƒin is full of incredible tension-releasing moments, from the extended break in Destiny to the entrance of Missing You's bouncing bass. The generosity of Talabot's sound can also be ascribed to the amount of disparate ingredients he puts to use in service of his aesthetic – particularly the variety of human voices on display. There are wordless chants and bright, optimistic pop hooks; an echoing scream is plucked from a horror film and deposited in the middle of a carnival on Oro y Sangre, while on So Will Be Now, cut-up vocals coalesce gradually and gorgeously into recognisable language. All of humanity seems to be here – and it's busy celebrating being alive.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/jan/26/john-talabot-fin-cd-review

As the album closes with Pional returning for "So Will Be Now"—circles of the Temptations' "Just My Imagination" echoing in symphony as a base for one of the album's most spacious and elegant deep house gems—it's clear that Talabot picked the right title in Fin Spanish for "the end," Talabot's said in interviews that he chose it when he was happy with the year of work he'd put in and wanted to put a concrete close to the process. The man should trust his instincts; it may be only early February, but is without a doubt an early contender for electronic album of the year.

http://www.residentadvisor.net/review-view.aspx?id=10382

Edited by Happy Face

Tweaked mine ever so slightly:

B12 - Electro Soma

Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 85-92

Black Dog Productions - Bytes

Autechre - Amber

Gas - em:t0095

Amorphous Androgynous - Tales of Ephidrina

Orbtial - Snivilisation

Irresistible Force - It's Tomorrow Already

Robert Leiner - Visions of the Past

Speedy J - Ginger

Carl Craig - More Songs About Food and Revolutionary Art

Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right to Children

KLF - Chill Out

Nightmares on Wax - Smokers Delight

Kenny Larkin - Azimuth

The Orb - U.F.Orb

808 State - ex:el

Goldie - Timeless

Beaumont Hannant - Texturology

Brian Eno - Apollo

Couldn't put them in any definitive order though, Parkington. Soz.