job advice

Kid Dynamite

decided im sick of cleaning up poo at the hospital and having fights with drunks so im looking for a new job. my application for the police has been pending for 7months so i need something to tide me over til that comes through or i can apply again.

applied for 2 jobs.

first is community sports coach, only 16hours a week at £11 an hour.

plus points, il enjoy it, im good at it, its only 16hours so i can keep dossing about a bit, it gives me time to do 1 night a week at the hospital and make another £100

negative points, still not a 'proper' job, nee pension etc.

second is prison warden, full time, £18grand ish, 39hours a week

plus points, canny money, probably look good on police cv, will have pension etc.

negative points, only 22 days annual leave, if police thing comes through will be a lot harder to break my contract. back to shifts again, oh and surrounded by crims

:D hmmm, tough one.

decided im sick of cleaning up poo at the hospital and having fights with drunks so im looking for a new job. my application for the police has been pending for 7months so i need something to tide me over til that comes through or i can apply again.

Are you in fact a pioneering anti-alcohol crusader? Thought you had some major job with the MLS, I know that league's not as highly regarded as some but I wouldn't describe it as 'cleaning up poo'.

negative points, only 22 days annual leave

30440[/snapback]

Aww diddums. Jesus Christ, the kids of today don't know what real work is! :dancing:

30461[/snapback]

Exactly! In Oz the standard annual leave that every job offers regardless of industry is 20 days. You get even less than that in the US, the job I would have had if my visa stuff didn't go tits up would have been 15 days, and that was a huge benefit that most people could only dream of.

Mind you, I negotiated 15 days annual leave on my six month NHS contract so I'm hardly one to talk. Ahhhh, the joys of working for the NHS. I signed my contract on Friday and started my 15 days paid leave the next Monday. :D Cath, I will NEVER tease you about your time off again. :ithankyou:

Not some advice but this orkney fudge is Lovely .

30459[/snapback]

Helpful :D

30460[/snapback]

More helpful than what the rest of us have said, bar maybe 'fuck the police'.

Mind you, I negotiated 15 days annual leave on my six month NHS contract so I'm hardly one to talk. Ahhhh, the joys of working for the NHS. I signed my contract on Friday and started my 15 days paid leave the next Monday. :D Cath, I will NEVER tease you about your time off again. :ithankyou:

30475[/snapback]

And you still couldn't make it to Newcastle for the Man U game, bitch? :dancing:

what is it with you and that chip on your shoulder? first you have a go at my beliefs, branding me 'simple', so when i tell you that no im actually not simple i have a degree you get upset all over again. id be interested to know what perfect life you lead?

my life is my own to live as i please, im debt free and have the option to do anything at all i want. ive been offered a place on a medicine degree at newcastle university but decided after one degree i probably couldnt stick another for 4-5 years. the HPD scheme in the police appeals to me so i am waiting to hear about my application. in the meantime im looking for a job. and while it may not be 'heady hights' it keeps me happy.

plus im not a cock. so i guess i got one over on you

but i do have to justify why i dont drink apparently. when the only person with issues about it is you?

30513[/snapback]

If you really want to get into this again we can. I've already explained to you that I don't have an issue with you not drinking. I don't drink either. I just had a go about what you said about Niall Quinn. I'm also very interested in this cult you've joined. You need to read over things more carefully, you keep misstating things.

applied for 2 jobs.

first is community sports coach, only 16hours a week at £11 an hour.

plus points, il enjoy it, im good at it, its only 16hours so i can keep dossing about a bit, it gives me time to do 1 night a week at the hospital and make another £100

negative points, still not a 'proper' job, nee pension etc.

second is prison warden, full time, £18grand ish, 39hours a week

plus points, canny money, probably look good on police cv, will have pension etc.

negative points, only 22 days annual leave, if police thing comes through will be a lot  harder to break my contract. back to shifts again, oh and surrounded by crims

:D hmmm, tough one.

30440[/snapback]

I applied for the police a few years back and got through the physical but failed on the tests, my maths wasn't up to scratch! You'll be lucky to get into the Northumbria Police these days, it seems they are only taking minority groups at the minute, your better off trying Durham if you haven't already.

Where did you hear about the Prison Officer jobs? I'm interested in that, i work with a retired Prison Officer and he quit cos he wasn't allowed to smack the inmates anymore! He reckons the job is a piece of piss nowadays.

Edited by Smooth Operator

Not some advice but this orkney fudge is Lovely .

30459[/snapback]

Helpful :D

30460[/snapback]

More helpful than what the rest of us have said, bar maybe 'fuck the police'.

30476[/snapback]

I thought it was lovely, but not nice enough to have its own thread.

what do you WANT to do?

Both the Prison Service and the police are relatively well paid, really secure jobs but aren't that good long term unless you get promotion

if you want to do good and work with people there are lots of jobs involving the Community but they pay poorly

Sounds as if you want to work with people (God knows why....) what about training for Social Services? they are screaming for people - especially to handle the tougher cases (children, old people etc)

You can work your way up steadily by doing courses, day release etc and its reasonably paid and very secure - plus you can easily transfer to somewhere else when & if you want to

PS. Why has you application for the police been pending for 7 months -are you sure they've got it?