our lack of a right winger

Dr Gloom

anyone concerned by our lack of a right winger?

our only genuine right winger (milner), lacks pace and is 1st choice on the left under big sam.

smith is NOT a right winger in a million years; geremi was but is also probably too slow to play there now.

i think sam's biggest mistake was to sell both dyer and solano. our options wide right now are loomking pretty gash.

It's not just a right winger, it's that (on lasts nights effort anyway) plus still the lack of a connection though the middle (which probably goes back to a quality playmaking/attacking midfielder). We seemed more like a team that had never played together, especially in midfield, last night.

dyer was never as shite as smith was on the right wing last night. smith's was one of the worst performances i've seen in a long time. just what did he contribute other than two late sliding tackles?

I remember when I called the 6m signing of Smith 'DISGUSTING' and was flamed for it by a few. HE had a good game vs sampdoria soon after in a friendly, but every performance since then has been shocking. What I'd give for Nobby, even a discontented Nobby, instead of this useless tool.

Edited by bassplayerjj

I remember when I called the 6m signing of Smith 'DISGUSTING' and was flamed for it by a few. HE had a good game vs sampdoria soon after in a friendly, but every performance since then has been shocking. What I'd give for Nobby, even a discontented Nobby, instead of this useless tool.

he's not a bad reserve striker but he's been consistently poor for us in midfield and shouldn't play there again unless the squad is stretched. i'm more than a little concerend that sam seems to think he's a right winger.

It's not just a right winger, it's that (on lasts nights effort anyway) plus still the lack of a connection though the middle (which probably goes back to a quality playmaking/attacking midfielder). We seemed more like a team that had never played together, especially in midfield, last night.

Talks a lot of shite but I have to agree.

We have a group of individuals in the midfield and not a team. We dont offer anything in the midfield at all. Its VERY concerning.

he's not a bad reserve striker but he's been consistently poor for us in midfield and shouldn't play there again unless the squad is stretched. i'm more than a little concerend that sam seems to think he's a right winger.

I'm not convinced he thinks Smith is a right winger. I just think he's playing who he has to hand at the minute. If Enrique was at LB we'd have Charlie at LW and Milner at RW. It'd be different again if we had the first choice 4-3-3 BS obviously wants to play.

I think that as a few players come back, we'll see a more balanced side.

Talks a lot of shite but I have to agree.

We have a group of individuals in the midfield and not a team. We dont offer anything in the midfield at all. Its VERY concerning.

Says you. :icon_lol:

He shouldnt be played in the midfield, he should be played up front or on the bench.

He shouldnt be played in the midfield, he should be played up front or on the bench.

agree with that like. but it seems he's our vice captain now. i was scratching my head a bit last night when sam took off geremi instead of smith and then gave smith the armband...!

agree with that like. but it seems he's our vice captain now. i was scratching my head a bit last night when sam took off geremi instead of smith and then gave smith the armband...!

It was a nonsense substitution and i dont understand why he didnt give the armband to Butt, at least he leads by good example rather than bad example.

I was quite excited about Smith coming at first, especially after the pre-season game but he his devoid of pace and thats a concern in the prem. He can play as a striker in and around the box and that should be where he is used.

Be good to see how Faye plays in midfield when Barton is back but at the moment, all our problems look like being in that area.

The thing is tho, he's a pretty boogz striker as far as I can remember, hence his goals record in the league and international (even though many of those games are from midfield), the lad is shite.

Our basic problem is we played probably the slowest midfield in the football league yesterday. Both central midfielders lack pace and then playing Smith on the right was terrible. Also I'm all for playing Milner, but he's very slow for a young winger. I know Emre and Barton are neither lightning quick, but they at least add flair to our midfield.

Someone needs to come in so we can get Milner out of the first team, we'll never get anywhere with him and Smith out on the wing.

Perhaps we could try for SWP now.

Wouldn't be the worst timing in the world. A lot will depend on whether or not Chelsea decide to appoint before January. However, perhaps he'll want to stick around to see if he's offered more first team football there.

Could try for Lampard and Terry though :huh: