Arsenal v Newcastle United

MattM4

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the same old results, happy days...

In our last 5 trips to Arsenal we lost by more than 1 goal once.

We even managed to hold this team to 1-1:

Lehmann, Eboue, Toure, Gallas, Clichy, Hleb, Fabregas, Julio Baptista (Walcott, 64), Flamini, Van Persie (Henry, 46), Adebayor

Guest Patrokles

We lost to one of the finest sides in the league, at their home patch, when they were fielding a team full of cocky, brilliant young players, without our best centre-half and two first-choice forwards. Boo fucking hoo. Get a grip.

Guest Patrokles
While I am sort of thinking the same Pat, I cannot help to be pissed off with taking Milner off for Butt and having what sounds like Zero formation or structure to the team

This, seems like a reoccuring theme?

No, I agree with you there.

I do think that this is different from the lack of structure under Souness and Roeder, though, and more that we had to make six changes we'd never have made ordinarily, that Allardyce has only really just started with the team, and that we were up against a side who would rip anyone apart at will.

We lost to one of the finest sides in the league, at their home patch, when they were fielding a team full of cocky, brilliant young players, without our best centre-half and two first-choice forwards. Boo fucking hoo. Get a grip.

Was there any point even turning up then? Should we have just conceded? "Get a grip"? Who likes losing, ever?

While I am sort of thinking the same Pat, I cannot help to be pissed off with taking Milner off for Butt and having what sounds like Zero formation or structure to the team

This, seems like a reoccuring theme?

No, I agree with you there.

I do think that this is different from the lack of structure under Souness and Roeder, though, and more that we had to make six changes we'd never have made ordinarily, that Allardyce has only really just started with the team, and that we were up against a side who would rip anyone apart at will.

I don't like this thread.

Now I even have to agree with you. :P

:(

Guest Patrokles

Was there any point even turning up then? Should we have just conceded? "Get a grip"? Who likes losing, ever?

No one likes to lose, but you're coming across as hysterical.

No one likes to lose, but you're coming across as hysterical.

That's a bit of an overstatement don't you think? Where have I been hysterical?

Owen's injured and Shola's shit, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Martins just isn't a very good footballer.

But even you'll agree that under the current circimstances, Martins should be starting the next 2-3 league games. Needs to get a decent run and get some confidence to be effective.

He starts by default unfortunately, yes.

Why not start Smith up there?

Cos he is shit?

Owen's injured and Shola's shit, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Martins just isn't a very good footballer.

But even you'll agree that under the current circimstances, Martins should be starting the next 2-3 league games. Needs to get a decent run and get some confidence to be effective.

Cos he is shit?

He was tonight again, apparently.

Just got back form the match.

Martins looked dangerous all game but should have scored 3. His finishing was off tonight. I thought we played okay in the 1st half. 2nd half they bummed us straight from the off. We weathered the storm but couldnt keep a lot of possession. Rozy lost BENT-ENDER for the goal and the second was a peach on the counter.

Taylor was superb. Cleaned up everything. Enrique was also top drawer tonight. Will get better with some match practice as well.

All in all not a very good result considering the average age of the gooners team was 20.

(Traore looked particularly good. Walcott has no end product )

Edited by Holden McGroin

Cos he is shit?

He started off REALLY poorly but managed to pass a ball successfully once in the second half (back to Given). He is getting better. I actually think Pattison would be a better option in midfield..

Cos he is shit?

He started off REALLY poorly but managed to pass a ball successfully once in the second half (back to Given). He is getting better. I actually think Pattison would be a better option in midfield..

What was the rest of the midfield like? Shola on the left?!

Cos he is shit?

What was the rest of the midfield like? Shola on the left?!

Didnt think Shola played horrifically. Him and Milner hufffed and puffed and closed down but not much end product. I basically think Sams tactics were to be tight then nick a set piece or a counter.

Zoggy looked good first half but barely saw him in the 2nd.

Faye looked solid.

Holden, thanks for that good read and cheered me up slightly,but it still fills me with questions the subs that BS was making.

They were talking about that Traore kid on 5Live saying he was great, Walcott, well I have never really rated him. I am sure his potential will come good one day but at the moment its not shining through ala Fabregas and Co.

We showed the Gooners a lot of respect IMO last night by playing the five in midfield, but do we have the clever strikers & wide players to play this? Milner, Smith and Ameobi to push up and support the strikers? I dont think we have, possibley Zog but thats about it.

Martins looked dangerous all game but should have scored 3. His finishing was off tonight.

Typical performance then :(

Edited by alex

i watched smith closely tonight. all he does is give the ball away. absolutely shocking player.

we were far too cautious against a young arsenal side. martins was isolated up front for pretty much the whole game. shola was terrible on the left and zoggy was wasted in the middle of a 4-3-3. as soon as they scored we pushed smith alongside martins and straight away created our first real chance of the second half - i think we might have got a result if we'd been more adventurous from the outset.

faye impressed and should be challenging butt now for the defensive midfield role.

I was at the game last night and agree with much of what Holden said.

Given made some very good saves, Beye didn't have the best match and was caught out quite a few times, Taylor played really well, looked very solid and got in the way of everything, Rozenhal lost his man for the first goal but was decent the rest of the time, Enrique looked decent and very strong, Milner was below par, Faye looked solid, Smith was pretty much atrocious (his first three attempted passes didn't get within 20 yards of a Toon player), N'Zogbia had a decent first half but faded in the 2nd, Ameobi played left wing and did nothing, Martins led the line on his own very well but his finishing was really really poor. Emre looked ok when he came on and Butt just chased around but couldn't get near the oppo.

I really think we lost it in midfield as Arsenal were much quicker and far more inventive than us.

Can't really argue with the result as Arsenal passed the ball round us all evening. If it wasn't for the fact that they were playing us, I would probably have really enjoyed the match given the football they played.

I'm not sure what your point is tbh. I've said for a long while now that this lad isn't good enough, while the majority have gone way over the top about him. Owen's injured and Shola's shit, but that doesn't take away from the fact that Martins just isn't a very good footballer.

44 starts 20 goals.

he isn't THAT bad either.

He isn't that good either, unfortunately.

If he had a bit of luck he could have scored have scored 3 last night. I still think he is a valuable player to have in a pool of 4 strikers.

So do I. I don't think he's that good though. He's lively, pacy and likely to produce the occasional bit of brilliance. He's also inconsistent and has a poor touch and movement though. I concede we'd have been fucked without him last season and I'm glad we've got him for the upcoming games too.