War of words amid postal strike

khay

On more than one occasion, on having a weekday off, I have seen the bloke get out the van without the parcel, card ready in hand. He puts it through my box, no knocking or anything.

What's that all about?

Straight outta Viz that behaviour!

Lazy SOB. Get the cards round, no waiting, in the pub for the 1.15 from Hexham.

Whilst they are trying to look after their own jobs etc they are actually also fighting to retain a level of service. People constantly bitch and whine about getting their mail later well if the top dogs have it their way it you won't be getting it until late morning/afternoon. As well as later deliveries they are cutting jobs, reducing collections and i think its around 2500 closures of post offices. The CWU are not only fighting to look after peoples pay or for pay increases but to also maintain a standard.

Yes it can be argued that striking is not the way forward but if it doesn't get challenged many out there who are complaining about the level of service they are currently getting are going to get one hell of a surprise as the standard is only going to get worse.

Well, I for one think they're a bit late if they are claiming to protect service. I don't think anyone really cares after the point was crossed that you didn't get your mail until after leaving for work. All of which was agreed by the union. As for closing post offices, I don't think anyone can argue they are shutting profitable offices, that argument has been done to death I think, and won't be changed by striking either.

Off topic but that one has always amazed me. People wanting their mail before they leave for work. The reality with that was that within the last 10-15 years the job changed incredibly mainly with the increased popularity in direct mail and also the internet (internet shopping etc has actually had the opposite effect that what had been speculated). Add this to the fact that starting times are made later and later and there are continued job cuts and over the last few years a major change in the deliveries, with what used to be classed a delivery now having another half a delivery added to it and the bosses constantly trying to add even more onto it, it is not possible for everyone to get their mail "first thing".

Obviously there will be a start and an end for a delivery route and it is just unfortunate for some that those at the end will get their mail a lot later than those at the start.

I forgot Ritchie used to be a postie :razz:

Aye and I done more graft/work in that job than I do now (and I know for a fact most of the loafers on here)

Always makes me laugh seeing people on these forums calling all posties lazy. Pot, kettle and black.. :D

It's actually a canny service imo. I use it loads via the internet too. If someone states they use a different delivery service I tend not to use them because they are usually a nightmare in my experience.

On more than one occasion, on having a weekday off, I have seen the bloke get out the van without the parcel, card ready in hand. He puts it through my box, no knocking or anything.

What's that all about?

Could you not have met him at the door? It would have been worth it for the look on his face.

Whilst they are trying to look after their own jobs etc they are actually also fighting to retain a level of service. People constantly bitch and whine about getting their mail later well if the top dogs have it their way it you won't be getting it until late morning/afternoon. As well as later deliveries they are cutting jobs, reducing collections and i think its around 2500 closures of post offices. The CWU are not only fighting to look after peoples pay or for pay increases but to also maintain a standard.

Yes it can be argued that striking is not the way forward but if it doesn't get challenged many out there who are complaining about the level of service they are currently getting are going to get one hell of a surprise as the standard is only going to get worse.

Well, I for one think they're a bit late if they are claiming to protect service. I don't think anyone really cares after the point was crossed that you didn't get your mail until after leaving for work. All of which was agreed by the union. As for closing post offices, I don't think anyone can argue they are shutting profitable offices, that argument has been done to death I think, and won't be changed by striking either.

Off topic but that one has always amazed me. People wanting their mail before they leave for work. The reality with that was that within the last 10-15 years the job changed incredibly mainly with the increased popularity in direct mail and also the internet (internet shopping etc has actually had the opposite effect that what had been speculated). Add this to the fact that starting times are made later and later and there are continued job cuts and over the last few years a major change in the deliveries, with what used to be classed a delivery now having another half a delivery added to it and the bosses constantly trying to add even more onto it, it is not possible for everyone to get their mail "first thing".

Obviously there will be a start and an end for a delivery route and it is just unfortunate for some that those at the end will get their mail a lot later than those at the start.

First thing has been achievable in the past. If it's not now, fine, but my point is it's not exactly important once you cross that threshold is it?

Most of the twats knew what wage they were going to get when they started the job in the first place,once they get their feet under the table they take libertys,they should think themselves lucky to have a fucking job :razz:

The flexible working that they are trying to impose is a farce too. Bugger never really knowing week to week which ours you are working. If the bosses have their way workers may turn up for work on a day (say an 8 hour day for example) in which it is quiet and tell them they are only required to work 6 and get sent home early but you then owe them 2 hours when they feel like it.

Don't they make a loss on every letter they deliver? Wouldn't it be simpler to put the cost of a first class stamp up to say 40p and use the extra money to sort out whatever issues they are having?

It still wouldn't cover Crozier's wages and bonuses. ;)

Actually they are more likely to close down 2nd class service altogether, they have suspiciously run down a lot of their non-profit making services.

Never really seen the point in 2nd class.

There's probably not a lot these days (apart from for the consumer as it's cheaper).

But that's why I'd expect one service with 2nd class delivery but a price hike on the 1st class price.

Like when Walkers recently reduced the weight of crisps in a bag, but put the price per gram of crisps up (they win both ways and the consumer loses in 2 ways, in that case less crisps AND more expensive crisps.... per crisp ;) ).

I don't know if there's a business type 2nd class service, but I'm pretty sure you can't buy a 2nd class stamp anymore. I wouldn't know really as I've tried to avoid putting money in their pockets since the first strikes, and since next day mail effectively meant you had to nip home from work at lunchtime. I do have a form that needs to be sent somewhere by the end of the month, I can't believe I'm actually having to consider getting it couriered.

Latest I saw today was wildcat strikes because their docked pay from an official 4 day strike was taken out of 1 weeks pay packet instead of over 2. I mean c'mon scotmag, there's right to strike and there's taking the micheal owen surely?