Landlord problems

The Fish

had some issues with the landlord, just wanna see if this letter sounds about right?

I've removed his name and my address just to make sure there are no legal toes I'm stepping on.

Dear ********,

We, the tenants from *******, are writing to inform you of concerns we have with the state of the property, concerns that have been raised since the beginning of our tenancy (15th July 2005).

We were unhappy with the condition of the property when we first came to move in. Firstly, you did not ask for our permission or notify us of your intent to convert the basement into a separate flat. That was not in the contract that we signed, and we do not feel that we should be paying the same rent for a 7 bedroomed house with no basement, as this is no longer the property which we signed the contract for. Due to the fact that we have one less floor (basement) and do not have the storage that was originally part of the house (and one of the major reasons we agreed tenancy), we think it's reasonable to renegotiate rent from October 2005.

The shower on the middle floor has also not been replaced as was promised in the contract; we were assured that this would have been completed by the 15th July 2005. It was not and is still sub-standard. This is also true for the kitchen, even though is has been finished now, it was not finished by the date set in the contract (the 15th July 2005), making the house uninhabitable in accordance to guidelines set out by the Student Advice Centre.

This is not acceptable and hence we think it’s justified that we don’t pay full summers rent, (if any for July /August), and as renovation continued until September 11th 2005 we think it is fair to pay a reduced rent for September, representing the inconvenience that those that had moved in suffered because of the ongoing major renovations above and below.

We also have the right to be given 24 hours advance notice whether or not your workmen (and painters, plumbers, electricians etc.) would be coming and going through the house at will.

We would however, like to thank you for agreeing to pay the bills for electricity, gas, and water until the 11th of September 2005, this was a welcome surprise and a clear sign that you are a reasonable man.

We would hope these relatively insignificant concerns do not sour a potentially good relationship between the tenants and a landlord of good reputation, as this is not the aim of this letter.

Thoughts?

Send it in, sounds pretty reasonable to me. If he's neglecting to fix things that he stated he would, and if he's changing the usable space by taking the basement away from you then you have every right to renegotiate the contract.

I wish my landlord would fix the drawers in my bedroom and the freezer. He promised to fix them both when I moved in back in February. Tight Scottish bastard tbh.

OMG racism.

Student landlords are twats like. Bloke at the match was telling me his daughter had all sorts of shit getting the security deposit back after she finished uni. They reported damage when they moved in, he did nowt about it for the 2 years they were there, then tried to hold back the security deposit by saying they did it. They threatened legal action and he bottled it. Sister in law had a load of trouble getting her security deposit back as well, watch out for the bastids.

the really crazy thing is that we reckon he is the landlord that the "League of Gentlemen" boys had when they were at Leeds...

I swear he shouted upstairs "Ello Daave" in the same voice... I nearly shat a Ostriche!

Basically fine but if I'm going to be hypercritical, the last para sounds a bit gay and implies you all want to have a homosexual orgy with him.

33490[/snapback]

Yeah, but you have homosexual orgies on the brain and will take anything to mean that. tbh.

Basically fine but if I'm going to be hypercritical, the last para sounds a bit gay and implies you all want to have a homosexual orgy with him.

33490[/snapback]

Yeah, but you have homosexual orgies on the brain and will take anything to mean that. tbh.

33496[/snapback]

Homophobe!

33490[/snapback]

The voice of experience eh?

33503[/snapback]

Homosapien!

had some issues with the landlord, just wanna see if this letter sounds about right?

I've removed his name and my address just to make sure there are no legal toes I'm stepping on.

Dear ********,

We, the tenants from *******, are writing to inform you of concerns we have with the state of the property, concerns that have been raised since the beginning of our tenancy (15th July 2005).

We were unhappy with the condition of the property when we first came to move in. Firstly, you did not ask for our permission or notify us of your intent to convert the basement into a separate flat. That was not in the contract that we signed, and we do not feel that we should be paying the same rent for a 7 bedroomed house with no basement, as this is no longer the property which we signed the contract for. Due to the fact that we have one less floor (basement) and do not have the storage that was originally part of the house (and one of the major reasons we agreed tenancy), we think it's reasonable to renegotiate rent from October 2005.

The shower on the middle floor has also not been replaced as was promised in the contract; we were assured that this would have been completed by the 15th July 2005. It was not and is still sub-standard. This is also true for the kitchen, even though is has been finished now, it was not finished by the date set in the contract (the 15th July 2005), making the house uninhabitable in accordance to guidelines set out by the Student Advice Centre.

This is not acceptable and hence we think it’s justified that we don’t pay full summers rent, (if any for July /August), and as renovation continued until September 11th 2005 we think it is fair to pay a reduced rent for September, representing the inconvenience that those that had moved in suffered because of the ongoing major renovations above and below.

We also have the right to be given 24 hours advance notice whether or not your workmen (and painters, plumbers, electricians etc.) would be coming and going through the house at will.

We would however, like to thank you for agreeing to pay the bills for electricity, gas, and water until the 11th of September 2005, this was a welcome surprise and a clear sign that you are a reasonable man.

We would hope these relatively insignificant concerns do not sour a potentially good relationship between the tenants and a landlord of good reputation, as this is not the aim of this letter.

Thoughts?

33449[/snapback]

Ending a sentence with a preposition. Come on you're better than that

Edited by spongebob toonpants

Dear ********,

Thoughts?

33449[/snapback]

Ending a sentence with a preposition. Come on your better than that

33672[/snapback]

Getting 'your' and 'you're' wrong. Come on Mr Avenger, you're better than that. :)

Dear ********,

Thoughts?

33449[/snapback]

Ending a sentence with a preposition. Come on your better than that

33672[/snapback]

Getting 'your' and 'you're' wrong. Come on Mr Avenger, you're better than that. :)

33677[/snapback]

Fuck me that was quicker than an Australian heading back to the pavillion

Dear ********,

Thoughts?

33449[/snapback]

Just highlighted a typo, good letter. Bloody uppity students!

On a serious note are you sure you want to take it down this route so soon? You've said he's a reasonable bloke. I don't know what the fiscal difference is between that unexpected bonus and full vs half rent over the summer, just don't get an extra few quid and sour the relationship.

It's a tough one because from a legal stand point it's great to have these things in writing but once you send that letter you will change the nature of the relationship. And an awkward landlord can make life very difficult.

Suppose you'd better make use of those letter writing skills while you can, 4 years of an alcohol soaked brain later you won't be able to spell letter.

33490[/snapback]

Hmmm what kind of law are you in?

Contract? "well Mr Machioyoto personally I think its a great deal, 50quid for 10 houses however the last paragraph just well sorta sounds a bit queeaaah, sounds like they're going to shag ya ass!"

Matrimonial? "Your honour, my client agrees to the terms of his ex wife however wishes the part about the cat to be removed as it makes him sound like a poofta"

Criminal? "Members of the jury I think you will find that my client is of previous unblemished character and acknowledges this was a mistake however I wouldnt believe him if I was you, that last statement he made well it just sort of sounded like he was a nobjockey didnt it?"

sounds like student landlords are all much the same. a while back when my brother was at uni, his shower leaked... and the water tended to drip down the lightbulb in the kitchen below..... had a hellish time trying to get it fixed, despite the obvious safety issues. bleedin' swines the lot of 'em. good luck with getting it all sorted, mr fish.

My landlord is marvellous. Had a bit of a disaster a couple of weeks ago when I awoke to find the bathroom flooded cos one of the pipes in the back of the loo had cracked. Ended up calling out an emergency plumber at 1am and paying ridiculously over-inflated prices for the pleasure. Paid on my Visa card, spoke to the landlord and I had a cheque to cover it the next morning :lol:

Good luck though :nufc:

Our landlord is a twat to get hold of, took him about a month and a half to send me the details I needed to set up a standing order for the rent after he promised 4 times that they were in the post. We discovered pretty much straight away that we're causing a leak downstairs when we have a bath or shower. Both us and the lass downstairs have pestered the bastid for weeks and he's finally sent someone out this morning for a look. Harry Houdini I've renamed him.

My landlord is an absolute cock.

He's only about 24, blatently inherited the firm from his parents and now he's loaded and you can tell. He has a massive chip on his shoulder and he really doesn't give a shite so long as he has your rent.

Tosser.

cheers one an all, and mancy, the only reason it sounds gay is because it went through a fat gay manc muffler when you read it.

you have that affect on things mate :razz:

cheers one an all, and mancy, the only reason it sounds gay is because it went through a fat gay manc muffler when you read it.

you have that affect on things mate :razz:

35084[/snapback]

'effect'

..and less of the 'fat' business, Watson! :blink: