Tuesday's gossip column

ohhh_yeah

Fulham manager Lawrie Sanchez is interested in signing Wolves goalkeeper Wayne Hennessey. (The Times)

Fulham and Celtic are set to bid £4m for Burnley's Irish striker Kyle Lafferty. (Daily Star)

Chelsea midfielder Frank Lampard is wanted by Juventus, according Italian press reports. (The Times)

Manchester United's hopes of signing Miguel Veloso have been damaged by a row between the player's club Sporting Lisbon and Carlos Queiroz. (Guardian)

Portsmouth striker Benjani Mwaruwari is ready to snub a move to Juventus to stay at Fratton Park. (The Sun)

Bolton and Wigan are in competition for the signature of West Brom full-back Paul Robinson. (The Times)

Birmingham boss Alex McLeish has been promised funds to bring in new players and wants to bring in players he has previously worked with. (The Times)

Liverpool striker Fernando Torres has begged the club's owners not to sack manager Rafael Benitez. (various)

Newcastle manager Sam Allardyce is desperate to bring in new player in the January transfer window. (Daily Star)

But chairman Chris Mort is reluctant to release any cash, which means Allardyce is unlikely to do a deal for Manchester United defender Wes Brown. (Daily Mirror)

The Magpies are also set to release injured defender Celestine Babayaro, paying the remainder of his contract which expires at the end of the season. (Daily Mirror)

Derby and Sheffield United are battling it out to sign Bolton's veteran midfielder Gary Speed. (Daily Star)

Ipswich are giving a second trial to FC Moscow's 28-year-old Poland international midfielder Damian Gorawski. (Daily Star)

Reading boss Steve Coppell is keen on £3m-rated French centre-back Sebastien Puygrenier. (Daily Star)

Crystal Palace are to send on-loan striker Besian Idrizaj back to Liverpool as boss Neil Warnock is unimpressed. (Daily Star)

Wigan manager Steve Bruce is interested in Hibernian left-back David Murphy, but faces competition from Celtic and Rangers. (Daily Mirror)

Portsmouth boss Harry Redknapp will give a trial to forward Fabrice Pancrate. (Daily Mirror)

QPR are set to bid £1.2m for Wigan defender Fitz Hall, and are expected to beat Norwich and Coventry to his signature. (Daily Mirror)

Sheffield United boss Bryan Robson is planning a shock raid on Hull to sign Jay Jay Okocha. (Daily Mirror)

Derby County manager Paul Jewell has his eye on Manchester United defender Ryan Shawcross. (various)

OTHER GOSSIP

Cardiff are lining up Billy Davies to replace boss Dave Jones. (Daily Mirror)

Former USA boss Bruce Arena has revealed he is keen to become the new Scotland manager. (Daily Star)

Fabio Capello is set to be the new England boss after Jose Mourinho ruled himself out of the running. And the former Real Madrid manager could draft in ex-England stars Alan Shearer and Stuart Pearce as part of his backroom staff. (various)

Another Italian, Marcello Lippi, also remains in the frame to succeed Steve McClaren. (Daily Express)

AND FINALLY...

Former England manager Steve McClaren has finally won a trophy - the Plain English's Campaign's annual Foot in Mouth award. The prize is given for speaking a load of gibberish. (Daily Star)

Hardly bodes well for Allardyce if they won't let him sign anybody - probably just paper talk and bollocks like but if there is any truth in it then they are either pissed off at the amount of wedge they are being asked to spend or simply don't trust Allardyce to spend any - personally i don't reckon they are that convinced by him but it will be interesting how far they back him come january

I think there's plenty of money to be spent but there's no harm in crying poor to get a better deal come January. To withhold every penny would contradict the general direction of the club's transfer policy so far.

Howay man people. 1st it's Ashley is desperate to sell and make a quick buck, then it's Allardyce is about to be sacked, now it's Allardyce has no money to spend.

i can't see why a new left back should be a priority. it's midfield that needs sorting

Especially when he has just splashed £6m on one and is playing a left winger there....

i don't understand why he isn't playing enrique there more often. he's looked decent so far to me, while zoggy looks a far better bet further forward on the left wing - especially ahead of milner, who should be starting on the right ahead of the likes of geremi and smith.

i can't see why a new left back should be a priority. it's midfield that needs sorting

Especially when he has just splashed £6m on one and is playing a left winger there....

i don't understand why he isn't playing enrique there more often. he's looked decent so far to me, while zoggy looks a far better bet further forward on the left wing - especially ahead of milner, who should be starting on the right ahead of the likes of geremi and smith.

I can. He has his favourites.

Its so fucking obvious, its a shame our fat loon of a manager can't see it too.

Mort has said we splashed out loads on defenders that BS signed in the autumn and we should concentrate on getting them to play as a unit. I agree with him.

So do I. As far as I'm concerned, the defence is suitable for the moment. Now it's the midfield needs work, and we will need some $$(too lazy to make the pound sign ;) ) for that. Get out the chequebook Mr. Ashley.