The Match

Gemmill

I read in the paper yesterday that we're giving up our Academy facilities to Sky for 4 weeks so that they can make their celebrities-play-football programme "The Match". Apparently the youngsters will be using "alternative facilities".

An utterly fucking astounding decision by Shepherd - you have to wonder how many other clubs in the Premiership would do something so disruptive in the middle of a season (I'm guessing none). Can you imagine Arsene Wenger doing something like that?

I can imagine Wenger threatening to quite if told to do that!

But remember we are a club who in ten years hasn't noticed we are shite at throw ins, who make young players worse, who during prem games employ umpa lumpas as ball boys and one football in the entire fucking ground and give the DJ job to whoever wanders in from the local loony bin.

We are a massive professional club in some ways and in others we are a local park team.

34794[/snapback]

You could have gone on to say that Souness's failure to threaten to quit makes him responsible in the main for this happening. You missed a trick there, I reckon. :razz:

34794[/snapback]

You could have gone on to say that Souness's failure to threaten to quit makes him responsible in the main for this happening. You missed a trick there, I reckon. :blink:

34803[/snapback]

Not really, by deliberately leaving that open i felt confident you would fall into the trap and say it for me :razz:

I heard from a very good source that GS has no interest in the Academy, this would tend to go along with this. Of course, FFS may have made the decision regardless, based on the money he'll receive for it. Either way, the last programme was utter gash although it was funny to see a 40 year old Alec Stewart putting Ian Wright in his back pocket.

I have it on good authority that Souness didn't give a flying fuck about Blackburn's academy so this doesn't surprise me.

35248[/snapback]

Possibly....

But then KK had no interest in Newcastle's reserves playing at SJP and promptly abandoned the reserve team meaning that all the decent kids who were on the fringe, pissed off to other clubs....

But then KK was god, wasn't he?? :razz:

I have it on good authority that Souness didn't give a flying fuck about Blackburn's academy so this doesn't surprise me.

35248[/snapback]

Possibly....

But then KK had no interest in Newcastle's reserves playing at SJP and promptly abandoned the reserve team meaning that all the decent kids who were on the fringe, pissed off to other clubs....

35285[/snapback]

Deliver KK standard football, entertainment and results, get us into europe and finish 2nd in the premiership and Souness can happilly ignore the academy as long as he likes. Get results and produce the football we all love and you can get away with other things, its always been that way and always will.

35248[/snapback]

Possibly....

35285[/snapback]

Deliver KK standard football, entertainment and results, get us into europe and finish 2nd in the premiership and Souness can happilly ignore the academy as long as he likes. Get results and produce the football we all love and you can get away with other things, its always been that way and always will.

35328[/snapback]

Only KK dissolved the youth structure at the club and then walked away....

Granted, he did produce attractive football, but I would have given that up for actual success and longetivity rather than the short term 'Entertainers' we had...

Keegan planned for the short-term with a very expensive gamble. Had we won the league, the money would have rolled in, as would the world-class players to continue the trend. The money would also have paid for Alan Shearer rather than us having to sell quite a proportion of our assets to satisfy the bank.

Hence why in the summer of 1997, Dalglish was left with a thinning squad, little money in the bank and sadly, some cruical injuries. Hence why we ended up signing the likes of Pearce, Barnes & Rush....

Whether you accept it was the gamble was the right thing to do at the time, what we all have to accept is that the particular gamble KK took sent us back years in terms of youth development.

35248[/snapback]

Possibly....

35285[/snapback]

35328[/snapback]

Only KK dissolved the youth structure at the club and then walked away....

Granted, he did produce attractive football, but I would have given that up for actual success and longetivity rather than the short term 'Entertainers' we had...

Keegan planned for the short-term with a very expensive gamble. Had we won the league, the money would have rolled in, as would the world-class players to continue the trend. The money would also have paid for Alan Shearer rather than us having to sell quite a proportion of our assets to satisfy the bank.

Hence why in the summer of 1997, Dalglish was left with a thinning squad, little money in the bank and sadly, some cruical injuries. Hence why we ended up signing the likes of Pearce, Barnes & Rush....

Whether you accept it was the gamble was the right thing to do at the time, what we all have to accept is that the particular gamble KK took sent us back years in terms of youth development.

35338[/snapback]

I'm not saying whether it was right or wrong, just pointing out as long as you deliver on the pitch where fans can see then you will be able to get away with other stuff.

Keegan did better than anyone else we've had in recent times, but i wasn't happy with his decision on the reserves and his attention to youth players as they are important in the background of what happens on the pitch on mathcday.

35248[/snapback]

Possibly....

35285[/snapback]

No.

35248[/snapback]

Possibly....

35285[/snapback]

emm not in my eyes no. Tactically naive but a good motivator and a good figurehead for the club. But his discarding the academy and reserve team did years of damage to the club imho like :blink:

35338[/snapback]

Agreed. We lost out on Michael Carrick because of Keegan's youth policy.

Paul Brayson looked to be a brilliant prospect, but just rotted away and ended up in the lower leagues, because Keegan wasn't arsed about the academy, and therefore the youth team didn't get the breaks or guidance they should have been getting.

Keegan did a lot of good for NUFC, but those who say he looked at the short term and as a result the long term (such as the youth teams) suffered are dead right.

Other names which feel by the wayside were Darren Huckerby and Chris Holland. Both who at the time, we considered to be a bit special but, because we had no reserve league, they weren't fussed at staying...

All this was lost due to the cutting up of the SJP pitch. Keegan wanted the reserves to play their matches at Gateshead International Stadium, the league wouldn't allow it. The irony of it all is that even now, the pitch has always been as shite at certain points of the season as it was back then.

35338[/snapback]

Agreed. We lost out on Michael Carrick because of Keegan's youth policy.

Paul Brayson looked to be a brilliant prospect, but just rotted away and ended up in the lower leagues, because Keegan wasn't arsed about the academy, and therefore the youth team didn't get the breaks or guidance they should have been getting.

Keegan did a lot of good for NUFC, but those who say he looked at the short term and as a result the long term (such as the youth teams) suffered are dead right.

35679[/snapback]

Paul Brayson wasn't good enough, simple as. The best academy in the world wouldn't have altered that.