3 dead doing Great North Run

Gemmill

Unlucky! Fucking pointless waste of time anyway imo. Ooh lets get dressed up in a chicken uniform and wave at the cameras, hopefully someone i know will see me.

Do me a favour and throw your self off the tyne bridge when you're crossing it, sad cunts.

Unlucky! Fucking pointless waste of time anyway imo. Ooh lets get dressed up in a chicken uniform and wave at the cameras, hopefully someone i know will see me.

Do me a favour and throw your self off the tyne bridge when you're crossing it, sad cunts.

34863[/snapback]

Oooh someones a sour puss today :razz:

34863[/snapback]

Or lets actually do something that gives people a sense of achievement and also raises thousands of much needed pounds for various charities? Get off your high horse for fucks sake.

Back to the actual topic - my cousin did the run today and he said that the heat was pretty unbearable. He's a seasoned runner and ended up having to walk from the 10 mile point as he said it was pretty hard going. He also saw 2 of the fatalities receiving CPR along near the end of the course. Really sad news. RIP.

In all seriousness it is a shame that there were tradgedies but people know the risks before participating in such activities, I'm just pissed because I couldn't get across to my mothers for my sunday dinner due to roads being shut etc.

34916[/snapback]

Oh well, that more than justifies this then..

In all seriousness it is a shame that there were tradgedies but people know the risks before participating in such activities, I'm just pissed because I couldn't get across to my mothers for my sunday dinner due to roads being shut etc.

34916[/snapback]

Oh well, that more than justifies this then..

34918[/snapback]

I thought so

:razz:

no surprise really - 50 million people in England live 80 years so 625000 peopel die each year = 1712 a day or 1 in 29000

you'd expect a couple to die just on the numbers involved ++50,000 people

plus they are doing dangerous sporting events (like exericise) plus runnign through the living hell of S tyneside.....................

Tragic obviously. One thing I've never understood about it though: you toil for 13 miles and where do you end up? South Shields - there seems to be some sort of injustice there.

Bizarre this-well I say bizarre, it seems unprecedented, but I dare say there are numerous mass participant distance road races where people do die after the event, it's just very odd that there have been so many die during this one.

Speaking without having heard any reports about the people involved in the tragedies, am I right in thinking that they involved participants who really had no business trying to run a half marathon in the first place? I mean from the point of view of physical health/lifestyle etc. Clearly in hindsight they shouldnt have yeah yeah yeah etc etc..... but you know what I mean-people who just didnt have the necessary level of fitness due to factors that should probably have been more obvious to them?

Anyway a sobering thought. Wonder if it will affect the numbers for next years event?