RlCO

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully 2008 will be a good year, but I've no clue what's to come and so I'll reserve judgment. 2007 for me was a bit meh - had some good and bad times but nothing much exciting has happened. Need to work hard now and despite that fact I'll turn 18 in 10 days, my social life is getting smaller (may be a good thing with all this work). Need to get the grades to go to university at Exeter or Nottingham - that is should I decide to this year. Will see how things go.

Don't come to Nottingham, it's got a small town mentality and it's full of twats.

it's all full of "innit" and "blaps"

:lol:

Hopefully 2008 will be a good year, but I've no clue what's to come and so I'll reserve judgment. 2007 for me was a bit meh - had some good and bad times but nothing much exciting has happened. Need to work hard now and despite that fact I'll turn 18 in 10 days, my social life is getting smaller (may be a good thing with all this work). Need to get the grades to go to university at Exeter or Nottingham - that is should I decide to this year. Will see how things go.

Don't come to Nottingham, it's got a small town mentality and it's full of twats.

it's all full of "innit" and "blaps"

:lol:

I quite like Nottingham. :huh:

Rather annoyingly, Fish has it bang on the money.

I was born in Nottingham, lived there for the first 18 years of my life and go back every now and then. There's a lot of things I still like about it - the shopping, the pubs (we have THREE pubs that claim to be the oldest in the country) and the nightlife, although all the places I used to go to have changed quite a bit.

What I hate, and something I've never fully realised until this latest visit, is that everyone thinks they have something to prove. The city has acquired notorious reputation due to areas like the Meadows and St Anns, the latter particularly containing bonafied gun toting gangsters. As these places can be easily avoided they're not really the problem. But every loser from the poorer parts of Nottingham - and lord knows we've got our share - Bilborough, Chilwell, Bulwell, Strelley, Forest Fields, Hyson Green, Clifton, Radford, and so on - takes it upon themselves to act as if they're fucking Tommy DeVito. I got into a fight in Beeston of all places last week with some dickheads from Chilwell who have nothing better to do than cause trouble.

There's also something about the city centre at night - perhaps because it has a central square, and that everyone has to stumble through it to get to their bus or taxi - just reminds me of all those 'drunken Britain' TV reports/programmes - people staggering about off their heads, throwing up, getting into fights - hardly unique to Nottingham but it seems much worse than Leeds, Manchester or Birmingham. Maybe just because it's smaller.

Nottingham is a great place - it's just full of dickheads.

How come you don't like it Luke - I could swear you did also.

I'm not doing politics anymore Dan, but still considering Exeter. PPE for you is it not? Whereabouts might you go?

I'm just doing straight politics now. Got offers from Durham, Warwick, Newcastle and Edinburgh and rejected by Oxford. What are you applying for now?

I was born in Nottingham, lived there for the first 18 years of my life and go back every now and then. There's a lot of things I still like about it - the shopping, the pubs (we have THREE pubs that claim to be the oldest in the country) and the nightlife, although all the places I used to go to have changed quite a bit.

What I hate, and something I've never fully realised until this latest visit, is that everyone thinks they have something to prove. The city has acquired notorious reputation due to areas like the Meadows and St Anns, the latter particularly containing bonafied gun toting gangsters. As these places can be easily avoided they're not really the problem. But every loser from the poorer parts of Nottingham - and lord knows we've got our share - Bilborough, Chilwell, Bulwell, Strelley, Forest Fields, Hyson Green, Clifton, Radford, and so on - takes it upon themselves to act as if they're fucking Tommy DeVito. I got into a fight in Beeston of all places last week with some dickheads from Chilwell who have nothing better to do than cause trouble.

There's also something about the city centre at night - perhaps because it has a central square, and that everyone has to stumble through it to get to their bus or taxi - just reminds me of all those 'drunken Britain' TV reports/programmes - people staggering about off their heads, throwing up, getting into fights - hardly unique to Nottingham but it seems much worse than Leeds, Manchester or Birmingham. Maybe just because it's smaller.

Fair enough. Not surprised it's full of dickheads tbh, but there goes. Will still probably go there but am going to have another look in February, and at Exeter too, where I haven't been - somewhere a bit "nicer", apparently though I hear otherwise from a lot of other people who have been there. My sister is at uni there and she lives in Lenton, which is one of the poorer parts I believe and she seems to have a great time there. Then again, opinions do differ.

Used to love going to see DiY dj at Nottingham when I was a stude at Loughborough. That's about the extent of my experience. Plus a couple of games at the City Ground, one in particular I'd rather forget (Ian Woan :lol: ).

How come you don't like it Luke - I could swear you did also.

I'm not doing politics anymore Dan, but still considering Exeter. PPE for you is it not? Whereabouts might you go?

I'm just doing straight politics now. Got offers from Durham, Warwick, Newcastle and Edinburgh and rejected by Oxford. What are you applying for now?

I applied for a degree in theology and the like - something "academic" and the sort of thing I'm good at. Well my philosophy teacher who is also the headmaster thinks I should go for it, but there goes. Won't definitely take it though and may apply for something next year - maybe joint honours like politics and human geography. Bad luck on the Oxford rejection, but your other universities look good. Durham rejected me, probably because of grades. :lol:

Then again, opinions do differ.

No doubt, I've a few mates who went to Manchester Uni and they all slated it, so when a friends younger sister asked me what I'd heard, I told her. She went none-the-less (because her boyfriend was going to be somewhere near or something equally unrelated to the city itself) and she loved it.

I would still warn people off it, because that's the overwhelming story I've heard.

gram on here raves about Sheffield, and from what I've seen it's a shit hole.

I like Leeds and I'd bet there's a substantial number of people who fucking hate it.

either way it's best to ask around to get a feel for what kind of night life it has etc.

Then again, opinions do differ.

No doubt, I've a few mates who went to Manchester Uni and they all slated it, so when a friends younger sister asked me what I'd heard, I told her. She went none-the-less (because her boyfriend was going to be somewhere near or something equally unrelated to the city itself) and she loved it.

I would still warn people off it, because that's the overwhelming story I've heard.

gram on here raves about Sheffield, and from what I've seen it's a shit hole.

I like Leeds and I'd bet there's a substantial number of people who fucking hate it.

either way it's best to ask around to get a feel for what kind of night life it has etc.

Aye, having another look would be good. The problem with big cities is you will find lots of rough bits. I was born in Bristol and everyone says it's great (even if unfriendly), but even there some parts aren't nice. Same with Newcastle I'm sure. Overall it's very subjective and in the end depends on how enjoyable a person's time is there. I could understand if I got mugged, for example, I'd like Nottingham a lot less than however much I would if I hadn't.

Fair enough. Not surprised it's full of dickheads tbh, but there goes. Will still probably go there but am going to have another look in February, and at Exeter too, where I haven't been - somewhere a bit "nicer", apparently though I hear otherwise from a lot of other people who have been there. My sister is at uni there and she lives in Lenton, which is one of the poorer parts I believe and she seems to have a great time there. Then again, opinions do differ.

It's still a great city and I'm glad to have grown up here...I've just had enough of the place really.

I loathe Nottingham.

Had a good night there for my 17th (the other lads i share birthdays with are a lot older so i could get in( but thats probably because we were drinking from 7am on the train down :good:,

Not bad but i was wrecked and fell asleep on the travel in balcony quite high up (luckily we couldnt open the windows :rolleyes:)

Since then ive been a couple of times and its horrible...

Cautiously optimistic about 2008. Last year was pretty good in various respects, even if it was all a bit mundane and predictable ("learning enough Swedish to finally have a passable conversation with my gran before she pops her clogs" wouldn't be everyone's idea of a crowning achievement, after all), whereas this year everything's a bit up in the air - the fella graduates in May/June, so we could frankly be living anywhere and doing anything 12 months from now. Adds a bit of spice to things I suppose.

Happy new year everybody. :good:

Anyone who thinks Nottingham is bad should try Leicester or (shudder) Derby

What's wrong with Leicester?

if ever the world needs an enema, that's where it's going [/billyconnollyamongstmanyothers] :good: