Messiahitis

Happy Face

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good managers are good managers, bad managers are bad managers, time has nowt to do with it. This is just a myth perpetuated in whispering circles by muppets.

If NUFC ever got a 'good' manager, then giving him time would be the appropriate course of action, and comparisons to Real Madrid would still be ridiculous compared to a comparison with Alex Ferguson.

And out of interest which PL clubs would you mark out as having continued success from frequently changing managers?

Chelsea have probably had as many premier league managers as us. But then they're no comparison either what with their billionaire owner.

Yes, let's wait for Mourinho and then buy every player available. Success here we come!

FA cups, league cups and cup winners cup in the decade before he even arrived.

I'm not saying we should get rid of Allardyce by the way. Just that i'm sick of comparisons with Fergie and the cliche of managers needing time. We're not Man U and most Premier league managers are either a relative success in their first year or they get sacked so there's not really any valid example of badly performing managers that turn it around to prove it.

HF, I don't get you. You don't like Allardyce, you think he's shit, but you above all (except maybe the Fish) are arguing that we keep him. Why? Do you think that giving him time, even though you think he's awful, is going to make us a better team? Or do you just want us to keep a manager for the sake of it so we might lose the 'trigger happy' tag?

HF, I don't get you. You don't like Allardyce, you think he's shit, but you above all (except maybe the Fish) are arguing that we keep him. Why? Do you think that giving him time, even though you think he's awful, is going to make us a better team? Or do you just want us to keep a manager for the sake of it so we might lose the 'trigger happy' tag?

Well mainly because I'm a supporter. I support the manager and the players until I find it impossible not to. That would normally be when we flirt with relegation which we've not done since Souness was here.

I never thought he'd play attractive football and never wanted him here. However, now he is, I think he can get us where he got Bolton for a few years, maybe start attracting better players for some (fingers crossed) european football and leave the job more attractive to a quality manager than it was when he started.

Or we could sack him and get another shit manager in his place. I guess that's the way the whole durned human comedy keeps perpetuatin' it-self, down through the generations, westward the wagons, across the sands a time until-- aw, look at me, I'm ramblin' again.

How many of those clubs have gone through the same number of managers as we have in the past 15 years though?

How many clubs would put up with performances as continually as shite as ours ?

:D You won't even put up with double figures ffs.

Guest Patrokles
Martin Samuel's take on it...

There comes a time to climb off the fence and for Alan Shearer it has arrived. Is he in or out? Even the obstinate Sam Allardyce appears exhausted by the incessant speculation over his future at Newcastle United. Shearer could stop much of it with a few well-chosen sentences. He chooses not to, as his non-committal statement last night on the BBC showed, so the unrest continues.

This has been another season to forget on Tyneside and, whatever Shearer’s intentions, the love for Allardyce has all but gone. Yet it is the thought of the returning local hero that keeps another managerial change, with its ensuing chaos, at the forefront of so many minds. Alan Hansen endorsed his BBC colleague’s Newcastle candidacy last week and it is hard to imagine that he would have done so without seeking approval for his comments.

So, if Shearer wants it, why let Allardyce twist for the rest of the season as the club stagnate? If it is marked as Shearer’s job in the summer, as some believe, there can be no significant January transfer dealings and no respite from the air of negativity that has enveloped St. James' Park this season.

If Shearer has no interest in the role, why does he not say so? And if he does, what is he waiting for? Newcastle will be six points adrift of the top half of the table if West Ham United win their game in hand. European qualification is a fading dream; the club are nearer to Birmingham City than Manchester City. How low must it go before Shearer mounts his white charger?

Maybe he wants distance from the dressing-room, having so recently retired as a player. Perhaps coaching badges are an issue. Neither problem is insurmountable, though. Even Hansen claimed there is no better time to walk into Newcastle than now. The fans will not shut up until Shearer puts up: one way or another.

http://timesonline.typepad.com/thegame/200...ebate-is-s.html

Needs to replace "fans" with "papers" in that last sentence.

Samuels is a piss-poor writer. One of them there controversial types. Talks bollocks to antagonize.

Good managers are good managers, bad managers are bad managers, time has nowt to do with it. This is just a myth perpetuated in whispering circles by muppets.

QfuknT man.

I never thought he'd play attractive football and never wanted him here. However, now he is, I think he can get us where he got Bolton for a few years, maybe start attracting better players for some (fingers crossed) european football and leave the job more attractive to a quality manager than it was when he started.

you see, the problem I have with that argument is why would better players come to Newcastle while we are playing Bolton-type football? Even if Sam achieved success that way, the whole team would have to be re-built to compete at a higher level.

you see, the problem I have with that argument is why would better players come to Newcastle while we are playing Bolton-type football? Even if Sam achieved success that way, the whole team would have to be re-built to compete at a higher level.

good point mate

add to that Anelka, Stelios, Diouf even

Because at the time no-one else at this level wanted these players due to either their baggage, their inflated price or because of their age and if you think otherwise you are deluding yourself.

that wasn't the argument and you know it.

the players I mentioned are "flair" players, regardless of whether they were cheap, free or anything else.

Within the context of the rest of my post which you've selectively quoted, it's the only option for me.

Still, even taken out of context, I think it's fair to believe a team in Europe is going to be more attractive to players and managers than one which isn't, whatever style of football they're playing.

The whole team would has to be re-built to compete at a higher level at the moment anyway. How would sacking him in this position be more beneficial?

Patrick Barclay also picking up the theme of Shearer as manager in waiting. I hope they don't know something we don't.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...6/sfnpad106.xml

If we are seeking relegation.........as being definite, then Cockney Shearer, the 'Gimme More' is the one to see we get it.

His claim to fame.He as Assistant Manager to Glenn Roeder...look at Glenn to day and look at Shearer.....Sherarer has not the guts of a louse to admit he was as responsible as Glenn......Craig Bellamy will tell you this as would Bobby Robson...........he is not Managerial material........he is OK as a comedian....no Tommy Cooper, but up to the BBC's standards....very low.

Posted by Edward McKenzie. on January 6, 2008 3:27 AM

???????

Edited by spongebob toonpants

Within the context of the rest of my post which you've selectively quoted, it's the only option for me.

Still, even taken out of context, I think it's fair to believe a team in Europe is going to be more attractive to players and managers than one which isn't, whatever style of football they're playing.

The whole team would has to be re-built to compete at a higher level at the moment anyway. How would sacking him in this position be more beneficial?

At this point in time it wouldn't. A lot depends on the players he will bring in. The signings he's made so far have not been as bad as some have made out and it was sensible to get some better quality defenders. What he does with the midfield is the key area. I wouldn't want to see Kevin Nolan types coming in personally. What Wenger did to transform Arsenal would be the ideal, gradually improving the side with each signing, all of them capable of playing 'carpet football' as SBR would say.

Patrick Barclay also picking up the theme of Shearer as manager in waiting. I hope they don't know something we don't.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/main.jhtm...6/sfnpad106.xml

If we are seeking relegation.........as being definite, then Cockney Shearer, the 'Gimme More' is the one to see we get it.

His claim to fame.He as Assistant Manager to Glenn Roeder...look at Glenn to day and look at Shearer.....Sherarer has not the guts of a louse to admit he was as responsible as Glenn......Craig Bellamy will tell you this as would Bobby Robson...........he is not Managerial material........he is OK as a comedian....no Tommy Cooper, but up to the BBC's standards....very low.

Posted by Edward McKenzie. on January 6, 2008 3:27 AM

???????

The 3.27 AM bit is fairly telling.

I know in the past people have jumped on the bandwagon to slag Shearer off (something to this day I still don't understand), though to be fair it's usually the media guttersnipes that seem to spew the most hated bile about him BUT I don't see how anyone can pass judgement on what he may or may not be like as a manager. In fact it pretty much pisses me off how the guy's written of as shite before he's even been in a managerial situation. It's right that there are good managers and bad managers but to be honest until Shearer's had a crack - wherever that may be - it's a non debate. He's got attributes as far as I can see that should in theory make him pretty good but then he's also got flaws, on the up side Roeder's team certainly seemed to be better with him in as assistant manager but the job of assistant is totally different to manager. Shearer's also gained the majority of his coaching qualifications and apparently did quite well but then so did Stuart Pearce and look what happened to him. What I'm trying to say is Shearer is a legend for us and there will always be rose tinted anticipation for him doing a job for us, it may come off or it may crash and burn but until he does it I don't see how anyone can write him off and worse still slag him off. I've not got this 'messiahitis'... much, I just don't like to see people giving Big Al undue grief.

At this point in time it wouldn't. A lot depends on the players he will bring in. The signings he's made so far have not been as bad as some have made out and it was sensible to get some better quality defenders. What he does with the midfield is the key area. I wouldn't want to see Kevin Nolan types coming in personally. What Wenger did to transform Arsenal would be the ideal, gradually improving the side with each signing, all of them capable of playing 'carpet football' as SBR would say.

You're hoping Allardyce's the next Arsene Wenger and it's wishful thinking for me to hope we can get to europe and attract a better manager once we are?

:D

You're hoping Allardyce's the next Arsene Wenger and it's wishful thinking for me to hope we can get to europe and attract a better manager once we are?

:D

Hoping Allardyce is the next Wenger? Hoping he can evolve from the long ball merchant he was at Bolton to put it more precisely, he's never going to be a Wenger is he? I know what you are saying about attracting a better manager once we are in Europe, but it would be easier for anyone coming in if too much money hasn't been blown on technically weak players who are bought to play direct football. I'm not saying that's necessarily going to happen but it's a concern.