The press

Kevin Carr's Gloves

We should stop getting at each other. We should stop the anti sam stuff. We should support the players. the real reason for the negativity is the press. They have been hounding our club for years now. they see us a bastion of the north who do not conform to their southern ideals.

I know some journalists and I would not cross the road to piss on one of them if they were on fire. I am not an organ donor because they could not guarantee to me that none of my organs would go to a journalist. lets face it they are all the scum of the earth who quite literally feed off the faeces of humanity glorying in failure at all levels. They are a blight on society with freedom to print what they want without taking responsibility for their mistakes.

Burn them all.

Just in case any do come on here Craig mate :D

Edited by Kevin Carr's Gloves

I'm more concerned with what happens on the pitch rather than what is written in by the gutter press tbh.

That's the thing, the press only 'feed the fire', they don't create it.

While I agree "the press" have a lot to answer for, I'm not going to stop pointing out that the team's performances are generally unacceptable.

However on the subject one thought I did have today for all the "give him more time" advocates in the media - do they think McLaren should have sacked?

Lets do it maan! lets spread these good vibes <_<

Wouldn't it be far more fun to try and get some ridiculous views published.

'Toon Army theaten to start supporting Sunderland'

'Big Sam being stalked by drunken lass'

'Martins is Neo'

etc, haway lads - let's beat them at their own game! :D

We are highlighted way more than other clubs but...

When you have 50k passionate fans every week

We Sacked Robson (one of footballs few decent men) and ever since weve looked shit

We sign criminals, Barton/Woodgate/Boywer etc

We had one of the greatest centre forwards ever who some people cant let go of

We had a useless chairman/Now we have a good one

Mike Ashley wears his toon top to the match and is fat

we are generally shit this season

We are a fucking easy target!

While I agree "the press" have a lot to answer for, I'm not going to stop pointing out that the team's performances are generally unacceptable.

However on the subject one thought I did have today for all the "give him more time" advocates in the media - do they think McLaren should have sacked?

Don't like McLaren and I'm not saying he should have had more time but it does make me think of something - Bobby Robson failed to qualify for the Euro Championships in '84, but he wasn't sacked. If it was now, he would have been. That's why the Ferguson comparisons are particularly daft because he wouldn't have gotten the time were he appointed in the last 5 years, it just wouldn't happen now. The Wenger comparisons are daft because he won the double in his first season.

We Sacked Robson (one of footballs few decent men) and ever since weve looked shit

I think that obsevation may be wide of the mark. For while Ashley may have £billions, he isn't a true geordie, an accusation that could never be levelled at Freddie Shepherd.

The southern press certainly need to raise their standards though, they are rubbish compared to us.

I think that obsevation may be wide of the mark. For while Ashley may have £billions, he isn't a true geordie, an accusation that could never be levelled at Freddie Shepherd.

The southern press certainly need to raise their standards though, they are rubbish compared to us.

Ashley isnt the chairman

Ashley isnt the chairman

I don't understand why anyone even bothers to make this distinction.

I guess that means I wont be allowed on here when I pass my degree :D

I think this negative press coverage has united most of the fans. Even though a lot don't agree with BSA and his tactics they don't want to see this clubs name dragged through the dirt again. Over the past few weeks a lot of fans have began to realise they need to give him time.

I'm more concerned with what happens on the pitch rather than what is written in by the gutter press tbh.

Jimbo did want rid before any of the newspapers got started on him like.

Difficult to blame the press when our "supporters" do a fine job of dragging us down themselves.

;)

Difficult to blame the press when our "supporters" do a fine job of dragging us down themselves.

;)

:razz:

;)

Jimbo, did Milner not say himself he prefers the left?

;)

Jimbo, did Milner not say himself he prefers the left?

He did but Allardyce had a firm grip of his testicles at the time.

Hard to disagree with this:

On the face of it drawing 0-0 with Stoke doesn't appear a great result. After all, surely any Premier League team worth their salt should comfortably beat a Championship side, should they not?

Once again the media were building our third-round match against The Potters to be make or break for Sam Allardyce. Something that is becoming a bit tedious to say the least. This game was never going to be the last-chance saloon for Big Sam yet the press really wanted it to be.

Without wanting to sound completely paranoid, the spin which the BBC put on the match at full-time was incredible. Even with Alan Shearer sat in the studio.

(I'm never quite comfortable with Shearer talking about Newcastle United saying things like "They've got to do this" or "It's hard for Newcastle because..." It just doesn't seem right. Anyway I'm going off track a little there.)

The entire round-up at full time was devoted to Stoke. Well, yes this is the FA Cup and it's all about the underdog you could argue. But where does the BBC's policy on fair unbiased coverage come in? Nowhere, if there is a story to be made I guess. Not one of Newcastle's chances was shown from the second half even though we had some close efforts. Unbelievably Garth Crooks (God bless him) was adamant that Stoke should have had a penalty after Taylor handballed - something that even the most biased Stoke fan would have had difficulty making a case for.

If you were to look at the match objectively, we had just as many good chances as Stoke to win plus a huge chunk of the possession. Oh and we conceded a lot less fouls. Was that a lack of passion and commitment? No. I really don't think it was.

It was all part of Stoke's game plan. Rough up the big boys so to speak. It's always the case with the FA Cup. If you play a lower-division team then you know they will break the game up as much as possible. And that's what makes these cup ties so hard.

Everton, Blackburn, Bolton, Birmingham, Liverpool, Derby and Fulham are all top-flight teams who all failed to beat lower-league opposition on the same weekend of football. It's worth pointing out that all of those teams were playing against opposition below Stoke City too.

The point is that even for teams doing well and playing with confidence, the FA Cup can pose a real challenge. How about us losing 3-2 to Wolves when Sir Bobby was in charge? We had a better team then and still succumbed to a team in a different division.

It was never going to be easy at Stoke and (again) some of the misrepresentation that developed after our match is totally frustrating. To compare our performance to those against Derby and Wigan is way off the mark. It's all too easy to criticise if you don't win. But this wasn't an embarrassing performance. It was hard fought and not very pretty but Stoke certainly didn't dominate like we've been led to believe.

Nor did we lack the bottle to go at Stoke like we failed to go at Derby and Wigan. Of course, some credit must go to Stoke, they played to their strengths, but in reality only had a 15-minute spell when they caused us any real danger in the second half. Whilst they had many corners that are nerve racking when watching live, with hindsight how many really caused us any problems? Two, maybe, out of eleven. Hardly sustained pressure is it?

It's also about time our defence took some credit, something that, Tony Pulis the Stoke manager, at least acknowledged.

Just a quick question, can anyone tell me what the difference is between good defending and lucky defending? It appears all Newcastle's defending is lucky these days!

However, Taylor and Faye were outstanding throughout and have shown Allardyce who his first-choice centre-back partnership needs to be. It's a pity we'll be losing Faye to the Cup of Nations now as a bit of continuity at the back would be more than welcome. Unfortunately we won't get that just yet and it's something we're crying out for.

Whilst Man City have been doing well this season and more than a few Newcastle supporters have used the argument that Sven has done a lot better in the same time as Allardyce, don't forget that Man City have had a settled back four all season. We haven't. A settled back four counts for so much and knowing who you're playing with and being comfortable around them is important for any defensive unit to work to its potential. We've had virtual strangers playing at the back this season with the likes of Cacapa, Rozenhal and Beye coming in and out of the team all in their first season at the club. They are also experiencing the Premier League for the first time. While they are all Allardyce's signings, don't forget that in the summer the squad Roeder left meant defenders were a priority.

If we take a look at our team then it was the best available to the manager due to injuries and players missing for the Cup of Nations. It was balanced though, with two wingers and two forwards. The problem wasn't a lack of effort or commitment. Fitness and pace were the things that were lacking. Duff and Owen both coming back from injury are struggling for fitness right now and against a team like Stoke, on a heavy and wet pitch, that's not ideal.

It's amazing no one has really picked up on the fact our team doesn't have much pace in it. Apart from N'Zogbia and Duff, who has pace in our team? Owen is battling for fitness and certainly doesn't look like he'll ever be as quick as he was seven or eight years ago. The central midfield with Butt and Smith also had no creative spark. It's a shame Emre wasn't available as with half an hour to go he may have injected the spark that could have seen us progress.

Whilst there is often a lot said about bad tactics, with much justification it should be added, there is little been said of the 4-4-2 formation that has been played these last three games. Whilst the performances haven't been exhilarating, at least we've created a few chances albeit without converting any.

This is probably the main concern right now. We've stopped scoring. With away games at Old Trafford and The Emirates to come this month it's difficult to see that changing right away. If we look beyond those games then it's likely that that will change. This might sound negative but the fact is we only need 11 or 12 points to guarantee safety. I have faith in the players' ability to make sure we get way more than the minimum required. If the manager continues to stick to a 4-4-2 then maybe he'll restore some of my faith in him too.

The signs are that we maybe turning a corner, slowly but surely in spite of what is being written elsewhere about our club and even said by some of our own fans. It's sad but true that many have just given up on the team and written Allardyce off as another Souness. That is totally unfair in my opinion.

There are definitely two camps regarding the manager. Either get rid of him now or keep him until the end of the season and review the situation then. The first camp I would guess is made up predominantly of people who came along after Keegan. Sure, they may have supported Newcastle all their life but I doubt the majority went to St James' every week before Keegan catapulted us to the big time in spectacular fashion. They want the instant hit like Keegan produced and when it doesn't happen they demand change.

I'd put money on the second set being the people who have been going every week when Newcastle were struggling during the 70s and 80s. That went through the thick (and loved it) but also the thin. Today maybe a 'thin' time in Newcastle's history but it has been a lot thinner than this. How many of the current 52,000 actually turned up regularly and watched Newcastle get relegated?

That doesn't mean we don't want the best of course we all want Newcastle near the top as this club is capable of it. But dare I say it...the dreaded 'T' word. It's going to take time.

The argument that Big Sam has never won anything keeps cropping up amongst our own fans. But Souness, Gullit and Dalglish all won trophies elsewhere and were terrible at St James'. Having won no major honours doesn't necessarily make someone a bad manager. Look at Kevin Keegan. Maybe Allardyce won't be the answer but if we keep writing him off after every match then we won't get a chance to find out. At least with the new chairman and owner they appear to be less trigger-happy than the previous regime and I'm glad that Allardyce will be given the chance to put a tough Stoke team to bed.