betting

JaMoUsE

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I cashed out because I felt happy enough with the return (£62 from a small stake) and both the games that could still change were on a knife edge. Southampton were all over Man Utd and there was only 1 goal in it. Burnley Huddersfield was 0-0 and I think if it was 1-1 from early in the 2nd half I might have stayed in.

I'll also put big accas on (9 matches +), with the intention of cashing out at half time if the pot is comfortably bigger than my stake. e.g. I cashed out for £8 from a 50p, when the acca could have returned £3k. Sure enough a few minutes after I cashed out for a relative pittance the scores changed and the cash out sum dwindled into nothing. £8 is fuck all looking at the possible pot, but a big % profit on my stake.

Cash in does my head in, especially if i cash in then the full bet comes in, it's happened a few times for me but not for big money. Could you imagine if the £3 K came in and you cashed out for £8 

13 hours ago, The Fish said:

I cashed out because I felt happy enough with the return (£62 from a small stake) and both the games that could still change were on a knife edge. Southampton were all over Man Utd and there was only 1 goal in it. Burnley Huddersfield was 0-0 and I think if it was 1-1 from early in the 2nd half I might have stayed in.

I'll also put big accas on (9 matches +), with the intention of cashing out at half time if the pot is comfortably bigger than my stake. e.g. I cashed out for £8 from a 50p, when the acca could have returned £3k. Sure enough a few minutes after I cashed out for a relative pittance the scores changed and the cash out sum dwindled into nothing. £8 is fuck all looking at the possible pot, but a big % profit on my stake.

Mugs approach.

17 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Stripping the value out of bets for short term profit ensures long term losses ;)

I'd wager that I've won more money from cashing out than I would have won had I left it in. 

8 hours ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Even if that were the case it wouldn't be sustainable 

I dont cash out every bet and I don't bet as a means of keeping the lights on, so I'm all good lil buddy.

I just assume @The Fish is having a bit of fun and isn't intending to pay the mortgage with the winnings any more than he would expect with the lotto.

So the aim is for him to maximise his enjoyment, which from listening to him on the podcast he gets a laugh out of cashing out early.  And he gets that way more frequently than if he'd let it ride.

I also assume bookies take some sort of "vig" for cashing out early because they can prey on people's aversion to risk, but the act of cashing out early in itself doesn't reduce your expected value.

2 minutes ago, adios said:

I just assume @The Fish is having a bit of fun and isn't intending to pay the mortgage with the winnings any more than he would expect with the lotto.

So the aim is for him to maximise his enjoyment, which from listening to him on the podcast he gets a laugh out of cashing out early.  And he gets that way more frequently than if he'd let it ride.

I also assume bookies take some sort of "vig" for cashing out early because they can prey on people's aversion to risk, but the act of cashing out early in itself doesn't reduce your expected value.

Is the right answer.

I usually bet to make the Saturday 3pm matches I wouldn't normally care about, interesting.

9 minutes ago, adios said:

Not sure how cashing out is in any way a laugh or entertaining. If it's not about making money or attempting to then surely letting your live bets run makes more sense for entertainment purposes. 

12 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

So why cash out then? :lol:

... because a guaranteed £60 is better than a potential £120, from a small stake.

I've had fun choosing my bets, I've gone back and forth about if and when I should cash out, and then I've won sufficient money to be satisfied with. 

Not particularly outrageous, is it?

Edited by The Fish

5 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Not sure how cashing out is in any way a laugh or entertaining. If it's not about making money or attempting to then surely letting your live bets run makes more sense for entertainment purposes. 

You get a small dopamine boost regularly instead of a large dopamine boost rarely.

1 minute ago, The Fish said:

... because a guaranteed £60 is better than a potential £120.

I've had fun choosing my bets, I've gone back and forth about if and when I should cash out, and then I've won sufficient money to be satisfied with. 

I don't bet sports but I can totally understand this.  It gives you even more entertainment because you're sweating the cashout as well as the results.

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

... because a guaranteed £60 is better than a potential £120, from a small stake.

But why not just put a bet on with potential returns of £60 and let it run? It'd have a statistically better chance of landing than your £120 one offering you a £60 cash out.

4 minutes ago, adios said:

I don't bet sports but I can totally understand this.  It gives you even more entertainment because you're sweating the cashout as well as the results.

Sorry, I can understand somebody thinking this but not a pro poker player. Astonishing.

Just now, TheGingerQuiff said:

But why not just put a bet on with potential returns of £60 and let it run? It'd have a statistically better chance of landing than your £120 one offering you a £60 cash out.

Part of it is seeing if I'm a good judge of results. So if I put on a reasonably small stake but a large acca I'm "invested" in a stack of results.

I also put on bets like a double with both teams to score, or a team to win by more than x goals, so cash outs are just a way of having some measure of snatching a win from the jaws of defeat.

7 minutes ago, TheGingerQuiff said:

Sorry, I can understand somebody thinking this but not a pro poker player. Astonishing.

I understand that most people who bet, bet for fun, not profit.

I don't bet for fun.

Edited by adios