Does anyone actually want to come?

Scottish Mag

Playing Devils Advocate here...

If reports are to be believed in recent years we have been knocked back by the likes of Jol, Bruce, Big Sam, Redknapp, MON etc

People reckon, myself included, that we can surely employ a half decent manager but can we. Whilst there will be arguments that Dalglish, Gullit, Robson etc came with great pedigree the fact is every one of them was out of employment at the time and was it just a case of being the right time for them. The same could be said of Big Sam, Roeder was an internal appointment so that leaves Souness, who was a dead man walking anyway, as the only manager who we have actually managed to attract away from their club.

As I say I know all the factors that should attract people to take over the club, but does it appear that perhaps we are not that attractive as we would hope?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Its disapointing that the whole Redknapp thing has been done in public, but behind closed doors we don't know who (if anyone) has approached the club, CV's from managers might have been dropping on Mort's doormat all week.

On the other hand it would be interesting to see who expressed their interest and who the club knocked back and going for those second rate managers. I'm not too bothered by the likes of Bruce, Redknapp etc. rejecting us who were not inspiring choices anyway. The question is how high up they were on the list and were the likes of the tosser ranked.

Getting openly rejected by a top manager would be another thing though...

Mclaren would love the job tbh

Experienced English manager. What more are we asking for?

Exactly, him or David "Peasepud" O'Leary....

Bring on the good times... :lol:

The problem is, even managers like Boothroyd would turn the job down. This all leads from the untimely sacking of Sir Bobby I'm afraid.

The thing is (post-Robson) anyway why would people want to come here?

The temptation is the team and money, but neither of those are what they once were.

The drawbacks are the insane level of expectation and the equally insane history of sacking, both of which any sensible manager would realise may well damn them to failing before they ever got a chance.

Ferguson would have failed at Newcastle, even Jose (were he in anyway inclined to come - which I'm sure he's not) must see the resemblance with his own and prior issues at Chelski.

This said, with a new owner etc you might think people seen things in a different light. Though Sam got the push its easy for him (Ash) to say he wasnt his choice etc.

Not sure where we go from here. I think we need to go foreign and there just isnt any English manager that I think is up for the job or the fans would take to. Or welsh....

I would imagine the complete lack of patience will be a consideration for anyone offered the job. If you're Redknapp, why risk it? He's got job security at Portsmouth, why risk putting yourself in the position of looking for another job within 18 months?

ITK-tastic but apparently Redknapp would love the job but is concerned about leaving Portsmouth in the right way so don't be surprised if he still comes here now, or at the end of the season.

I would imagine the complete lack of patience will be a consideration for anyone offered the job. If you're Redknapp, why risk it? He's got job security at Portsmouth, why risk putting yourself in the position of looking for another job within 18 months?

££££ That's the only reason as far as I can see.

ITK-tastic but apparently Redknapp would love the job but is concerned about leaving Portsmouth in the right way so don't be surprised if he still comes here now, or at the end of the season.

ITK good enough to trust that you would put money on this?

Even Redknapp said Newcastle was a fantastic job for someone. You don't get 52,000 at Bournemouth do you?

Pedro speaking to Jamie R on the phone. Or so I heard :lol:

Even Redknapp said Newcastle was a fantastic job for someone. You don't get 52,000 at Bournemouth do you?

Ok, the main reason then :lol:

Pedro speaking to Jamie R on the phone. Or so I heard :lol:

You can get 25/1 on him now... :panic:

What do you mean 'in the right way' if there's still a chance he could come now?

You're ITK in anyway reliable? Because I've got money on the droopy faced fucker.

What do you mean 'in the right way' if there's still a chance he could come now?

You're ITK in anyway reliable? Because I've got money on the droopy faced fucker.

His ITK was first to tell us that Fat Fred was getting his books if memory serves me correct

Harry: “I gave a speech, only this morning, to the fans, assuring them i was staying at this club and that i certainly wouldn’t be joining Newcastle.”

Jamie: “Well why on earth would you do that?”

Harry: “Why? Ooh, a little word that I think’s important in management called morale.”

Jamie: “Well surely it’s gonna be worse for morale in the long run when you are going to join Newcastle and you’ve told people you won’t be.”

Harry: “...... they won’t remember.”

Edited by Nate