Toon army should march for Mark

Jimbo

I'm not sure I can begin to describe the frustrations of talking to a Newcastle fan about the club's managerial situation. I had the pleasure this weekend and if he is at all representative of the rest of the Toon Army, then I pity Mike Ashley, Chris Mort and anyone else who sails on the mental ship Newcastle.

There was understandable relief that Harry Redknapp had turned down the job, but there was equal disdain for Mark Hughes and his credentials. I argued a strong case for one of the finest young managers in the Premier League (only equalled by David Moyes in terms of managers under the age of 50) and I was told that Hughes was in no way good enough to manage the mighty Newcastle.

So who did he think would be up to the job?

Well, Jose Mourinho of course.

So why would he take it?

Potential.

Right, so he'll take the Newcastle job over, say, the AC Milan job?

Well, if he goes to AC Milan, then Ancelotti will need a job...

Ah, of course. This was actually argued with a straight face and no indication that the idea of Mourinho or Ancelotti taking over at the Toon was at all preposterous.

Let me make this as clear as possible: Hughes would be the best option for Newcastle of the managers who could be available.

He has done a phenomenal job at Blackburn with limited resources and has time and again (Roque Santa Cruz, Benni McCarthy, David Bentley, Ryan Nelsen, Christoper Samba...) come up with very good players for very small fees. He has established a club with low crowds and resources in the Premier League top ten in an era when other clubs are spending big just to stand still.

Forget the disciplinary record, Hughes' Blackburn play decent football. They may know when to put the boot in, but a player like Bentley would not thrive in a side based purely on rough-house tactics. Those are generally saved for when Arsenal come calling.

Pete Gill has explained elsewhere why Hughes would leave Blackburn for a club lower in the table, but we really should not have to explain why Newcastle would choose Hughes. They should consider themselves very blessed indeed if he agrees to take a job that's a whole lot less appealing than the Toon Army would have you believe.

Sarah Winterburn

I'm not sure I can begin to describe the frustrations of talking to a Newcastle fan about the club's managerial situation. I had the pleasure this weekend and if he is at all representative of the rest of the Toon Army, then I pity Mike Ashley, Chris Mort and anyone else who sails on the mental ship Newcastle.

I wish I could say I disagreed but...

For those who follow foreign football how likely is it that Milan (or Madrid as mentioned elsewhere) will be changing managers this year?

Just wondering if the Mourinho assumption is "true".

I'm not sure about Milan but I don't think Madrid will be changing manager as Schuster seems to be liked by the president etc, but Real have sacked managers after league titles and champions league wins.

Edited by Barton7

For those who follow foreign football how likely is it that Milan (or Madrid as mentioned elsewhere) will be changing managers this year?

Milan are struggling in mid-table with an appalling home record. It all depends on the Champions League for them since it looks like Inter will win Lo Scudetto again and they have no chance.

Milan are struggling in mid-table with an appalling home record. It all depends on the Champions League for them since it looks like Inter will win Lo Scudetto again and they have no chance.

aye Inter are pissing it, again.

Real I'd highly doubt will change manager. Schuster is winning, and winning well. Including 3points at the Nou Camp. Stranger things have happened at that club though.

Milan have really struggled at the San Siro though this season. However with Pato and Ronaldo to com back into the side, things could improve there.

Guest stevieintoon

There was understandable relief that Harry Redknapp had turned down the job, but there was equal disdain for Mark Hughes and his credentials. I argued a strong case for one of the finest young managers in the Premier League (only equalled by David Moyes in terms of managers under the age of 50) and I was told that Hughes was in no way good enough to manage the mighty Newcastle.

So who did he think would be up to the job?

Well, Jose Mourinho of course.

So why would he take it?

Potential.

Right, so he'll take the Newcastle job over, say, the AC Milan job?

Well, if he goes to AC Milan, then Ancelotti will need a job...

Ah, of course. This was actually argued with a straight face and no indication that the idea of Mourinho or Ancelotti taking over at the Toon was at all preposterous.

Let me make this as clear as possible: Hughes would be the best option for Newcastle of the managers who could be available.

He has done a phenomenal job at Blackburn with limited resources and has time and again (Roque Santa Cruz, Benni McCarthy, David Bentley, Ryan Nelsen, Christoper Samba...) come up with very good players for very small fees. He has established a club with low crowds and resources in the Premier League top ten in an era when other clubs are spending big just to stand still.

Forget the disciplinary record, Hughes' Blackburn play decent football. They may know when to put the boot in, but a player like Bentley would not thrive in a side based purely on rough-house tactics. Those are generally saved for when Arsenal come calling.

Pete Gill has explained elsewhere why Hughes would leave Blackburn for a club lower in the table, but we really should not have to explain why Newcastle would choose Hughes. They should consider themselves very blessed indeed if he agrees to take a job that's a whole lot less appealing than the Toon Army would have you believe.

Sarah Winterburn

NUR NURRRRRRRR

NWAF

The one plus point if we got hughes is that he would bring bentley with him! Every cloud and all that!

How do you know? And can you imagine the price Blackburn would charge for him, young and English and all that jazz.

Guest stevieintoon
Hughes is criminally overrated tbh.

He would fit in perfectly then at Newcastle ;):D;):yes

sheep.jpg

mehehehheheheheheheugh

120yrs.jpg

eeeh ba gum

charlton30768news2.jpg

"that's thou away end my mucker"

mosqueblackburn372ready.jpg

pakistan.jpg

or