Unusual Beers

Tom

Paulsanger Oktoberfest

Paulaner Oktoberfest?

Probably :D

Then it's a decent beer. You only get it in the summer and it tastes somewhat different every year depending on the brewing and how strong it is (IIRC normally ~6%). Were you drinking it Jormany or did you get it in England?

Paulsanger Oktoberfest

Paulaner Oktoberfest?

Probably :icon_lol:

Then it's a decent beer. You only get it in the summer and it tastes somewhat different every year depending on the brewing and how strong it is (IIRC normally ~6%). Were you drinking it Jormany or did you get it in England?

They have a Continental Market over here near the City Hall in Belfast every Xmas (work in Belfast Mon-Fri now in case you didn't know). They have a German Beer tent there and I went a few times. Had a 'Kristal', the name of which escapes me, which was nice too. Tried a few others but Paulaner :D was the most drinkable so I tended to settle on that.

Aye, you can't beat a decent Kristallweizen with a slice of lemon, even if it goes against all logic. I drink nothing else whenever I visit Mainz, unless we're getting fucked on happy-hour cocktails, obviously. Which is always amusing as the Germans don't seem to get the point of happy hour at all ("You mean we can get the same drinks we were going to anyway, but at a lower price? How pleasing.").

Paulsanger Oktoberfest

Paulaner Oktoberfest?

They have a Continental Market over here near the City Hall in Belfast every Xmas (work in Belfast Mon-Fri now in case you didn't know). They have a German Beer tent there and I went a few times. Had a 'Kristal', the name of which escapes me, which was nice too. Tried a few others but Paulaner :icon_lol: was the most drinkable so I tended to settle on that.

Does that mean you bought this "Oktoberfest" beer at a Christmas market? :D

I just looked it up: Paulaner only sell it from July to Oktober. So you were served the leftovers. I don't really want to know what else they served you. :huff:

Paulsanger Oktoberfest

Paulaner Oktoberfest?

They have a Continental Market over here near the City Hall in Belfast every Xmas (work in Belfast Mon-Fri now in case you didn't know). They have a German Beer tent there and I went a few times. Had a 'Kristal', the name of which escapes me, which was nice too. Tried a few others but Paulaner :icon_lol: was the most drinkable so I tended to settle on that.

Does that mean you bought this "Oktoberfest" beer at a Christmas market? :D

I just looked it up: Paulaner only sell it from July to Oktober. So you were served the leftovers. I don't really want to know what else they served you. :huff:

It was bottled btw.

Guest stevieintoon

The Krauts dee canny beer like that's for certain. Not keen on that Lowenbrau though. Isegrim that Oktoberfest in Munich, does it cost you to get in, say £20, then drink as much as you like? Or is it different to that?

The Krauts dee canny beer like that's for certain. Not keen on that Lowenbrau though. Isegrim that Oktoberfest in Munich, does it cost you to get in, say £20, then drink as much as you like? Or is it different to that?

No, you have to pay for every beer you order. Something like 7-8 Euro a liter (and they really sell it in those huge beer glasses - douple pints). There are tents from various breweries, but it's normally quite difficult to get tables (unless you put your towel in early). It's fun if you like to mix up with loads of drunken Italians (they come in masses), Brits, Americans etc. and listen to crap German music. Otherwise I recommend to visit Munich at another time and really enjoy the beer. I'd rather recommend the Starkbierzeit earlier in the year during lent where you get special beer.

Edited by Isegrim

Isegrim, you might know this. Is Kristallweizen an alien concept in Munich? I've only tried ordering one once there - admittedly nowhere near the Hofbräuhaus, Theresienwiese or anywhere else where people might have a clue - and the blank look I got from the waitress put me off ever trying again. :D

desperados.gif

fantastic beer. Rare as rocking horse shite over here though

You can get it in Blue Coyote. Awful name but not a bad restaurant on a Mexican theme.

Isegrim, you might know this. Is Kristallweizen an alien concept in Munich? I've only tried ordering one once there - admittedly nowhere near the Hofbräuhaus, Theresienwiese or anywhere else where people might have a clue - and the blank look I got from the waitress put me off ever trying again. :D

Kristall is just a filtered version and sold by most breweries, so I don't think it's an alien concept. Bavarian waitresses are a bit strange though. I once made the mistake to order a "Hefe" as it is called in the part of southern Germany where I live. She didn't (want to) understand. Then I said "Weizenbier" realising by looking at her the horrible mistake I made. "Aha, oan Woißbia wuist hoabn." I was really amazed to get my "Weißbier" served in a glass and not over my head. They should have warning signs "Vorsicht, bissige Kellnerin" in Bavarian beer gardens tbh.

Edited by Isegrim

Kristall is just a version and sold by most breweries, so I don't think it's an alien concept. Bavarian waitresses are a bit strange though. I once made the mistake to order a "Hefe" as it is called in the part of southern Germany where I live. She didn't (want to) understand. Then I said "Weizenbier" realising by looking at her the horrible mistake I made. "Aha, oan Woißbia wuist hoabn." I was really amazed to get my "Weißbier" served in a glass and not over my head. They should have warning signs "Vorsicht, bissige Kellnerin" in Bavarian beer gardens tbh.

:icon_lol: Sometimes it's probably better to pretend to be properly foreign when you're in Bavaria, rather than merely German foreign.

The most adventurous I get is when I go to Concord Tandoori and order Kingfisher

kingfisher_33cl.jpg

Indian and lursh. Not sure how 'unusual' it is but I haven't seen it anywhere else.

I've seen it in a few places (outside of Indian restaurants). There's a offie on Chilly Road in Heaton that sells it. Sainsburys in High Heaton has it in and Morrisons in Byker does as well.

The most adventurous I get is when I go to Concord Tandoori and order Kingfisher

kingfisher_33cl.jpg

Indian and lursh. Not sure how 'unusual' it is but I haven't seen it anywhere else.

I've seen it in a few places (outside of Indian restaurants). There's a offie on Chilly Road in Heaton that sells it. Sainsburys in High Heaton has it in and Morrisons in Byker does as well.

I'll answer my earlier question - How unusual is it? Not very :D

EDIT - I developed a hankering for Mythos while on holiday in Skiathos, although anything cold and alcoholic tastes nice in that heat.

Edited by Skol

I had that Kriek coming back from Euro2000 on the Eurostar, bought 8 bottles and I thought it wouldn't affect me. I was pissed by the time I got to Waterloo what a cracking beer though. Honest if you've never tried give it a gan, lovely stuff, it's red and tastes like a mix of cherries and strawberries, but is a beer.

Belle%20Vue-kriek.jpg

Belle Vue! Jesus Christ.

That stuff nearly Killed me last year. Waragem away game, was on the cherry version of that all afternoon in Ghent the day before the game. Didn't make me feel any worse than normal beer at first, but that was definitely not the case when I went to stand up!

They sell it in the Bodega in town, proper glass and all that. Same effect when you drink it here. :D

Just got back from a long weekend trip to Bruge. I'm not a real ale fan but went native and drank all manner of trippy shit (fookin 13% some of them buggers).

Found some ok ones (Bush) and some that were not to be recommended to your worst enemy (Guese Boon). Jupiler is served on tap and is just an everyday lager for the uneducated I think. It was the only thing I really enjoyed whilst I was there :nufc:

I went to a bar though that had the landlady come to your table with a bloody menu! Hell you could describe the sort of beer you would like to drink and she'd bring one that tasted like it!

Fookin brilliant night (lock in 'til 3am) and I even met a Geordie with a Dutch wife who'd gained a Geordie accent.